Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
..."We need to keep in mind that Sim City is a mainstream game, it's not a game that is only going to run on high-end gaming PCs, it has to run in your Dad's PC as well. That is just a performance decision. Given that was the performance constraint we decided to work under, we built a larger region environment and a bunch of the multiplay to work with 2km cities."

"We'll eventually get around to expanding the city size, but I can't make any promises as to when."...
More at source

·
Registered
520 Posts
Yea, already read this. Believe it when I see it. Honestly though, the city sizes haven't bothered me so far. Region play is far more interesting now.

·
Banned
4,294 Posts
it's not a game that is only going to run on high-end gaming PCs, it has to run in your Dad's PC as well.

This line is complete bollocks.
Its this simple.
Make big buildregions.
Make small buildregions.

We then have Two options: Big or Small.
Dad picks Small.
I pick Big.

This wont affect him in any sort of way. But really now, you didnt hear them say this about the earlier simcity games, youdont hear cities xl dev complain or tropico.

·
Premium Member
10,928 Posts
Well that's great, as I'm already hitting the limits to my city... need to drain my oil well, and then work on rezoning the haphazard mess I made of it, to up my pop density again...

·
Premium Member
4,202 Posts
Tired of hearing all these "we designed it to run on your dad's PC" comments. How difficult would it be to allow the user to define their own environments based upon their machines ability to perform?

·
Eh, Wha?
9,947 Posts
So... they designed it for a Pentium 4 1.8ghz laptop with 512MB of DDR and 11-year-old Intel integrated mobile graphics? I think not.

In reality, they are just lazy.

·
Banned
4,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampen View Post

Tired of hearing all these "we designed it to run on your dad's PC" comments. How difficult would it be to allow the user to define their own environments based upon their machines ability to perform?
Developers keep forgetting we have Settings for that reason.
Guess theyre too used to developing for consoles firsthand.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero4549 View Post

So... they designed it for a Pentium 4 1.8ghz laptop with 512MB of DDR and 11-year-old Intel integrated mobile graphics? I think not.

In reality, they are just lazy.
Not lazy, greedy. This will come as a DLC. Either on it's own or part of a package .It'll sell a ton and they know it.

·
Premium Member
10,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stasis View Post

Not lazy, greedy. This will come as a DLC. Either on it's own or part of a package .It'll sell a ton and they know it.
I really hope that's not true, it's bad enough that I bough the limited edition deluxe version, for the 3 added DLC items... and every time I load a map, I get thanked for being a sucker... and on he games main screen, it still advertises to me to buy the DLC I already have... annoying...

·
Registered
551 Posts
Total annihilation did this what 16years ago.. Maps you played on depended on how much ram you had, you had a drop down box that filtered out the ungodly 64mb maps.. Of course you could attempt to play on those 64mb maps but if you had 32mb it ran really really bad..

How hard would it be to implement something like that or even take it out of the players hands and detect the specs of the machine on start up and adjust settings accordingly.

·
Eh, Wha?
9,947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garvani View Post

Total annihilation did this what 16years ago.. Maps you played on depended on how much ram you had, you had a drop down box that filtered out the ungodly 64mb maps.. Of course you could attempt to play on those 64mb maps but if you had 32mb it ran really really bad..

How hard would it be to implement something like that or even take it out of the players hands and detect the specs of the machine on start up and adjust settings accordingly.
Harder than not doing it.

·
Registered
846 Posts
It's pretty obvious this is about money. It'll come as paid DLC and the suckers will gladly pay for it thus setting yet another bad precedent.

·
Premium Member
14,984 Posts
So if I have understood, they released an unfinished game to milk as much money as possible, and then finish it when it is already released?

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artikbot View Post

So if I have understood, they released an unfinished game to milk as much money as possible, and then finish it when it is already released?
And charge you for the finished part.

·
Premium Member
5,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artikbot View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magariz View Post

And charge you for the finished part.
Yep, that's EA in a nutshell.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I'm sure they've already planned out their future DLC's for this, and this will be part of it. Basically all of the things that SHOULD have been in the game from the start. All part of the planned obsolescence. I estimate servers shut down in 2 years or less.

·
Banned
4,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarton View Post

I'm sure they've already planned out their future DLC's for this, and this will be part of it. Basically all of the things that SHOULD have been in the game from the start. All part of the planned obsolescence. I estimate servers shut down in 2 years or less.
This is the future of PC gaming.
Sadly, our PC gamers dont think for themselves, they get all excited no matter what game it is.
And SimCity sells like butter.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarton View Post

This is EA.

The DLC is even finished before the base game.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts