RadeonMOD Author
793 Posts
  • Rep+
Reactions: harrysun

·
Registered
299 Posts
The Ultimate Upgrade Bait - From 1800X to 5800X3D - YouTube

Our motherboard is featured in this video, talks about the upgrade path from 1800X
Saw that video when it came out. I don't agree, not at all. Bait? Zen3 is to Zen1, as Zen1 is to Excavator/Piledriver.

The performance gap (IPC+frequency) brought by Zen3 is that big on common use cases... while on gaming, if talking about the 5800X3D, it's even bigger! On the same platform. CPU upgrade only. What else does he want?

Dude should share some of what he's smoking.

·
Registered
92 Posts
First generation of Zen is literally the worst. Especially single core speed. Not trying to criticize it, but it just is. It was new and paved the way for better ones, it was a necessary step but it aged badly. Zen+ you can make an argument for. But Zen2 is where it started getting really good. Especially if you got a 3700X or 3950X, both really efficient chips, although the 3950X was quite expensive and never went down in price (new). Zen 3.. there's a decent frequency and IPC increase as said above. Some improved efficiency in terms of power usage. Easily the best single core speeds. And when the current cost is factored in, a 5950X or 5900X is easily better than the Zen 2 equivalent. And the 5800X3D is great if gaming at 1080p is your priority. Actually lesser performance in workloads than 5800X though, so there's that.

To be honest.. anyone trying to recommend keeping original Zen chips.. it's just mind boggling. Even Zen+ is hard to advise that. Zen 2 you can make an argument, but Zen 2 really is where it's at. Especially if you find a B2 stepping for a good price. The only argument you could make for keeping your Zen CPU, if you are going to be an early adopter for AM5 and DDR5, which will be really expensive and likely buggy in the beginning. But if you're keen to switch over at the end of the year, or early next year, waiting would be the better option.

It really depends on your use case. 5950X or 5900X if you care about encoding or other all core workloads. 5800X for gaming with the highest clocks and decent workload performance. 5800X3D if you are about gaming only. 5700X or 5600X for budget gaming for low price budget system. There's nothing "bait" about the 5800X3D, it's just that it sacrifices clock speeds and all core performance for raw gaming performance due to the extra cache. In some games it's a huge difference, up to 30% increase. Also really impressive 1% lows. Other games, very little difference. But overall around 15% improvement at 1080p with a high end video card. Even if you don't have a high GPU now.. the CPU will allow you to upgrade in the future and not have the CPU be the bottleneck.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I can say that coming from 3800XT, 5800X3D is worth it.
It's the easiest system to set. Put the CPU in, set an undervolt if you want (I use offset -0.075), set DOCP for memory and boom. Gaming performance is amazing, plus minimums are a lot higher.

All that HC video is, is HC being bitter.

• Rep+
Reactions: lcapellaro

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hey folks, I'm having trouble getting 5800x3d to boot on my c6h, it stuck at code 07 which seems to mean cannot train the RAM.

I've tried 3600x and 5900x with the exact same setup and in both cases they boot without any problem.

My RAM is Corsair vengeance lpx DDR4 CMK16GX4M2B3200C16
8GB x 2

BIOS is 8503, cleared CMOS and reflash, didn't help.

Is this because of 5800x3d being more picky about RAM or is it because of BIOS support?
I found that PLL bumped to 1.9 just did the trick to be able to train memory. Even booted at 2000fclk, but sure, not stable. Won't even bother, I will just stick to 3600mhz low latency. Now I'm getting into curve optimize.

·
LCapellaro
11 Posts
The Ultimate Upgrade Bait - From 1800X to 5800X3D - YouTube

Our motherboard is featured in this video, talks about the upgrade path from 1800X
Dude, I jumped from a 1800x to a 3800x in 2019 and now to the 5800x3d. Going from 1800x to 3800x the difference was absurd, from boot to response when opening programs and playing games. Everything was more responsive. And look, I used the 1800x at 4ghz with IF at 1600 and RAM at 3200 cl14.

So far, in casual use (windows and programs) I haven't felt any difference between the 3800x and the 5800x3d. In games I could only feel the difference in old games like GTA IV, CS GO and Rocket League, since my GPU is already old and I'm waiting for the new series to replace it (gtx 1080). In these 3 games my GPU rarely went above 75% at the settings I play, and now with the 5800x3d it's hitting 100% usage.

The IPC of the Ryzen 5000 is practically double that of the Ryzen 1000, and several benchmarks show this. Having the possibility to switch from a 1000 to a 5000 on the same mobo that was launched in 2017 is commendable. If I had opted for the 7700k I would have stuck with it to this day.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The only argument you could make for keeping your Zen CPU, if you are going to be an early adopter for AM5 and DDR5, which will be really expensive and likely buggy in the beginning. But if you're keen to switch over at the end of the year, or early next year, waiting would be the better option.
At todays prices though getting a Zen3 that you hold on to for say 18-24m is a worthwhile upgrade even for the thrifty user. Hear me out.

I jumped from 1800x to 3900XT summer 2020 and it was a staggering leap. I thought I was going to wait for AM5 until the beta bios dropped for this board and I considered the high likelihood of pain and suffering for early adopters. I'm now on my 3rd CPU(5950x) for the board so was a very easy choice to get more value out of it. Anyone with a zen/+/2 CPU thats "holding out" for AM5 will almost certainly pay more money on release than if they simply upgraded to a 5000 series today, then price out an upgrade when the 2nd gen AM5 chips and boards drop in 18-24m, prices come down from the stratosphere etc.

The 5950x for me is a solid 20% faster in SC and about 50% (30% more cores mind you) in multi - coming from a binned 3900XT. Going from a 39XX to a 59XX is probably the WORST example of performance gain compared to older/smaller Zens and its still in the 20-30% range... It's really hard to recommend anyone hold out - either you don't mind paying the money so why not live well in the meantime, or you do care about money so why upgrade at the most expensive time in the cycle?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Thing is they've already stated that when 1.2.0.7 AGESA hits and with the yet released version of Chipset drivers the 5800X3D should have even more performance bang. I'm sure too they are using the available Chipset drivers. The ones not yet released can be had here and they may improve performance even without the latest AGESA.

I guess someone here can test if having the not yet released Chipset make any difference with their 5800X3D... :p

·
RadeonMOD Author
793 Posts

·
Somewhere Else
503 Posts
First generation of Zen is literally the worst. Especially single core speed. Not trying to criticize it, but it just is. It was new and paved the way for better ones, it was a necessary step but it aged badly. Zen+ you can make an argument for. But Zen2 is where it started getting really good. Especially if you got a 3700X or 3950X, both really efficient chips, although the 3950X was quite expensive and never went down in price (new). Zen 3.. there's a decent frequency and IPC increase as said above. Some improved efficiency in terms of power usage. Easily the best single core speeds. And when the current cost is factored in, a 5950X or 5900X is easily better than the Zen 2 equivalent. And the 5800X3D is great if gaming at 1080p is your priority. Actually lesser performance in workloads than 5800X though, so there's that.

To be honest.. anyone trying to recommend keeping original Zen chips.. it's just mind boggling. Even Zen+ is hard to advise that. Zen 2 you can make an argument, but Zen 2 really is where it's at. Especially if you find a B2 stepping for a good price. The only argument you could make for keeping your Zen CPU, if you are going to be an early adopter for AM5 and DDR5, which will be really expensive and likely buggy in the beginning. But if you're keen to switch over at the end of the year, or early next year, waiting would be the better option.

It really depends on your use case. 5950X or 5900X if you care about encoding or other all core workloads. 5800X for gaming with the highest clocks and decent workload performance. 5800X3D if you are about gaming only. 5700X or 5600X for budget gaming for low price budget system. There's nothing "bait" about the 5800X3D, it's just that it sacrifices clock speeds and all core performance for raw gaming performance due to the extra cache. In some games it's a huge difference, up to 30% increase. Also really impressive 1% lows. Other games, very little difference. But overall around 15% improvement at 1080p with a high end video card. Even if you don't have a high GPU now.. the CPU will allow you to upgrade in the future and not have the CPU be the bottleneck.

That's what pissed me off so much regarding TR4.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The biggest difference I noticed from 1700x to 5800x was when I upgraded from 2x8gb SR 3600mhz to 2x32gb DR 3400mhz. Everything works better and feels way snappier. This may be because of dual rank RAM, not actually because of more RAM. Just tell me how it copies with 1.3gb/s from nvme ssd to one 16TB hard drive ? I just don't understand, I copied like 15 GB in 30 seconds from ssd to hard drive and it does it consistently. It doesn't make sense, is like windows knows I would copy the files to that drive after downloading them first on ssd, so it copies them before I do, otherwise I don't know why it didn't do that with 2x8gb of RAM.
Right click on taskbar and click task manager, did it open instantly or it takes 1 second to load ? Well, now with 2x32 it opens instantly, it doesn't take 1 second like before. Is like I changed CPU not RAM, but if I think more about it, CPU without a good RAM won't work like it was supposed to. If you see big Mhz numbers, it doesn't mean it will be the optimal way to use the CPU.
After my experience, I recommend 2xDR or 4xSR and at least 32gb of it. I'm onstantly using 25GB/64GB and not even by video editing or gaming. With 64gb it always feels like the RAM is empty and like I always have Windows fresh after boot, even if I use it for weeks, because yeah I never turn off my PC.

----- AND people buy HEDT platform for PCI-E LANES, not for single core performance. Is like buying a van 100% filled and complaining that it doesn't drive like a racing car at 200kmh.

·
Registered
200 Posts
There will be no thread like this anymore. Since 5 years active community.

@Ne01 OnnA First combination with these settings without success. Need more experiments. Can't pass post.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Thanks for the input guys! Will wait a little bit more until the prices for the new CPU models are dropping again.

I already purchased a new pair of 16 gb (2 * 8 gb) Flare X Memory (F4-3200C14D-16GFX) but unfortunately I'm getting problems. The original pair of Flare X (batch October 2018) works just fine, all four DIMMs together won't boot (error code 0d). I already updated the BIOS to 8503 (same errors occur even with the 8101), cleared CMOS, etc.

If I try to boot the new pair (batch April 2022) alone the system won't boot either. This drives me nuts. Isn't the Flare-X-Series suppose to work perfectly with AMD Ryzen CPUs? The only way I can boot is with the original pair. o_O

Feedback is very welcome.
Cheers
vAro
Hello man, do you have any news to share regarding new flare X not working on 8503 bios?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hello man, do you have any news to share regarding new flare X not working on 8503 bios?
no problem it works

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hello there,

Just wanted to give you all an update about the faulty ram-module. The local merchant could replicate the error and I got a fresh kit of Flare X memory (2*8 GB 3200 MHz CL 14). This one is running fine with the older kit, no problems, whatsoever. All four modules running at 3600 MHz (16-16-16-28-50-1T) @ 1,35 V. It's from the "same batch" (April 2022).

Still thinking about upgrading to the 5800X3D or 5900X instead. I guess I let the prices drop a bit (more).

Peace
vAro

• Rep+
Reactions: oile
48921 - 48940 of 48963 Posts