Overclock.net banner

47161 - 47180 of 47217 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
if we complain hard enough on twitter we might get a zen 3 update, just saying, they can't just avoid us, right?
Wrong. Sales of refreshed B450 and B550 boards are sky high so one at Asus will lift a finger to do a Zen3-on-4yr-old-300-board possible.
AMD has an official stance and it is hard NO. So why would Asus (owner of ASMedia who are producing all chipsets except X570 and selling them to other ODMs) bother with 4yr old chipset?

We've been thru all of this half a year ago. Lots and lots of emails to Asus Customer service, tweets, posts here and on Asus forum. And where we are? C6H a great board is dead in every possible way to be dead in terms of official support Zen3. Last remaining haven is crossflashing.

For me also that was a very bitter pill to swallow and after few months l sold it, put some few EUR and bought B550-F board which is couple light years ahead of C6H and switch my R7 3700X for R5 5600X 1:1.

·
Registered
8 Posts
@Brko
Remembering DDR3-2133 vs DDR4-2400/2666?
DDR5, so far, looks like a server miscarriage +20% perf / +100% lat, waste of money.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Wrong. Sales of refreshed B450 and B550 boards are sky high so one at Asus will lift a finger to do a Zen3-on-4yr-old-300-board possible.
AMD has an official stance and it is hard NO. So why would Asus (owner of ASMedia who are producing all chipsets except X570 and selling them to other ODMs) bother with 4yr old chipset?

We've been thru all of this half a year ago. Lots and lots of emails to Asus Customer service, tweets, posts here and on Asus forum. And where we are? C6H a great board is dead in every possible way to be dead in terms of official support Zen3. Last remaining haven is crossflashing.

For me also that was a very bitter pill to swallow and after few months l sold it, put some few EUR and bought B550-F board which is couple light years ahead of C6H and switch my R7 3700X for R5 5600X 1:1.
oh well, too bad I guess

·
Registered
253 Posts
@Brko
Remembering DDR3-2133 vs DDR4-2400/2666?
DDR5, so far, looks like a server miscarriage +20% perf / +100% lat, waste of money.
Oh, l see.
Yep, so far it is not promising. But, you/we will have to embrace when planning an upgrade to Zen4/AlderLake since there will be no DDR4 boards.
Let us hope for Zen3+ and then max out AM4 platform :)
oh well, too bad I guess
Yes unfortunately.
But at the time when l was reluctant to get rid of my C6H, l read a lot of tehnical stuff regarding X370 and B550 boards from lets say independent staff. B550 boards really are far ahead and better designed than our belowed C6H. Even B450 boards have better layout design than C6H. Yes, C6H is massively better equipped, better VRMs etc. But board design, impleneted solutions are crap. These boards are rushed out and that's it.

Also, l was very very angry and did not want to accept NO for an answer why there is no Zen3 on 300 boards. But after a while and thousands of words and technical read - l bought "less" equipped B550 board and sold my C6H. Only thing l missed (for 2 hours) is Post Code display on board :)

·
Overclock.net user
455 Posts
All MB x370s have suffered from the innovation of ZEN; this is a fact. Clearly all subsequent ones have been improved. And also this is a fact. I do not despise my motherboard nor do I feel the need to upgrade. Of course it would make me happy if I could also mount the new 5xxx series, but I'm not crying about it nor I speaking negatively of Asus for this board that has fully met my expectations. Sorry for those who didn't have the same situation as me. :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
If you remember, Skylake also had DDR3 support but on lowest end boards.
Ok, it will be DDR4 support on Alder Lake but on which boards?

·
Registered
8 Posts
@Brko
Chinese enthusiasts used DDR3 up to 9900K on Z170 mobo, skylake anyway.
Memory controller is inside processor, why do you need a mobo for this?

·
Registered
253 Posts
@Brko
Chinese enthusiasts used DDR3 up to 9900K on Z170 mobo, skylake anyway.
Memory controller is inside processor, why do you need a mobo for this?
How can you run Alder Lake CPU with DDR4 on mid/high end board which does not have DDR4 slot, only DDR5?
Sorry, I didn't know we are talking about modding/enthusiastic scene. In that case, we have SUPPORT for Zen3 on 300-chipset board via crossflashing and eng sample bioses. As we can see, enthusiasts here are running Zen3 CPU on C6H board. So no problems there at all.

We will forget other 99,99% users who will go to the store and say "give mi Alder Lake CPU, some good MBO for it and 16/32 gigs of RAM". I hardly believe anyone of those will bother with DDR4 support and low end DDR4 boards.

But OK, I got your point.

·
Registered
8 Posts
How can you run Alder Lake CPU with DDR4 on mid/high end board which does not have DDR4 slot, only DDR5?
Sorry, I didn't know we are talking about modding/enthusiastic scene. In that case, we have SUPPORT for Zen3 on 300-chipset board via crossflashing and eng sample bioses. As we can see, enthusiasts here are running Zen3 CPU on C6H board. So no problems there at all.

We will forget other 99,99% users who will go to the store and say "give mi Alder Lake CPU, some good MBO for it and 16/32 gigs of RAM". I hardly believe anyone of those will bother with DDR4 support and low end DDR4 boards.

But OK, I got your point.

·
Registered
253 Posts
You 100% sure that MBO-makers will allow to buy a new board but not buying new RAM? OK, let us wait and see ;) Thanks for the info. Now I know much more about DDR5 than before. Really, didn't know that are slot-compatible. AFAIK, none DDR versions before was or am I mistaken again?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Can someone talk me in or out ofspending money?

I'm running a [email protected] 3200mhz mem.

I game at [email protected], and that is ALL I do on this system beyond fart around on the web. I am bored and want to spend money, but I just can't seem to justify a 15% increase in frames for $300 (3700x). If it is even that large of an increase at 1440p?

I'm not buying a new motherboard until AM5 (and it sure as **** won't be ASUS), so 5000 series aint happening. It's either sit and wait or drop in a half assed CPU upgrade.

What have you folks done? I've given up hope on 5000 series support from the ass-hats at ASUS.
It depends if you are in CPU or GPU limit. Most are in GPU limit; every graphics setting/resolution maxed out.

Use FPS Monitor - ingame system monitoring tool to overlay all your CPU cores and check if they are maxed out (> 95%). If your game uses 3 cores and they are maxed out while your GPU is < 90% you are CPU bound:

·
Registered
402 Posts
Sold my C6H for 110€ and bought an ASRock B550 Steel legen for 110€ :cool:
Great to hear. Glad it worked out for you :). You didn't lose money on the MB swap over, so that turned out great. Where do you guys normally sell your PC hardware? On local trading forums/platforms in your country or something like Ebay?

How do you find the B550 Steel Legend compared to the Asus C6H?

I stupidly bought a C6H and C6E over a year ago thinking I can run a 5xxx series CPU in both of them at a later date. I know it's not as bad as some of you guys that paid brand new price for either MB, but man, I made a big mistake buying them. I thought for sure they'd support the new series CPUs since they are the highest end X370 MBs that still have great specs. I'm currently running the C6H with a 2700X, but I have no plans to upgrade to a 3xxx series CPU as I don't feel it's worth it money wise (unless I can get a 3xxx series CPU second hand for a cheap price, I won't upgrade that MB at all). If I sell the MBs, it'd be a decent loss compared to what I paid. I should have just bought a cheaper B450 MB back then and I then could have bought a B550 right now.

I am not happy at all with Asus and am not sure I will buy any of their MBs in the future. When I bought the C6H, I could have bought an X370 Asrock Taichi, but I passed on that as I've used Asus for years (80% of the MBs I've used the past 10 years have been Asus). I should have went with Asrock, but since I didn't have much experience with them, I felt more comfortable to go with Asus.

Anyway, if anyone from Asus reads this, I am absolutely disgusted that you guys won't even give us a beta BIOS. I don't know all the technical details, but it seems like the C6H and C6E are both more than capable hardware wise, so why would you screw everyone over that bought these MBs when other brands like Asrock have provided their customers with 5xxx series CPU support? I would be more understanding if no other X370 MB manufacturer had support for Zen 3 5xxx series CPUs, but since they do, I find it poor that Asus didn't even attempt to do it.

·
Registered
447 Posts
@Ice009

I can use SAM now which is the only feature the C6H didn't have that I use right now. Ofc it's nice now to have the option to eventually upgrade to Zen3 and Gen4 name. The legend lacks sata connectors and some of the OC features but it's an acceptable trade-off for me. Only thing that bothers me is the 2nd m.2 slot on the legend only runs at Gen3x2. So I might replace it with an aorus pro if I can find it on sale somewhere like I did the legend.

Sold my stuff on ebay-kleinanzeigen. It's like a lokal ebay version.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Yes unfortunately.
But at the time when l was reluctant to get rid of my C6H, l read a lot of tehnical stuff regarding X370 and B550 boards from lets say independent staff. B550 boards really are far ahead and better designed than our belowed C6H. Even B450 boards have better layout design than C6H. Yes, C6H is massively better equipped, better VRMs etc. But board design, impleneted solutions are crap. These boards are rushed out and that's it.

Also, l was very very angry and did not want to accept NO for an answer why there is no Zen3 on 300 boards. But after a while and thousands of words and technical read - l bought "less" equipped B550 board and sold my C6H. Only thing l missed (for 2 hours) is Post Code display on board :)
Have any links to the stuff you read about the X370 Vs B550 MBs? I thought the highest end X370 MBs would still be just as capable as any B550 MB to run Zen3. Can you elaborate a little bit on what makes the B550 MBs better designed?

@Ice009

I can use SAM now which is the only feature the C6H didn't have that I use right now. Ofc it's nice now to have the option to eventually upgrade to Zen3 and Gen4 name. The legend lacks sata connectors and some of the OC features but it's an acceptable trade-off for me. Only thing that bothers me is the 2nd m.2 slot on the legend only runs at Gen3x2. So I might replace it with an aorus pro if I can find it on sale somewhere like I did the legend.

Sold my stuff on ebay-kleinanzeigen. It's like a lokal ebay version.
Yeah, I forgot about SAM, so I guess that is another feature the Crosshair 6 boards don't have. Are you using two M.2 drives in the B550 Steel Legend, or planning to use two? I guess PCI-e gen3x2 would be a far bit of a handicap for any decent M.2 drive.

I also wish I never sold my RX 5700 XT back in November as I've been using a GTX 1070 as an interim card, but haven't been able to find stock of the newer cards at prices that aren't massively inflated if I have been able to find stock here in AU. How is stock levels and pricey in Germany?I was originally planning to upgrade to a RX 6800/6800XT or RTX 3070/3080 I just saw today that people have been selling their RX 5700 XTs on Ebay in AU for double the price I sold mine for back in November. I guess I have lost out on PC hardware the past 6 months or so. I should have sold both of my Crosshair 6 MBs and just bought one decent B550 MB, or one lower end X570 MB and kept my RX 5700 XT, as it would have been a much better card to keep the past 5 months or so and I could have sold it later. Oh well, can't win all the time.

47161 - 47180 of 47217 Posts