Overclock.net banner

45541 - 45548 of 45548 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts

·
Sexagenarian
C6E R9 3950X 32g DDR4 3200 500gb M.2 2x4gb Toshiba HDD EVGA GTX 1070Ti air cooled ( Noctua NH-D15S )
1,054 Posts
As early adopter I do not regret the buy of my AMD components. With the B550 and Ryzen 5xxxx combo we have a really mature platform which seams to be the new reference. So going R5x with fast DDR4 is in my opinion more durable then a whole new platform with all it's quirks and glitches. The good thing is we do not have to buy on day one and see how the prices will develop in the next few months.
Once the bugs were ironed out the C6E has been a stellar platform although the 3950X is a pi55 poor overclocker I have 2 neither overclock . they are on identical systems one with windows one with Linux Mint , Could dual boot but can not run both at once that way .
I am hoping to get a similar result ( or better ) from Zen 4 as it looks as if I am skipping Zen 3 - My gaming Pc is not that flash ( 3700X with 16 gb ram and 5700Xt on an X470 Asrock Taichi - now that is a platform that has issues )

·
Registered
30 Posts
I hold out hope that one day, something will be available, but even if it is.. it won't be announced until after Jan 2021. Perhaps even longer.. it could even be another six months after that. Even the 5700X or 5600 won't be available until then. Everything in the next few months is aimed at promoting premium products, high prices and the latest boards.

I'd be surprised if there is never any support, but the goal is to direct sales to 400 and 500 series motherboards. Basically.. X570 and B550. Don't bet on there being support, and don't expect it to be 100% reliable or bug free. If you need a 5000 series CPU there's better options. Because it'll be newer, solid VRM, better BIOS support, PCB layouts etc. But I do think there's a chance, 12 months from now that something will be available. Official or unofficial. If the Biostar A320 could get support for 3950X, the CH VI should get support for 5800X or 5900X. And it'll run it fine assuming the BIOS is well made.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Once the bugs were ironed out the C6E has been a stellar platform

Funny how two people can own the exact same product, and have two completely different views on it.:)

After owning the C6E, I will never again purchase another Asus product.
Their tech support is horrible, faults that I attempted to get fixed when I first purchased the board, nearly two years ago, are still in the current BIOS.
I've seen several beta BIOS's show up on this forum, with numerous faults, only to be released by Asus a month or so later, with a new version number, and all the same faults (a quick check with a hex editor, shows them to be identical).
Take a look at the "Radiator Fans" section in the C6E BIOS, everything is labelled incorrectly, not what I expect from a top tier offering.
The sleep and resume bugs still haven't been sorted out in what, the last 4 BIOS's.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The sleep and resume bugs still haven't been sorted out in what, the last 4 BIOS's.
Well, it had to be fixed at some point.

There, Shamino shared a beta BIOS for the C7H (basically same board as ours, they've always shared the same bugs and features, even that infamous release with the bugged mouse support in BIOS, lol) that fixes fabric clock set to half speed after resuming from sleep, and it also includes the PBO FMAX enhancer feature.

That work should eventually find its way to our board.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I had at very beginning memory issues, slow boot and sometimes weird power lock downs. I had couple days a go power lock down. It's now very rare and stable at current stage. It's a bit sad now no support for 5000-series. This old horse is still very capable running new CPUs. I'm using now running 3200-14 memory at 3800-16 and all four lines been used to get 32 GB memory.

·
Registered
11 Posts
if C7H get a beta for Zen3 then we have a chance for ryzen 5xxx support on C6H, it may come unofficially, probably via modded bios. We know that C6\7 share the same AGESA code for Zen2 (Combo PI V1). The only bad thing - we will never get an update on PCB and RAM overclocking (which is far outdated comparing to best b550 boards)

·
AMD Red Team FTW!
1,874 Posts
Tell us if you fixed the problem, I hope it's just thermal paste... :)
Well, I bought some deepcool thermal paste and it seems to maybe have done the trick, but i have to put the power plan on power saving

I honestly hate how aggressively Ryzen boosts and it runs hot

Also, I was wondering if anybody used GD 9000 thermal paste from ali express? it's cheap and there's a lot of reviews of it on youtube

45541 - 45548 of 45548 Posts