Overclock.net banner
21 - 40 of 47454 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmor View Post

If you don't get any other code than 8 when attempting to power on it's not the memory.
Do you mean in general or specifically on AM4 platform? 2666 at low latency should work for Hynix but I wouldn't be so sure about higher frequency at the moment.
well so far all i've gotten has been 8 (mostly) and 51 (two - three times?) and so far at least, only when i try to set the ram to 3000mhz via ai tweaker with docp standard. when it happens its when its cycling numbers and then just hangs at those two. if i set ai tweaker to default and leave ram settings to auto, again, so far, it boosts just fine.

i'm on beta 5704 bios. first thing i did after putting everything together was update to 5704 after the first bootup.

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffins View Post

well so far all i've gotten has been 8 (mostly) and 51 (two - three times?) and so far at least, only when i try to set the ram to 3000mhz via ai tweaker with docp standard. when it happens its when its cycling numbers and then just hangs at those two. if i set ai tweaker to default and leave ram settings to auto, again, so far, it boosts just fine.
I was referring to Sgt Bilko's situation.

In your case it seems indeed like unstable DRAM. Are they 2x8GB or 2x16GB sticks? Which bios are you on? Can you try manually setting timings to 16-16-16-16-38 and then try DRAM ratios in steps starting with 2400?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Quote:

In your case it seems indeed like unstable DRAM. Are they 2x8GB or 2x16GB sticks? Which bios are you on? Can you try manually setting timings to 16-16-16-16-38 and then try DRAM ratios in steps starting with 2400?
its 2x16gb sticks of corsair vengeance led 3000mhz cas 15 and beta bios 5704. i haven't tried to manually set. been scared honestly lol.

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Quote:

its 2x16gb sticks of corsair vengeance led 3000mhz cas 15 and beta bios 5704. i haven't tried to manually set. been scared honestly lol.
As in the initial post 2x16GB is troublesome. And you definitely should update to 5803 if you want things to work smoother without manual tuning.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Quote:

As in the initial post 2x16GB is troublesome. And you definitely should update to 5803 if you want things to work smoother without manual tuning.
i'll give 5803 a try once i finish setting up windows.
thumb.gif
though wonder why asus hasn't updated the download page to show 5803.

·
either freeze or burn
9,579 Posts
Beta state.
smile.gif

·
Registered
16 Posts
@elmor Given the issues with the CH6, would you still recommend this board, or do you think the MSI Titanium or Gigabyte Gaming K7 would be a better choice?

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driv3l View Post

@elmor Given the issues with the CH6, would you still recommend this board, or do you think the MSI Titanium or Gigabyte Gaming K7 would be a better choice?
Which issues in particular? Most stuff like SMT disable or DRAM capabilities are platform wide and not specific to the C6H.

·
Premium Member
6,820 Posts
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Bilko View Post

I just noticed them when you posted, seating was good but I've heard a little extra downward pressure on the CPU itself might help, that true?

No DMM here I'm afraid.
You shouldn't need extra pressure. Try reseating the CPU, just press lightly on the IHS while lowering the lever after seating the CPU. What about these leds, on or off?

I fixed it!

Turns out me using an EK waterblock was the problem, swapped over to a Noctua cooler and boots first time everytime, pretty sure it's something to do with the mounting hardware but I can't be sure.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Quote:

Which issues in particular? Most stuff like SMT disable or DRAM capabilities are platform wide and not specific to the C6H.
Quite a few folks have been having issues getting memory to OC, and some have had problems with not being able to boot, error codes etc.

It's possible that the reason for this is due to the CH6 being a lot more popular (and selling more), so we're seeing more instances of issues with these boards than others. Most do seem to get to some point of stability, but there are definite teething pains out the box.

I guess my question is.. if not the CH6, (and knowing what you do) would you go for the MSI Titanium or the Gigabyte if having to choose between them?

Thanks.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Quote:

alright i updated to 5803 and so far tested 2400 and 2666mhz and both booted just fine at 1.2vs with 16-16-16-16-38. slowly making my way up lol. i do have some more questions though. what is core performance boost exactly? is it some asus gimmick or a genuine, amd zen feature? and is performance bias worth enabling?

edit:
next jump from 2666mhz was 2933 and.. it wouldn't post even with cas 16. cycled through post codes for a bit and froze at F9.

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driv3l View Post

Quite a few folks have been having issues getting memory to OC, and some have had problems with not being able to boot, error codes etc.

It's possible that the reason for this is due to the CH6 being a lot more popular (and selling more), so we're seeing more instances of issues with these boards than others. Most do seem to get to some point of stability, but there are definite teething pains out the box.

I guess my question is.. if not the CH6, (and knowing what you do) would you go for the MSI Titanium or the Gigabyte if having to choose between them?

Thanks.
Can't really respond to that unless you show me any specific issue. All boards definitely have DRAM issues above default.

Tricky question regarding the boards, the Titanium seems horribly overpriced without reason so probably the K7 then.
Quote:

alright i updated to 5803 and so far tested 2400 and 2666mhz and both booted just fine at 1.2vs with 16-16-16-16-38. slowly making my way up lol. i do have some more questions though. what is core performance boost exactly? is it some asus gimmick or a genuine, amd zen feature? and is performance bias worth enabling?

edit:
next jump from 2666mhz was 2933 and.. it wouldn't post even with cas 16. cycled through post codes for a bit and froze at F9.
So what you hit there is what's described above and in the guide, DRAM Ratio's above 2666 have issues with 2x16GB. F9 is DRAM training failed. Next step is to stay with the 2666 DRAM Ratio and instead increase REFCLK (BCLK Frequency).

CPB is the AMD equivalence of Intel's Turbo Boost. It's what makes your CPU Ratio increase during single threaded loads. Unfortunately we can't tune it so it doesn't work well when overclocking (only up to 102-103 BCLK Frequency at default settings). It's disabled automatically if left Auto and overclocking.

·
Meddling user
7,423 Posts
Quote:

CPB is the AMD equivalence of Intel's Turbo Boost. It's what makes your CPU Ratio increase during single threaded loads. Unfortunately we can't tune it so it doesn't work well when overclocking (only up to 102-103 BCLK Frequency at default settings). It's disabled automatically if left Auto and overclocking.
Shame, any likely hood in future UEFI releases?

·
RadeonMOD Author
742 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
So im not sure if i just have a good chip but i got my gskill trident z 3200 cl14 2x8gb memory running just fine no bios update just plug and play. albeit its running at cl16 instead of 14 right now but i haven't messed around in the bios at all. This is with an and 1800x stock clocks,

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·

·
Premium Member
6,820 Posts
ok, got my EK Predator working, had to remove the rubber punch out in the gasket that goes between the board and backplate.

after I did that all was well.

Still only getting 3.9Ghz out of this chip though, takes 1.44v just to boots into windows
frown.gif

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Quote:

ok, got my EK Predator working, had to remove the rubber punch out in the gasket that goes between the board and backplate.

Still only getting 3.9Ghz out of this chip though, takes 1.44v just to boots into windows
frown.gif
Wow that has to be the worst I've seen so far. R7 1700? Strange with these EK mounting issues, gonna have to look into that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlestereo View Post

What config (speed, timings and voltage) would you recommend running this kit at on a CH VI? https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820232484
BCLK Frequency = 112.5 MHz
DRAM Frequency = 3000 MHz (2666 ratio)

Timings 14-14-14-14-36

DRAM Voltage = 1.35V

If that works you can keep increasing BCLK Frequency until you get issues (probably around 3100-3200). When you've found the max DRAM frequency you can keep trying higher BCLK Frequency with lower DRAM ratio to further improve performance (eg 125 MHz with 2400 ratio or 140.6 MHz with 2133 ratio).

·
Premium Member
6,820 Posts
Quote:

Quote:

frown.gif
Wow that has to be the worst I've seen so far. R7 1700? Strange with these EK mounting issues, gonna have to look into that.
Sorry, takes my 1700x 1.44v to boot into windows at 4.0, for 3.9 takes 1.387v to get stable, I should have expanded on that (been a long 2 days for me)

That's with my 2x8 Vengeance 3200c16 stick running at 2666c16 as well.

I won the lottery on my 7890k, I got a good 9590 as well so my luck with AMD was bound to run out at some point
frown.gif

21 - 40 of 47454 Posts