Overclock.net banner
41 - 60 of 47453 Posts

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Bilko View Post

Sorry, takes my 1700x 1.44v to boot into windows at 4.0, for 3.9 takes 1.387v to get stable, I should have expanded on that (been a long 2 days for me)

That's with my 2x8 Vengeance 3200c16 stick running at 2666c16 as well.

I won the lottery on my 7890k, I got a good 9590 as well so my luck with AMD was bound to run out at some point
frown.gif
Ok, that seems to be about an average chip actually (at least for 1700X and 1700). Can you help build up some data on which sticks are working well? If you can get the part number (CPU-Z SPD tab will do) and report if they work at 2933 or 3200 ratios?

·
Premium Member
6,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmor View Post

Quote:

Sorry, takes my 1700x 1.44v to boot into windows at 4.0, for 3.9 takes 1.387v to get stable, I should have expanded on that (been a long 2 days for me)

I won the lottery on my 7890k, I got a good 9590 as well so my luck with AMD was bound to run out at some point
frown.gif
Ok, that seems to be about an average chip actually (at least for 1700X and 1700). Can you help build up some data on which sticks are working well? If you can get the part number (CPU-Z SPD tab will do) and report if they work at 2933 or 3200 ratios?
oh man....I was hoping for 4.0 :/

Corsair Vengeance LED 2x8GB 3200 16-18-18-36-2T

Does not work at the 2933 and 3200 ratios for me (have not tried additional voltage)

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Quote:

Does not work at the 2933 and 3200 ratios for me (have not tried additional voltage)
5803 BIOS? If you manually set timings to 16-16-16-16-36?

·
Premium Member
6,820 Posts
Quote:

Quote:

5803 BIOS? If you manually set timings to 16-16-16-16-36?
Yes, 5803 BIOS and no, haven't tried manual timings, that for 2933 or 3200?

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Quote:

Either, if it still doesn't work next step would be to see where you top out when increasing BCLK Frequency at 2666 ratio.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Quote:

damn as the 32gb 3200 vengeance led kit is single rank too. found out after looking at asus strix z270 qvl list with trying to find SS kits. looks like 2x16gb kits really do top off at 2666mhz.

edit:
i see corsair does make a 2666mhz 2x16gb kit. i see they set the cas to 16-18-18-18-35 @ 1.2vs so i guess safe bet for the 3000 and 3200 kit is to just run them at 2666mhz 16-18-....-35.
edit:
i've noticed if i leave core performance boost to auto or enable in the bios my voltage hovers around 1.41v's.. i've seen it spike to 1.46v's. if i disable it my voltage drops down to 1.17v - 1.2v's. what the
eek.gif

edit:
after going back into windows with core boost on cpu-z reports 1.4x volts too. thats crazy because didn't amd state 1.4+ volts isn't highly advise for 24/7 overclocking? try to keep it at 1.35vs and below?

·
Premium Member
6,820 Posts
Quote:

Quote:

Either, if it still doesn't work next step would be to see where you top out when increasing BCLK Frequency at 2666 ratio.
Didn't work on either, will try out bclk a little later though. only tried bclk while trying to get 3.95Ghz, still nope.

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffins View Post

damn as the 32gb 3200 vengeance led kit is single rank too. found out after looking at asus strix z270 qvl list with trying to find SS kits. looks like 2x16gb kits really do top off at 2666mhz.

edit:
i see corsair does make a 2666mhz 2x16gb kit. i see they set the cas to 16-18-18-18-35 @ 1.2vs so i guess safe bet for the 3000 and 3200 kit is to just run them at 2666mhz 16-18-....-35.
edit:
i've noticed if i leave core performance boost to auto or enable in the bios my voltage hovers around 1.41v's.. i've seen it spike to 1.46v's. if i disable it my voltage drops down to 1.17v - 1.2v's. what the
eek.gif

running an 1700x too

edit:
after going back into windows with core boost on cpu-z reports 1.4x volts too. thats crazy because didn't amd state 1.4+ volts isn't highly advise for 24/7 overclocking? try to keep it at 1.35vs and below?
That voltage behavior is normal. During single threaded load it will go up to 1.45v but during multi-threaded loads it will be a lower.

·
PC Enthusiast
1,093 Posts
+Rep Elmor, Thanks for all the great info!.
thumb.gif

Quote:

frown.gif
Aw man, Now I'm really nervous, Was hoping you'd do 4ghz @ under 1.4V.

Lets see how mine does, If only I could get some time
mad.gif

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Quote:

I fixed it!

Turns out me using an EK waterblock was the problem, swapped over to a Noctua cooler and boots first time everytime, pretty sure it's something to do with the mounting hardware but I can't be sure.
Did you get the Evo Supremacy from performance-pcs that suppose to be AM4 compatible?

·
Premium Member
6,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriant View Post

Quote:

I fixed it!

Turns out me using an EK waterblock was the problem, swapped over to a Noctua cooler and boots first time everytime, pretty sure it's something to do with the mounting hardware but I can't be sure.
Did you get the Evo Supremacy from performance-pcs that suppose to be AM4 compatible?
I'm Aussie
tongue.gif

I actually ordered an AM4 mounting kit + AM4 Waterblock direct form EK for it.

In this case I've been using the mounting kit as I wanted to check clearance on the Hero with it (some AM3 boards had issues) and I was kinda lazy.

The issue was the punchout for the rubber gasket that goes between the backplate and the board, once I removed that everything was just gravy
smile.gif

So make sure you remove that little centre cutout!

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Quote:

I'm Aussie
tongue.gif

I actually ordered an AM4 mounting kit + AM4 Waterblock direct form EK for it.

In this case I've been using the mounting kit as I wanted to check clearance on the Hero with it (some AM3 boards had issues) and I was kinda lazy.

The issue was the punchout for the rubber gasket that goes between the backplate and the board, once I removed that everything was just gravy
smile.gif

So make sure you remove that little centre cutout!
Ah, I c.

Hmm, well, the block I got from P-PCS mounts on the plate that's already installed on the board, doesn't come with one of it's own, and the EK manual attests that it should be installed that way, so hopefully it will work.

Side note: Newegg's customer services is in my blacklist for the next month. They messed up with shipping labels - the board was shipped on Friday and the board was returned by Fedex back to Newegg on Friday without ever living CA. Now, to just simply...re-shipping the package right away same day, Newegg elected to create an RMA for me, which means they will "inspect" the package etc per their procedures and then ship it again...sometime on Monday at the earliest, so instead of getting it by Tuesday, now I have noooo clue when I will receive it =\

P.S. this is just me ranting, as I have everything else ready to build the rig right now.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have my 1700X overclocked to 3.8 with 2666 DDR4 CL15 (going to try 3.9 soon) i left voltages on auto (they are currently 1.373v to 1.395v and 1.356 under load)

Anyways any tips (without using LLC ideally) on how to get to 4.0GHz? as for voltage, should i use offset mode? auto? or manual voltage? and how much voltage should i use? should i increase bclk? and how much bclk can i use without affecting PCIe?what does Core Performance Boost due when you are overclocking? is it good or bad to have on? and what does the latest BIOS support that the current non beta BIOS does not?

also i have Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000 CL15 32GB (2x16GB) and from reading it looks like corsair tops out at 2666, is this true? could i lower my timings to 14 from 15 at 2666? and is there any way to get a little more out of it? could i give it looser timings and/or more voltage to get 3200? or am i out of luck and need different RAM?

·
Registered
211 Posts
so i replaced my 1700x with an 1800x since my local frys got more back in stock and replaced my 3000mhz vengeance led 32gb kit for a 16gb 3000mhz vengeance led kit and the 16gb kit works at 2933mhz with d.o.c.p standard! i'll wait till memory get ironed out more to pick up another 32gb kit.

on a side note i think i found another bug with the board. fan settings don't stick. doesn't matter if i set it to standard, turbo, or manually create a curve, it doesn't stick after exiting bios. i have to go back into bios and go to easy mode, click on fan settings, and click on all the options on the left to kick it back into place, and then exit the bios by exiting - not saving anything. i have to do this upon every reboot. i have my fans set to pwm mode if that makes a difference. i noticed this on 5704 and 5803. not sure about the shipped bios since i wiped it the moment i did my very first post.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchad View Post

I have my 1700X overclocked to 3.8 with 2666 DDR4 CL15 (going to try 3.9 soon) i left voltages on auto (they are currently 1.373v to 1.395v and 1.356 under load)

Anyways any tips (without using LLC ideally) on how to get to 4.0GHz? as for voltage, should i use offset mode? auto? or manual voltage? and how much voltage should i use? should i increase bclk? and how much bclk can i use without affecting PCIe?what does Core Performance Boost due when you are overclocking? is it good or bad to have on? and what does the latest BIOS support that the current non beta BIOS does not?

also i have Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000 CL15 32GB (2x16GB) and from reading it looks like corsair tops out at 2666, is this true? could i lower my timings to 14 from 15 at 2666? and is there any way to get a little more out of it? could i give it looser timings and/or more voltage to get 3200? or am i out of luck and need different RAM?
so far it appears 16gb modules have issues running at anything higher than 2666mhz for both single and dual ranked dims. my previous 3000mhz dual ranked couldn't do it and sgt bilko single ranked 3200mhz appears to be the same as well.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hi Elmore, I'm the CPU guy for Custompcreview.com and I've been having a ton of issues with my crosshair VI, she's a beautiful board but just dealing with constant crashing. Hoping the new BIOS update increases stability. I had some questions regarding overclocking and memory performance. I have two DDR4 kits on hand and wanted recommendations on which to run.

I have a Patriot Viper 4 series at 2800MHz which I've been running at 2133 (stock timings) PV416G280C6K

I also have a Kingston HyperX Savage kit (Found a PDF here) http://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/HX424C14SBK4_64.pdf

Wondering which would be more stable and what I can hope to expect to push on these kits. Common sense is telling me the Kingston kit is going to fare worse.

Finally I keep getting memory management blue screens when I overclock, is there something simple I'm missing.

Thanks - Alex Stevens CPCR

·
Registered
103 Posts
When we're pushing the REFCLK should we use SATA or m.2 for storage?

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
How are you guys liking the board so far? I know everything is still being ironed out, but already like 5 reviewers have fried these boards. Got me worried about pulling the trigger. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
6,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoray View Post

How are you guys liking the board so far? I know everything is still being ironed out, but already like 5 reviewers have fried these boards. Got me worried about pulling the trigger. Thoughts?
The board is beautiful but it does need some lovin which I fully expect to happen in the coming weeks
smile.gif

·
Registered
211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoray View Post

how did they fry them?

41 - 60 of 47453 Posts