Overclock.net banner

45821 - 45840 of 46553 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
@sadaharu keep the mobo. You can upgrade 3300X or better if you have extra cash. I dont say you should upgrade 3300X but it even beats your current CPU on gaming. Seems you have b-die memory you could run it easily >3600 MHz with 3000-series. Heat not be issue but if you have problems you can always add more fans and I recommend Arctic P12 and P14 fans. They are good as Noctua's fans less than half the price. Also Arctic have new AIO liquid cooling that beats everything. Anyway AM4 is dead end socket. 5000-series is fast on gaming but not really worth the price and hassle if have a good motherboard and not 400-series.

·
Registered
15 Posts
@sadaharu keep the mobo. You can upgrade 3300X or better if you have extra cash. I dont say you should upgrade 3300X but it even beats your current CPU on gaming. Seems you have b-die memory you could run it easily >3600 MHz with 3000-series. Heat not be issue but if you have problems you can always add more fans and I recommend Arctic P12 and P14 fans. They are good as Noctuan fans less than half the price. Also Arctic have new AIO liquid cooling that beats everything. Anyway AM4 is dead end socket. 5000-series is fast on gaming but not really worth the price and hassle if have a good motherboard and not 400-series.
Thanks again for the reply.

My case is Corsair 680x and airflow is good. I replaced back exhaust fan with nzxt 140mm and i added two 140mm corsair af140 fan to bottom as an intake. Inside the case it's very cold.

I love VI hero. Music, sounds effects are great. It has tons of USB ports which i use a lot. Build quality is awesome. Looks nice. etc etc. i just don't wanna give up on it.

But 1700x started to break. It heats up. Overclocking it is not very possible cuz mine has a terrible silicon. Didn't age well at all.

So i was hoping 3600XT upgrade would be nice. Or i might even get 3700x i dunno.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Hello. I have problem which I hope somebody here could help me resolve.

I have a C6E motherboard which I upgraded with a 3700X (from a 2600X). After the upgrade my Corsair MP510 NVME drive only works at SATA-3 speeds, that is max 500MB/s read speed. I have tried three different BIOS versions so far, including the latest 7901 which I am current using, but the problem persist. I tried forcing the drives to NVME Gen 3, but that did not working either. I also tried the drive in both NVME slots, but it does not matter which slot I use; the drive still is slow. I also have a Samsung 970 EVO which works alright though.

I also have another question, which BIOS version would you recommend me to use?
According to [NOT OFFICIAL]-Crosshair VI (Extreme ONLY) BIOS Update thread - Page 16 pretty much all the newer ones are bugged. Specifically a sleep bug is mentioned, but for me sleep seems to work just fine, I am using Linux though so maybe the bug is only triggered in Windows?

·
Registered
20 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
I can confirm the B450 bios on B350 board works like a charm.

As for CH7 bios on CH6:
  • Flash chip size on CH7 is 256Mbit vs 128Mbit on CH6 (32MB vs 16MB)
  • Bios file size is also double. Half of it is just blank, however it's not a single block, but several blocks scattered across the whole binary
  • Bios chip on CH7 is 1.8V rated, the one on CH6 is 3V, but I haven't measured if the the actual power on voltage is 3.3V or 1.8. The programmer flashed it with 3.3V on the VCC pin
  • T-topology vs Daisy-Chain, but this is probably not a problem

So, some sort of a modification is needed - either mod a bios or mod the board by replacing the flash chip with a larger one and hope that it will work.
Direct flash is not possible, because the stock CH7 bios does not fit on CH6.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I can confirm the B450 bios on B350 board works like a charm.

As for CH7 bios on CH6:
  • Flash chip size on CH7 is 256Mbit vs 128Mbit on CH6 (32MB vs 16MB)
  • Bios file size is also double. Half of it is just blank, however it's not a single block, but several blocks scattered across the whole binary
  • Bios chip on CH7 is 1.8V rated, the one on CH6 is 3V, but I haven't measured if the the actual power on voltage is 3.3V or 1.8. The programmer flashed it with 3.3V on the VCC pin
  • T-topology vs Daisy-Chain, but this is probably not a problem

So, some sort of a modification is needed - either mod a bios or mod the board by replacing the flash chip with a larger one and hope that it will work.
Direct flash is not possible, because the stock CH7 bios does not fit on CH6.

View attachment 2467269
Thanks for the info. So there is any chance? What would be required to mod it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the info. So there is any chance? What would be required to mod it?
From what I've seen poking around the C6H and C7H BIOSes with UEFITool, it will probably take a bit more work than just removing the blank space and flashing. Some of the padding (i.e. blank areas of the BIOS) on the 7 are also present on the 6, and is differently sized. Additionally, extracting the files (excluding the padding) puts the C6H at just 6.9 MB - while the C7H is 22.5...

Someone more experienced might need to chime in here, but from what I've seen we need to figure out where AGESA comes in, replace it with the 7H's version and cross our fingers?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yeah, I think that's a fair assumption. Either someone high up and extremely advanced could make/leak a custom BIOS done the proper way. Or someone just switches the AGESA code over. It might not be fully featured but it's highly possible that would allow basic functionality. There was already a custom BIOS for this board last year with AGESA code update only and it functioned ok. Of course, this is speculation. All of this would require some trial and error.

·
Registered
203 Posts
What it looks like to me is that the only way we run Zen3 CPUs on C6H is that Asus release beta BIOS. And this is highly unlikely.

Shamino is here on forum, completely ignoring C6H mentiones and posts.
1usMus is also deaf and he is now very busy with CTR.

So l would say, if Asus do not provide beta BIOS, there will be no chance to run Zen3. As times go by, l am less and less interested in this thing and am starting go make my peace with it.

ASRock A320 and Gigabyte X370 boards that are running Zen3 CPU have original MBO ODM BIOS, not modded.

Or this is a hard task even for experienced modders... or someone received "marketing assets" for NOT pursuing BIOS modding any further :D

• Rep+
Reactions: oile

·
Registered
206 Posts
Well, buying an ASUS premium board gave me very little return compared to other cheaper brands. Who bought a cheaper ASROCK board of any model got more future proof and better BIOS even on 16 cores. So that's a lesson learned, which I will keep in mind for my next build 3 years down the line.

AMD also looks bad here, they restricted 5000 series CPUs on 300 series board, but applicable just for ASUS, and without any valid technical reasons. If other brands got it at least AMD could open the doors and push the issue to motherboard makers.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have experience with modding bioses, but well older than this, e.g from socket A to AM2/3 era.
Things are a lot more complicated at the moment, so except the general idea, I don't have the knowledge.
Could probably start examining the bioses and learning, but it would take me a lot of time to actually do anything.
Honestly, I don't want to spend the time and hope someone more experienced will release a mod bios, or even better - an "unofficial" beta bios from Asus.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I also modded BIOS to run socket 771 Xeon processors on socket 775 boards, but this is some quite different s**t. Don't know even where to start with it.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Well, buying an ASUS premium board gave me very little return compared to other cheaper brands. Who bought a cheaper ASROCK board of any model got more future proof and better BIOS even on 16 cores. So that's a lesson learned, which I will keep in mind for my next build 3 years down the line.

AMD also looks bad here, they restricted 5000 series CPUs on 300 series board, but applicable just for ASUS, and without any valid technical reasons. If other brands got it at least AMD could open the doors and push the issue to motherboard makers.
Low to middle AsRock mobos have poor vrm desing. Can handle something like up to 8-cores. I wish they could do a little better there. I may be wrong there may be one good cheap mobo than can handle 12-16 core Ryzen easily?

Maybe Asus did gave us way too good mobo at first place. Now they want us to spent more? Because they making the "rules". It's that simple no support no money.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Look likes people doesn't care about the bad support Asus give to costumers , The Asus Crooshair VIII Dark Hero is selling big time , no stock for this model everywhere for a 400.00 US dollar motherboard

·
Registered
180 Posts
@Brko could you ask to your "gigabyte" friend if he does know someone who could help us? Shamino I think isn't allowed to help us right now. We need someone with knowledge or with manufacturer's legitimation

·
Registered
295 Posts
Look likes people doesn't care about the bad support Asus give to costumers , The Asus Crooshair VIII Dark Hero is selling big time , no stock for this model everywhere for a 400.00 US dollar motherboard
Too much. I paid C6H around 300€ at launch. That VIII Dark Hero mobo is over 500€ in Finland 😂

·
Registered
203 Posts
@Brko could you ask to your "gigabyte" friend if he does know someone who could help us? Shamino I think isn't allowed to help us right now. We need someone with knowledge or with manufacturer's legitimation
Sure. Will ask him.
Don't know what Shamino can on cannot say, but the only thing l know that we are ignored completely.
i hope someone comes through. Motherboard prices are ridicilous
Prices of everything is ridicilous. Zen2 and Zen3 processors and this + last gen GPUs.
And yet, people are buying everything without asking for price.

Unpopular opinion now: At this price point and availability of Zen3 processors, in my point of view, l really do not need BIOS for it :/ 5600X costs 400EUR in my country, 5900X 700EUR and 5950X 1100 EUR. Don't think these prices will be normal before Easter 2021.

So even if we get Zen3 BIOS support, still l would stick with my 3700X. Cannot justify it to myself selling 8c/16t Zen2 CPU and adding 200+ EUR more to buy 6c/12t Zen3 CPU.

The only CPU l would maybe be interested for 200-230 EUR pricepoint will be 3600 successor - 5600 (non X) if we ever see one.

But still, l want to get Zen3 support on our board. Not for me. For all of us who step up and get first batches of untested, unknown and unrecognized products. AMD and Asus shouldn't ignore us and tell us fairytails and stick to its promise from early 2017. Thats all l'm asking.

·
Registered
24 Posts
i hope someone comes through. Motherboard prices are ridicilous
Well I did get MSI B550 Gaming plus mobo for 115€ with 30€ cashback and AC-Valhalla gamecode. And also MSI B550 Gaming Carbon for 170€ with 30€ cashback and that valhalla code. These were black friday prices. So mobo prices are cheap now, ofcourse depending where you live. I'm going to replace my C6H board with that B550 Gaming Carbon mobo. So I will get rid of that sleep bug and that new mobo will give me 2.nd nvme ssd slot. And I hope that I will get about 80-90€ for this used C6H. And I paid 139€ for this C6H about 2 years ago, it was in special sale and it was great platform for R5 1600 -> R7 1700 -> R5 3600 -> R9 3900X cpu's.

45821 - 45840 of 46553 Posts