Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, so lately i have been trying out the kpo, and everything is perfect, just one thing that was a litte frustrating, the cable.

Maybe for some heavy mice (120grms and up) braided cable isnt so bad, but for really light mice like the kpo it makes the mouse inconsistent (aiming wise) the stiffness of the cable combined with the lightness of the mouse is just plain bad.

So here is a comparison btw a zowie EC1 evo cable and the roccat kpo

The mod is fairly straight foward, you just need to make sure the conector is the same, and that the wire coloring match on each wire.

For the cable i used a old gold plated razer deathadder 1800dpi one, very thin flexible, yet very durable this is the finished cable swap:

Another important thing to note, and this is something intresting was that the max tracking rate went up a bit , for max tracking speed i had 4,40ish m/s , now i have this:

Ps I didnt brake any warranty stickers so, if done carefully this wont void the warranty, just make sure to not damage anything and swap back the old cable when you need to rma it.

·
New to Coverlock.net
139 Posts
Usually there's just a thin cord with rubber covering like regular cords inside braided cords. That braided crap is just there to look fancy anyways and has become another useless gimmick to appease clueless buyers just like WOW 82000000 DPI and OMG lazer. Just flay off the braided stuff if it's annoying.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dont know how a braided cable can be more flexible than a good quality non braided one (refering to your statment on "working better") .

Braided cables were designed to have a clean look and to add rigidity so they are less flexible and harder to manage while swiping the mouse.

I also have a mouse bungee but, i play with mid sense and i need about 30 cm of swipe on my mouse mat.

So i need 20 cms of cable "after" the mouse bungee, and thats where the cable rigidity is felt despite having a mouse bungee.

A mouse bungee is just a cable routing device nothing more, people will argue that, if you put your cable close enough to the bungee the bungee will support the entire weight of the cable giving you a close to wireless experience, and yes, if you can play with 15 to 20cm, i cant.

The only drawbacks of non braided cable is the astethics, and stiffness to prevent damaging from pulling.

I never broke a mouse cable ever or had a case of bad contact, so im sticking with non braided cable.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pente View Post

Usually there's just a thin cord with rubber covering like regular cords inside braided cords. That braided crap is just there to look fancy anyways and has become another useless gimmick to appease clueless buyers just like WOW 82000000 DPI and OMG lazer. Just flay off the braided stuff if it's annoying.
That kinda breaks the warranty, i think.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I was going to try putting my DA 3G cable in my Avior but looking at some pictures online first I saw the colors were in a different order and didn't want to risk breaking the cable trying to re-arrange them.

I definitely prefer a good rubber cable but most companies are pushing towards braided these days.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmr1 View Post

I was going to try putting my DA 3G cable in my Avior but looking at some pictures online first I saw the colors were in a different order and didn't want to risk breaking the cable trying to re-arrange them.

I definitely prefer a good rubber cable but most companies are pushing towards braided these days.
Its pretty easy to alternate the order of cables , you just need a needle, then there is a little notch in each pin that prevents them from escaping the plastic enclosure, you just need to make some pressure to make the notch go down and then swap the cables by hand.

The hard part is putting the notch up again, but you dont need to just make sure you put connected the thing correctly and the cable wont come off.

If you dont know what im talking about search for molex recabling the principle is the same but on a bigger scale.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Posting as I'm hoping someone might be able to help identify the cable connector or point me in the direction of a replacement.
My Kone Pure has some pretty bad cable damage just before the braiding begins and keeps disconnecting. Roccat have only referred me to the reseller and Amazon won't touch it as it's 14 months old.
Electrical tape, solder or heatshrink won't really do the job as somehow about an inch of wire is unshielded so wondering if anyone can help out with where to pick up one of these cables with the connectors. UK would be a bonus.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetrap View Post

Posting as I'm hoping someone might be able to help identify the cable connector or point me in the direction of a replacement.
My Kone Pure has some pretty bad cable damage just before the braiding begins and keeps disconnecting. Roccat have only referred me to the reseller and Amazon won't touch it as it's 14 months old.
Electrical tape, solder or heatshrink won't really do the job as somehow about an inch of wire is unshielded so wondering if anyone can help out with where to pick up one of these cables with the connectors. UK would be a bonus.
check your pm

·
Registered
828 Posts
By the way I dont think the cable mod is a good idea. I doubt the KPO with the Zowie cable would adhere to USB IF specification in terms of signal quality and I also assume it would not pass CE/FCC regulations.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmquickfire View Post

Do the mouse cord cable need to have the exact same color as in the roccat cord. I tried a ****ty lenovo mouse, but it wouldnt work.
The cable has a connector that's commonly known as a filco connector and is used for keyboards.
With the filco cable I bought for a great UK shop that do custom USB cables (really fantastic place and if you ask for the pins to be the other way around I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem but they don't come cheap) anyway the wiring was an exact opposite of what is usually used for the keyboards so we hadn't noticed when I was talking to them before buying as the pictures just showed the wires in the same ordering
doh.gif

I swapped the pins around and but was in a rush and didn't do a great job, the mouse works but I bent one of the pins a little too far and the connection isn't great so I ended up replacing the mouse like for like anyway. I have no doubt they would have looked after me if I sent the cable back and they fixed it but at that time I had higher priorities and a willingness to complain enough to Amazon UK for them to uphold various EU and UK directives (that arguably belong to the manufacturer). Either way if you're UK based they will be great, they do ship internationally I have no idea on the pricing and they aren't cheap to begin with.

www.pexonpcs.co.uk
You might prefer just to replace the mouse at that point if you're in the USA, by the time you add some skidz or something it probably doesn't work out a huge difference in price. Of course if you're truly a terrible person PM me and there is an alternative.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.