Overclock.net banner
48961 - 48980 of 48980 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
PCIe ist technically possible on our board. There was already a BIOS available with PCIe 4 support but it got locked very fast with the next update.
With first stable 1.2.0.7 bios it could be possible that some bios modders will try to unlock it again.

If I would be a good modder,I would not share how to unlock it at the moment and just wait until 1.2.0.7 to make sure it cannot be blocked again

·
RadeonMOD Author
796 Posts
1.2.0.6b shows PCIe4, but it's only for Internal CPU communication.
Working fine on my RIG so far.

·
Registered
60 Posts
It's funny I'll probably never have a desktop with PCIe4 because the C6H with a bitchin 5950x PBO curved will last me right into PCIe5 territory. It would be nice for fast storage i guess.

That being said it is possible to achieve blazing storage speeds on PCIe-anything if you throw enough lanes at it. I'm looking into maybe buying a card to mount a few NVMe drives across multiple (8x) lanes. NVMe drives are cheap enough these days and could stripe them/raid them up to make it a ridiculous scratch/game drive.

Anyone messed around with this kind of thing?

ASUS Hyper M.2 X16 PCIe 3.0 X4 Expansion Card V2 Supports 4 NVMe M.2(2242/2260/2280/22110)Up to 128 Gbps for Intel VROC & AMD : Amazon.ca: Electronics

I have some old Fusion-io drives but they are a friggin PITA for a system I like to OC. Any non-graceful shutdown the iodrives throw a fit and need to do a 15m consistency check.

·
RadeonMOD Author
796 Posts
Here it is 5150MHz on B2 :p in 16/16 Conf. for Gaming.

Font Material property Screenshot Parallel Number

• Rep+
Reactions: mito1172

·
Registered
201 Posts
You need to check the Windows Event Viewer carefully, to check which kind of WHEA error the cpu is outputting.
There are usually 2 kinds of WHEA:
  • WHEA ID 19: Bus Interconnection Error = IF and memory instability.
  • WHEA ID 18: Cache Hierarchy Error = cpu cores instability.
They are not the same thing, not the same error, not coming from the same part of the cpu.
ID 18 is solvable, to a certain degree, by adjusting the voltage and/or CO curve, CoreCycler and @PJVol CO curve tools tp tune the cpu.
ID 19 is solvable by relaxing the mem and/or IF.
And obviously, the overclock results and errors are cpu bin dependent!

Got a WHEA code 18 yesterday:

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error

I'm running the CPU with a +0.0125V offset and PPT/TDC/EDC Limit 180/120/150A, CPU Load-line of Level 3/130%. No Curve Optimizer. Any advise what I should change to prevent code 18 WHEA. My full setup is in the signature.

·
RadeonMOD Author
796 Posts
Got a WHEA code 18 yesterday:

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error

I'm running the CPU with a +0.0125V offset and PPT/TDC/EDC Limit 180/120/150A, CPU Load-line of Level 3/130%. No Curve Optimizer. Any advise what I should change to prevent code 18 WHEA. My full setup is in the signature.
More V and SOC should fix this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I noticed reading this thread that the reported SMU number with zen timings varies even with same model boards and same bios version.
Is that supposed to happen and what does it mean?
Is it something i need to look into fixing for my CH6 Hero?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I noticed reading this thread that the reported SMU number with zen timings varies even with same model boards and same bios version.
Is that supposed to happen and what does it mean?
Is it something i need to look into fixing for my CH6 Hero?
SMU is different depending on the processor generation. Does your SMU not show 46.72.0 with your 3700x?

·
Registered
2 Posts
SMU is different depending on the processor generation. Does your SMU not show 46.72.0 with your 3700x?
Yes indeed it shows exactly that, thought it was BIOS dependent and not CPU dependent, thanks for the clarification

·
Old school
40 Posts
Yes indeed it shows exactly that, thought it was BIOS dependent and not CPU dependent, thanks for the clarification
This is from the early days when we tried to stabilize/debug the motherboard/bios. Thanks goes to @The Stilt for this idea and i think he even made a flashtool for SMU-s or it was @elmor ? Anyway thanks to does guys!! I miss them 😭 :) ROG Crosshair VI overclocking thread

• Rep+
Reactions: jamarinas

·
RadeonMOD Author
796 Posts

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Just ordered 5950X :p (since my PC is more workstation + gaming)

1800X -> 5950X

I was wondering are there any features/tech that does not work on x370 VI HERO with newer AMD CPUs, compared to newer Motherboards? (like PBO and such)

Just wondering what would be the reasons to get newer motherboard later.

·
Registered
246 Posts
PCIE 4.0

• Rep+
Reactions: Neoony

·
Riding on the edge
3,306 Posts
Just wondering what would be the reasons to get newer motherboard later.
Maybe because your current C6 Hero dies unexpectedly lol.
Or perhaps you have extra cash and the OC bug is biting real hard and you just want to have something new.
As mentioned above PCIe 4.0 is about it other than multiple NVMe for new tech.

There is better memory OCing (not saying C6H isn't capable, see attachments).
I took my 16GB kit FlareX to 3800/1900 C16 very easily and decided to upgrade to 32GB with a set of F4-3600C14 TridentZ Neo's.
I'll have fun playing with the Neo's for a while yet as I'm close to stabilizing 14-14-14 (currently 14-15-15).

Coming from a 2700x to 5900x was truly an eye opener on what this mobo is FINALLY capable of doing.
8503 has been the best Bios for me since day one (mobo release) and I am holding my breath again that the new Bios release is, as they claim.
5xx series plus C6H gets a huge "hell ya" from me, no need at all for a new mobo here.
At least not till next gen has the bugs mostly handled, homey ain't playing that game again.

Font Screenshot Software Electronic device Technology

Product Table Font Kitchen & dining room table Computer

Font Rectangle Software Screenshot Electronic device

This is where I left off with my FlareX's Font Screenshot Software Multimedia Electric blue

·
Registered
174 Posts
Maybe because your current C6 Hero dies unexpectedly lol.
Or perhaps you have extra cash and the OC bug is biting real hard and you just want to have something new.
As mentioned above PCIe 4.0 is about it other than multiple NVMe for new tech.

There is better memory OCing (not saying C6H isn't capable, see attachments).
I took my 16GB kit FlareX to 3800/1900 C16 very easily and decided to upgrade to 32GB with a set of F4-3600C14 TridentZ Neo's.
I'll have fun playing with the Neo's for a while yet as I'm close to stabilizing 14-14-14 (currently 14-15-15).

Coming from a 2700x to 5900x was truly an eye opener on what this mobo is FINALLY capable of doing.
8503 has been the best Bios for me since day one (mobo release) and I am holding my breath again that the new Bios release is, as they claim.
5xx series plus C6H gets a huge "hell ya" from me, no need at all for a new mobo here.
At least not till next gen has the bugs mostly handled, homey ain't playing that game again.

View attachment 2561929
View attachment 2561930
View attachment 2561932
This is where I left off with my FlareX's View attachment 2561933
:love: I totally agree with your whole argument (y)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all. I'm going to be dropping a 5900x in my ch6 in the near future. I wanted to look at getting more ram. The ram that is on the QVL list has some spotty availability at this point and I'd like to avoid rma/exchange/return tag if possible.
Can anyone point me to some decent speed/value 64gb/32gb kits to use with the mobo? I'm currently using g.skill F4-3200C14D-16GFX ram which has worked fine for the past 5 years. I just want to increase the ram for virtualization.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all. I'm going to be dropping a 5900x in my ch6 in the near future. I wanted to look at getting more ram. The ram that is on the QVL list has some spotty availability at this point and I'd like to avoid rma/exchange/return tag if possible.
Can anyone point me to some decent speed/value 64gb/32gb kits to use with the mobo? I'm currently using g.skill F4-3200C14D-16GFX ram which has worked fine for the past 5 years. I just want to increase the ram for virtualization.

Thanks!
I am personally running 32G (4x8G) of Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4-3600 CL16. It is definitely not on the QVL, but I just plugged it into my board and enabled DOCP and it has been working perfectly fine with my 5950X on my CH VI Extreme.

48961 - 48980 of 48980 Posts