Overclock.net banner

47201 - 47217 of 47217 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
When the right time is come I will upgrade from my CH6E to a X570 am4 socket board, or even I can wait for AM5 socket when is release , my current set up still deliver a very good performance ,I'm not complain with AMD what so ever , almost 5 years and we still enjoy our AM4 sockets
As things looks now, AM5 is approx 18 months away so AM4 is still alive and kickin'. I upgraded because l had a great deal. If l hadn't, upgrade would wait AM5.

so why old Intel chipset board will get Resize Bar and x370 are not? (for example)
it's not even about money and performance, but AMD BROKEN PROMISES, i prefer to have some worse but predictable Intel than strange surprises from AMD. With Intel i can buy PC and just use it, no headache with agesa , memory and so on, and then, after 5 years i'll just buy another mobo+CPU with no worries, i lost my enthusiasm with AMD
I got your point.
But, when you say you will have no worries with lntel. True, because intel is recycling same **** over one decade and it would be a very big shame that some experienced things like this.
Ryzen and 300 boards were build from SCRATCH with rushed out boards and BIOSes. But all later boards were 99% OK.
You know that Intel first "new" thing in a decade is Rocket Lake? And people have problems with buggy BIOS and things almost the same as zen+300 had.
Personally, l have never experienced problems with C6H. Ok, l had B-die RAM from begining and did not use water cooling. Everything else was A-OK.

Regarding ReBAR, to me that is completely useless feature nor do l have GPU that support it (RTX 2080Ti). When/if ReBAR will be gamechanging feature with next gen GPUs, 300 chipset boards will be even more obsolete by then.

As said, l understand your frustration with AMDs broken promises, l am not at peace also and certainly not advocating them. Just want to say that you will not be more happier with lntel, especially with some new stuff which will be also rushed since lntel is an underdog now.

We are in need of 3rd strong CPU manufacturer :)

·
Registered
224 Posts
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/mzzuth

Looks like AMD threatened Asrock over their AGESA v2 experiment on 300 series chipsets. JZ distributes these Asrock BIOSes from an anonymous source for obvious reasons.

This supports @Brko's story about Gigabyte, and explains ASUS' behavior.

Well, looks like AMD pulled an Intel too soon too fast. Got too big and powerful once again (bigger than ever in fact), now enforcing anti consumer business decisions. Couldn't they wait until AM5 for these kind of bullsh*t decisions?

They let everyone do Zen2 on A320, but that was too much.
Well that settles then.
This clears ASUS from willingly blocking 5000 series on 300 boards. Their rep at the eyes of customers has improved from sandbagging their products into not caring to fix serious and chronic bugs. Still not good IMHO.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Ryzen and 300 boards were build from SCRATCH with rushed out boards and BIOSes.
same thing happened with ALL AMD boards including newest one, AMD released CPU's first, and ONLY after few months there was good Agesa fix (1.2.0.0), i'm not talkking about 300 series specifically but about AGESA stuff in general, it always had issues with new CPU's, always, no matter what board you have, whole platform made this way =)
and i guess it will continue that way, CPU first, and then you have to wait for good agesa, even with the newest board on the market

·
Registered
253 Posts
same thing happened with ALL AMD boards including newest one, AMD released CPU's first, and ONLY after few months there was good Agesa fix (1.2.0.0), i'm not talkking about 300 series specifically but about AGESA stuff in general, it always had issues with new CPU's, always, no matter what board you have, whole platform made this way =)
and i guess it will continue that way, CPU first, and then you have to wait for good agesa, even with the newest board on the market
Years in the dark with Bulldozer **** and its variants has taken its toll. Same thing in Radeon division. But AMD is getting better and better as time go by.

·
Registered
327 Posts
But AMD is getting better and better as time go by.
the lesson i learned - don't buy expensive board, better to buy some good budget board and then another new, but it looks like Intel path in the end :confused:
the only difference are CPU's, which are generally about same price\performance ratio, at least with mid-budget CPU's i prefer

·
Registered
253 Posts
We learned the same lesson. But at the time l was buying C6H, midrange board was X370 Prime Pro (at the time, only Asus worked for me). There wasn't much choice and C6H wasn't that expensive. It was below 250 EUR which was fine for me in April 2017 and it was the ONLY good and highly RAM compatible at the time.

But now and in the future, E or E class boards from Asus or Elite/Pro from Gigabyte or Tomahawk/Edge from MSI. Never again flagship boards.

·
Linux Lobbyist
429 Posts
We learned the same lesson. But at the time l was buying C6H, midrange board was X370 Prime Pro (a
X370 Prime Pro is awesome, I'm using one, it even has an internal USB-C 3.1 Gen2 port which is impossible to find on B550,X570 of even twice the price.

Memory compatibility for 1000,2000 series was shoddy, but 3000 series works wonderfully.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Yes, thanks :)
As said, 300 boards were rushed. ODMs were very busy in making, sorry, RECYCLING s1151 Z270 (from Z170) for Kaby Lake and did not expect AMD will make good CPU and that launch will be smthng like Vishera AM3+, somewhat below-mediocre so they did piss-poor job in designing 300 boards. Yes, we have very good and capable boards like C6H/C6E, but vast majority of 300 boards is... l will not say crap but will stay with RUSHED out.
Yeah, I never thought of all that as I didn't jump onto the AMD platform until the end of 2019 (I always used Intel prior to that). I guess AMD caught everyone by surprise and MB manufacturers had to scramble as they were probably used to focusing on Intel boards and not putting much time and resources into the AMD side of things.

When they saw how Ryzen is an excellent product after all, they used the VERY SAME chipset, branding it 400 but putting it on updated and upgraded layout and MBO spec. Basically 400 boards are 300 V2. 300 boards were one big test, so it seems from today's perspective.
That makes sense as I remember people saying that X470 is pretty much the same as X370, but I didn't think much of it at the time. I never really thought about all the other stuff they might have changed and improved upon with the layout and design on the MB itself to work better with the chipset and AMD CPUs, RAM etc.

Having said that, the 300 series chipset and 400 series chipset supposedly being the same, that is why I was wondering that if they will allow 5xxx series CPUs to run on X470, why can't they do it on X370 (this is the thing that made me mad). You've now made me think about the rest of the MB (design/layout wise) not being up to the task. I'm sure that might be the case with most X370 MBs, but IMO there is less than a handful like the Asrock X370 Taichi and Asus Crosshair 6 boards that would still be up to the task. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I would assume those X370 MBs I mentioned are still technically capable, or are they not able to run 5xxx series CPUs at their full potential due to design issues?

Since competition flopped with its utter crap called Rocket Lake, AMD is in no hurry to release Zen4 and can do Zen3+ with another X570/B550 refresh. Even last years B450 refresh lineup would do the trick.
AMD would be smart to do this as that is what Intel has been doing for years. No reason for them to release Zen 4 right away if Intel hasn't released something competitive yet, but they also shouldn't be like Intel and keep milking something over and over again. Keep improving and innovating.

Seems so. But I wouldn't go too far with Intel comparisions. Intel is different sort of scum. They sold 5 chipsets on SAME SOCKET and SAME SKYLAKE uArch just bumping clock and cores in CPUs (100 chipset - 6000 cpu / 200 chipset - 7000 cpu / 300 chipset - 8000 and 9000 cpu / 400 chip - 10000 cpu) with low to non cross-compatibility. Old CPU may go on newer MBO, but new CPU no-go on older board. There are some modding etc, but no way official.
Even though I am upset with AMD, I would not put them anywhere near the category of Intel yet. I didn't upgrade my previous Intel system as I thought each new release was overpriced and the performance wasn't high enough to justify changing MBs and/or RAM just to get a new CPU with a small performance increase. Intel were milking it for years and taking advantage of people IMO. I definitely am not jumping ship from AMD over this. I'm not looking to jump back to the Intel side of things unless they release something that is a decent amount better in performance and is also priced competitively (I've had enough of overpaying for their MBs and CPUs the past 7 or 8 years). Performance aside, the only other way I can see myself changing back to Intel is if I were to keep having issues with AMD not running something properly or something not working properly, I'd consider going back to Intel in that scenario too.

But however this move with cutting 300 for Zen3 may be disgusting and hard to swallow, AMD is still more customer oriented corporation than Intel. Lets argee that they are much less scumbags than Intel :) of course, from today's point of view. Who knows what tomorrow brings :)
I agree with this 100%.

Again, l have very strong foundations to believe Asus is main antagonist here. As owner of ASMedia (manufacturer of all chipsets except X570) obviously "blackmailed" AMD to cut support for 300 and 400, to sold more boards and more B550 chipsets. Compromise was set on 400 boards to be included.
AMD was not in strong negotiation position since we all know how much and how often Intel is making NEW (Recycled) boards, and how often AMD in last decade. So if AMD wanted larger palet of quality boards, they had to make decisions which we face now.
Who makes the X570 series chipset? AMD? So Asus is competing with B550 and the X570 chipset maker (I just looked it up and it's AMD)? Very interesting angle there. Why did AMD make the X570 chipsets and why did they go back to Asmedia for the B550s? Is that also the reason the X570 Chipsets have fans on most MBs?

Ok, but NOW you can use 3 put of 4 generations on your board. On Intel board - only current and MAYBE penultimate lineup.
Owners of boards such as the C6H, C6E can be upset a little bit, but I don't see why someone would jump straight back to Intel when they've been doing this for years. That kind of logic doesn't make sense at all. AMD have done with once in 4 years and Intel have been doing it over and over for years.

Save your voice. This story is concluded. No one will lift a finger to do anything. We cried and cried in November/December 2020. After that many of us "upgraded" from C6H/C6E to 400/500 boards or even went to Team Blue.
You can try to play with crossflashing. Here is a very decent effort regarding that which l really admire these guys who tested it.
But to rely and wait for official BIOS - do not think so :/
I haven't decided what to do with my Crosshair 6 MBs. I might just keep the C6H (as I've currently got it running with a 2700X in it) and try crossflashing later on when I can get a cheaper 5xxx series CPU second hand or something, but I think I might put the C6 Extreme up for sale as there is no point holding onto them both.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Who makes the X570 series chipset? AMD? So Asus is competing with B550 and the X570 chipset maker (I just looked it up and it's AMD)? Very interesting angle there. Why did AMD make the X570 chipsets and why did they go back to Asmedia for the B550s? Is that also the reason the X570 Chipsets have fans on most MBs?
Because ASMedia failed to develop X570 chipset in required time restrictions. That information is public. There is nothing to cover asustek desires to milk more money out of platform (which way fail to sell with desired rates, public information too)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yeah, I never thought of all that as I didn't jump onto the AMD platform until the end of 2019 (I always used Intel prior to that). I guess AMD caught everyone by surprise and MB manufacturers had to scramble as they were probably used to focusing on Intel boards and not putting much time and resources into the AMD side of things.

That makes sense as I remember people saying that X470 is pretty much the same as X370, but I didn't think much of it at the time. I never really thought about all the other stuff they might have changed and improved upon with the layout and design on the MB itself to work better with the chipset and AMD CPUs, RAM etc.

Having said that, the 300 series chipset and 400 series chipset supposedly being the same, that is why I was wondering that if they will allow 5xxx series CPUs to run on X470, why can't they do it on X370 (this is the thing that made me mad). You've now made me think about the rest of the MB (design/layout wise) not being up to the task. I'm sure that might be the case with most X370 MBs, but IMO there is less than a handful like the Asrock X370 Taichi and Asus Crosshair 6 boards that would still be up to the task. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I would assume those X370 MBs I mentioned are still technically capable, or are they not able to run 5xxx series CPUs at their full potential due to design issues?

AMD would be smart to do this as that is what Intel has been doing for years. No reason for them to release Zen 4 right away if Intel hasn't released something competitive yet, but they also shouldn't be like Intel and keep milking something over and over again. Keep improving and innovating.

Even though I am upset with AMD, I would not put them anywhere near the category of Intel yet. I didn't upgrade my previous Intel system as I thought each new release was overpriced and the performance wasn't high enough to justify changing MBs and/or RAM just to get a new CPU with a small performance increase. Intel were milking it for years and taking advantage of people IMO. I definitely am not jumping ship from AMD over this. I'm not looking to jump back to the Intel side of things unless they release something that is a decent amount better in performance and is also priced competitively (I've had enough of overpaying for their MBs and CPUs the past 7 or 8 years). Performance aside, the only other way I can see myself changing back to Intel is if I were to keep having issues with AMD not running something properly or something not working properly, I'd consider going back to Intel in that scenario too.

I agree with this 100%.

Owners of boards such as the C6H, C6E can be upset a little bit, but I don't see why someone would jump straight back to Intel when they've been doing this for years. That kind of logic doesn't make sense at all. AMD have done with once in 4 years and Intel have been doing it over and over for years.

I haven't decided what to do with my Crosshair 6 MBs. I might just keep the C6H (as I've currently got it running with a 2700X in it) and try crossflashing later on when I can get a cheaper 5xxx series CPU second hand or something, but I think I might put the C6 Extreme up for sale as there is no point holding onto them both.
if was my situation I will do the contrary put on sale the CH6 and keep the CH6E , better RGB , VRM , more usb/fans/ connectors and is a big EAXT

·
Registered
402 Posts
if was my situation I will do the contrary put on sale the CH6 and keep the CH6E , better RGB , VRM , more usb/fans/ connectors and is a big EAXT
I would have used the C6E instead of the C6H, but it didn't fit in the case I used (Fractal Design Meshify C). I'd have to get a bigger case if I want to keep the C6E. Do you think that is worth keeping the C6E over the C6H if I also have to upgrade case? I would do it for sure if it supported 5xxx series processors, but not sure if it's worth getting a new case as well without 5xxx series support :(.

·
Registered
36 Posts
For the people who tried cross-flashing, what was wrong with Gigabyte's X470 AORUS GAMING 7 WIFI's crossflashing attempt? Was it failing to boot at every reset and needing to have CMOS cleared?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I would have used the C6E instead of the C6H, but it didn't fit in the case I used (Fractal Design Meshify C). I'd have to get a bigger case if I want to keep the C6E. Do you think that is worth keeping the C6E over the C6H if I also have to upgrade case? I would do it for sure if it supported 5xxx series processors, but not sure if it's worth getting a new case as well without 5xxx series support :(.
ok in that case I will keep the CH6 instead of the CH6E , is not make sense to buy a new Tower just for keep the CH6E instead it will be smart to sell both motherboards and with that money upgrade to Ryzen 5000 cpu and a cheap B or 570 mobo

·
Registered
402 Posts
ok in that case I will keep the CH6 instead of the CH6E , is not make sense to buy a new Tower just for keep the CH6E instead it will be smart to sell both motherboards and with that money upgrade to Ryzen 5000 cpu and a cheap B or 570 mobo
Yeah, I'll think about it. thanks for the advice. I definitely would much prefer to keep the C6Extreme over the C6H, but it could also be a good option to sell both such as you suggested - I never actually thought about selling both to put towards one new B550 or X570 MB. I have one other older case that can fit E-ATX (CoolerMaster HAF-X), but it's too big for the bedroom which is where I have the Fractal Meshify C situated.

I wasn't in any rush to sell as I can't get a decent priced 5xxx series CPU here anyway. Also, I have a 2700X currently installed in the C6H, so I don't really feel the need to strip down that system to sell the C6H to get a B550, or cheaper X570 MB (it's a great idea you gave me, though) if I don't have a 5xxx series CPU to put in said MB. The only other thought I have is, if I should sell both MBs now as their value might be at their highest due to shortages?

·
Registered
327 Posts
For the people who tried cross-flashing, what was wrong with Gigabyte's X470 AORUS GAMING 7 WIFI's crossflashing attempt? Was it failing to boot at every reset and needing to have CMOS cleared?
yes, but one important point - clear cmos DOESN'T help, you do reset or shutdown and that's it, game over

47201 - 47217 of 47217 Posts