Overclock.net banner

47181 - 47200 of 47217 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Can you elaborate a little bit on what makes the B550 MBs better designed?
Optimized PCB traces (thickness (of the traces, proper amount of copper)?, proper trace lengths to comply with the standards?) for higher frequencies (DDR, PCIe etc etc.), to name a few. It's like it is refined for what Ryzen (Zen, Zen+, Zen 2, Zen 3) actually needs.

My Strix B450F-II can easily run my DDR4-3000 on XMP. My Crosshair VI Hero/Prime X370-Pro needs a little tweaking. Of course, the AGESA plays a role here too, but the B450F-II feels more stable.

·
Registered
447 Posts
@Ice009

Right now just one NVME Gen3x4 drive on m.2 but eventually I will get an Gen4 drive. So if I can switch to the Aorus Pro B550 withouth losing money I will do so. Better save than sorry. As far as memory and cpu oc goes the B550 Steel legend does exactly the same as the C6H. I get same results with same voltages.

GPU prices are nuts, got a 6900XT from AMD for 999€ which I am using atm. After Im done with CP2077 and AC Valhalla I will sell it again and put some old card in until prices are back to normal. All my other games dont require that much performance.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Been a lurker for this sub for quite sometime already and would like to ask some inputs at the moment. Currently rocking a C6E on my rig running my 3900X CPU. At the same time I bought a brand new X570 tomahawk(just because it comes with a free 240mm CM AiO and at the same time flipping both parts after). was think now if switching to the X570 would be a good idea.

Personally I dont have plans on getting Ryze 5000 series nor do I have any problems with my C6E. But I do feel that my 3900x runs a bit hotter on Auto PBO and memory overclocking/tightening is not that good on my C6E.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Optimized PCB traces (thickness (of the traces, proper amount of copper)?, proper trace lengths to comply with the standards?) for higher frequencies (DDR, PCIe etc etc.), to name a few. It's like it is refined for what Ryzen (Zen, Zen+, Zen 2, Zen 3) actually needs.

My Strix B450F-II can easily run my DDR4-3000 on XMP. My Crosshair VI Hero/Prime X370-Pro needs a little tweaking. Of course, the AGESA plays a role here too, but the B450F-II feels more stable.
Ahh right, thanks for that explanation. Those are pretty decent changes that would make a difference. I now see what Brko was talking about.

I'm using two 16GB kits (for a total of 32GB) of G.Skill Flare X Samsung B-die CL14 3200Mhz RAM on my C6H, and it ran straight away with XMP profile. Haven't tried upping the voltage and clocking it higher, though. I was waiting until I had at least a 3xxx or 5xxx series CPU to put in the MB before I tried any of that.

@Ice009

Right now just one NVME Gen3x4 drive on m.2 but eventually I will get an Gen4 drive. So if I can switch to the Aorus Pro B550 withouth losing money I will do so. Better save than sorry. As far as memory and cpu oc goes the B550 Steel legend does exactly the same as the C6H. I get same results with same voltages.

GPU prices are nuts, got a 6900XT from AMD for 999€ which I am using atm. After Im done with CP2077 and AC Valhalla I will sell it again and put some old card in until prices are back to normal. All my other games dont require that much performance.
Yeah, if you're going to use a second NVMe drive, you'll have to try and changeover to a more suitable MB that has a better second M.2 slot. Interesting about memory and cpu performance being the same between the two boards.

Interesting about the GPU price of the 6900XT. Darn, I wouldn't have a problem paying that price if that was available here right now.

To give you some perspective, for one of the cheaper versions, the 6900XT here is 1450€ and some go up to 1800€ when converting from AUD to EURO. Man, I always knew we a getting ripped off here, but those price differences are crazy. Maybe I need to start looking at buying a card from a different country? What are the prices of the 6800/6800XT and 3070/3080 where you are? Is there actual stock available? Anyone know if any brands have worldwide warranty support? That's the main thing stopping me buying from overseas. LOL darn, I don't need a 6900XT, but I would take one if I could get it for only $1500 AUD.

Been a lurker for this sub for quite sometime already and would like to ask some inputs at the moment. Currently rocking a C6E on my rig running my 3900X CPU. At the same time I bought a brand new X570 tomahawk(just because it comes with a free 240mm CM AiO and at the same time flipping both parts after). was think now if switching to the X570 would be a good idea.

Personally I dont have plans on getting Ryze 5000 series nor do I have any problems with my C6E. But I do feel that my 3900x runs a bit hotter on Auto PBO and memory overclocking/tightening is not that good on my C6E.
What are you going to do with the X570 Tomahawk if you decide to keep the C6E? Sell the X570 MB? Did you buy the X570 just so you could get the deal on the CM AiO, or were you actually really wanting to use the X570?

Personally, I think you should keep the Tomahawk. I know you said you are not looking to upgrade the CPU, but the reason I say to keep it is, if you keep the X570 Tomahawk, you will at least have an upgrade path should you choose to upgrade. Maybe later on down the line you'll find a cheap 5xxx series CPU, and/or maybe you'll find a second hand one for a great price and it would be a worthwhile upgrade in that type of situation.

The flipside of the coin is something I've been wondering about myself these past few days, though.

Do you guys think there with be a Zen 3 refresh on AM4? If so, would the original X570 Motherboards handle/support it well enough? This would be my only reason against keeping it. Maybe they will release a refresh of X570 MBs to finish off the life of the AM4 socket as the first run of X570 MBs are now getting a bit old (I think the Tomahawk and most other X570 MBs were released in 2019).

·
Registered
40 Posts
What are you going to do with the X570 Tomahawk if you decide to keep the C6E? Sell the X570 MB? Did you buy the X570 just so you could get the deal on the CM AiO, or were you actually really wanting to use the X570?

Personally, I think you should keep the Tomahawk. I know you said you are not looking to upgrade the CPU, but the reason I say to keep it is, if you keep the X570 Tomahawk, you will at least have an upgrade path should you choose to upgrade. Maybe later on down the line you'll find a cheap 5xxx series CPU, and/or maybe you'll find a second hand one for a great price and it would be a worthwhile upgrade in that type of situation.

The flipside of the coin is something I've been wondering about myself these past few days, though.

Do you guys think there with be a Zen 3 refresh on AM4? If so, would the original X570 Motherboards handle/support it well enough? This would be my only reason against keeping it. Maybe they will release a refresh of X570 MBs to finish off the life of the AM4 socket as the first run of X570 MBs are now getting a bit old (I think the Tomahawk and most other X570 MBs were released in 2019).
Most likely sell the X570 if ever. Just bought it for the sake of getting the free AiO. Haven't eally considered in changing my C6E up until I got the X570 tomahawk. Actually there are only two reasons why I do like my C6E more at the moment; better back IO and the EATX form factor looks good on my Phanteks P450x. :))

·
Registered
96 Posts
amd has said there will be a refresh of the 5000 series. Either nov or dec this year

·
Registered
1 Posts
Honestly, I don't have many problems with the CH6 and I need 8 Sata. I only have the USB issue but all my devices work correctly and a bug with Windows not recognizing my keyboard once in 6-7 boots (linux never had this problem).

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm using two 16GB kits (for a total of 32GB) of G.Skill Flare X Samsung B-die CL14 3200Mhz RAM on my C6H, and it ran straight away with XMP profile. Haven't tried upping the voltage and clocking it higher, though. I was waiting until I had at least a 3xxx or 5xxx series CPU to put in the MB before I tried any of that.
Nice! Mine is a Micron B-die market-ed as Intel Memory. I think it is one of those early DDR4s made for the Intel platform at that time (I got it used). Oh yeah, it needs some voltage boost on the Vsoc as well on the X370 boards and topping at 2933 (just 66MHz away from its rated speed). On the B450-F II I am using now, no voltage boost on the Vsoc.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Meanwhile Asrock fixed the bugs for x370 giving perfect 5000 series support...

Inviato dal mio SM-G991B utilizzando Tapatalk
It's not official but leaked.Its has memory issues as all agesa 1.1.0.0 we can't go above 3200/IF 1600 without WHEA errors.I get WHEA 19.

·
Registered
108 Posts

I use on my CH6E 3900X the 1usmus CTR and is the best solution for me to cool down my Temps and get the best of my ccx cores, at this moment I have it set on 44.00/4300/4300/4200 with just 1.27v , Temp on full work get around 70 degrees and on idle 38/37 / on heavy duty games temps reach about 45 degrees only.I got good fps on my graphic card and I can play all my AAA games at 1440p configuration so I will keep my system until AM5 socket is release to make a big upgrade

·
Registered
219 Posts
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/mzzuth

Looks like AMD threatened Asrock over their AGESA v2 experiment on 300 series chipsets. JZ distributes these Asrock BIOSes from an anonymous source for obvious reasons.

This supports @Brko's story about Gigabyte, and explains ASUS' behavior.

Well, looks like AMD pulled an Intel too soon too fast. Got too big and powerful once again (bigger than ever in fact), now enforcing anti consumer business decisions. Couldn't they wait until AM5 for these kind of bullsh*t decisions?

They let everyone do Zen2 on A320, but that was too much.

·
Registered
108 Posts
:LOL:

Well, my next machine will probably Intel. When Intel produces a better one. I'm on Ryzen 7 1700 now and still satisfied.

Bye AMD. lol

·
Registered
253 Posts

Yes, thanks :)
As said, 300 boards were rushed. ODMs were very busy in making, sorry, RECYCLING s1151 Z270 (from Z170) for Kaby Lake and did not expect AMD will make good CPU and that launch will be smthng like Vishera AM3+, somewhat below-mediocre so they did piss-poor job in designing 300 boards. Yes, we have very good and capable boards like C6H/C6E, but vast majority of 300 boards is... l will not say crap but will stay with RUSHED out.

When they saw how Ryzen is an excellent product after all, they used the VERY SAME chipset, branding it 400 but putting it on updated and upgraded layout and MBO spec. Basically 400 boards are 300 V2. 300 boards were one big test, so it seems from today's perspective.

amd has said there will be a refresh of the 5000 series. Either nov or dec this year
Since competition flopped with its utter crap called Rocket Lake, AMD is in no hurry to release Zen4 and can do Zen3+ with another X570/B550 refresh. Even last years B450 refresh lineup would do the trick.

Looks like AMD threatened Asrock over their AGESA v2 experiment on 300 series chipsets. JZ distributes these Asrock BIOSes from an anonymous source for obvious reasons.

This supports @Brko's story about Gigabyte, and explains ASUS' behavior.

Well, looks like AMD pulled an Intel too soon too fast. Got too big and powerful once again (bigger than ever in fact), now enforcing anti consumer business decisions. Couldn't they wait until AM5 for these kind of bullsh*t decisions?

They let everyone do Zen2 on A320, but that was too much.
Seems so. But I wouldn't go too far with Intel comparisions. Intel is different sort of scum. They sold 5 chipsets on SAME SOCKET and SAME SKYLAKE uArch just bumping clock and cores in CPUs (100 chipset - 6000 cpu / 200 chipset - 7000 cpu / 300 chipset - 8000 and 9000 cpu / 400 chip - 10000 cpu) with low to non cross-compatibility. Old CPU may go on newer MBO, but new CPU no-go on older board. There are some modding etc, but no way official.

But however this move with cutting 300 for Zen3 may be disgusting and hard to swallow, AMD is still more customer oriented corporation than Intel. Lets argee that they are much less scumbags than Intel :) of course, from today's point of view. Who knows what tomorrow brings :)

Again, l have very strong foundations to believe Asus is main antagonist here. As owner of ASMedia (manufacturer of all chipsets except X570) obviously "blackmailed" AMD to cut support for 300 and 400, to sold more boards and more B550 chipsets. Compromise was set on 400 boards to be included.
AMD was not in strong negotiation position since we all know how much and how often Intel is making NEW (Recycled) boards, and how often AMD in last decade. So if AMD wanted larger palet of quality boards, they had to make decisions which we face now.

Asus is not a good friend with AMD. We all remember how they 1sr jumped on nVidia GPP train and how they were 1st to "welcome" 500-only support for Zen3.
And to add that notebook fiasco with cooling on Ryzen-based devices. Really lame.

But, business as usual. ODMs want to sell more boards. We were beta testers and dod not get any thanks for that. Ok, lesson learned - NEVER again buy flasghip board (or Asus in some cases) :)

Well, my next machine will probably Intel. When Intel produces a better one. I'm on Ryzen 7 1700 now and still satisfied.

Bye AMD. lol
Ok, but NOW you can use 3 put of 4 generations on your board. On Intel board - only current and MAYBE penultimate lineup.
Make some noise their,it's our time to hit back to get support
Save your voice. This story is concluded. No one will lift a finger to do anything. We cried and cried in November/December 2020. After that many of us "upgraded" from C6H/C6E to 400/500 boards or even went to Team Blue.
You can try to play with crossflashing. Here is a very decent effort regarding that which l really admire these guys who tested it.
But to rely and wait for official BIOS - do not think so :/

·
Registered
327 Posts
i'm still ok with crossflashed C6H and 5600x, it works perfectly for me, no serious issues, won't buy a new board for slightly better compatibility. But i'm considering Intel as my next platform in future (AMD become too greedy and unpredictable in their marketing moves)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Intel has no ammo for this round. 10nm is late for more than 4 years now. Alder Lake with big.LITTLE config does not show any promise since its monolitic design. And for Rocket Lake, they yanked out their 14nm+++++++++++++++++ so now they have i5 11400F budget cpu which need 200+ EUR board and 100+ EUR cooling to work properly. AMD, more precisely, Lisa Su knows this very well.

When/if lntel could catch up and offer some great stuff for not so much money like Sandy Bridge last time, than AMD will react. Until then, they will not lift a finger. Lisa told on last presentation that only peformance now matter and they are oriented only on that. "Value" and "bang for a buck" is for underdogs so Intel now have to offer that kind of stuff which fails to do so.

3 years ago we had i7 8700K which alone w/o cooler had market value like R5 2600 + aftermarket cooler + solid B450 MBO + 16GB DDR4 RAM. Many people said "its the bestest for gaming so price is justified" like R5 2600 @ ~4.1GHz was unable to run a Office 2010 let alone games.

Now, same people are nagging about prices and AMD value which is too big.

So conclusion is:
2011-2020 - AMD bad because slow
2020-20xx - AMD bad because expensive

AMD will not lose money like it did in the last decade. Lisa and her team have a quite better plans and strategy. Plus, she kicked Raja to Intel so no problems in GPU department as well.

But all that come at a price which we are paying. But, we have a choice and are free to use it :)

(AMD become too greedy and unpredictable in their marketing moves)
I would disagree with this. This could be a valid point if they stood with 1st idea of Zen3 support only on 500 boards. Since they have partially won with backpedal to 400 versus Asus/ASMedia pressure.

·
Registered
108 Posts
When the right time is come I will upgrade from my CH6E to a X570 am4 socket board, or even I can wait for AM5 socket when is release , my current set up still deliver a very good performance ,I'm not complain with AMD what so ever , almost 5 years and we still enjoy our AM4 sockets

·
Registered
327 Posts
I would disagree with this.
so why old Intel chipset board will get Resize Bar and x370 are not? (for example)
it's not even about money and performance, but AMD BROKEN PROMISES, i prefer to have some worse but predictable Intel than strange surprises from AMD. With Intel i can buy PC and just use it, no headache with agesa , memory and so on, and then, after 5 years i'll just buy another mobo+CPU with no worries, i lost my enthusiasm with AMD

·
Registered
200 Posts
i'm still ok with crossflashed C6H and 5600x, it works perfectly for me, no serious issues, won't buy a new board for slightly better compatibility. But i'm considering Intel as my next platform in future (AMD become too greedy and unpredictable in their marketing moves)
Did you settle with the Asrock b450 bios? How about the fans at 50%? No amd ryzen master or CTR compatibility right? Any sign of instabilities or whea errors?
Sorry for the questions, many many thanks for your help!

Inviato dal mio SM-G991B utilizzando Tapatalk

47181 - 47200 of 47217 Posts