Overclock.net banner

5241 - 5260 of 12404 Posts

·
BOINC Cruncher
933 Posts
asuswmisensors driver

As I posted in my other message, the driver currently only works on kernels greater than 4.17 because of changes to HWMON. I put it onto my test development Ubuntu 18.10 partition with kernel 4.18.13 and it works beautifully. The developer said he should make changes so it works on earlier kernels shortly. This is the sensors output:

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
Is it possible to return to BIOS 0702 after updating to BIOS 1002 and determining that 1002 isn't compatible with Linux.
As I posted in my other message, the driver currently only works on kernels greater than 4.17 because of changes to HWMON. I put it onto my test development Ubuntu 18.10 partition with kernel 4.18.13 and it works beautifully. The developer said he should make changes so it works on earlier kernels shortly. This is the sensors output:
BIOS 1002 incompatible with linux?? In what way? What about 1103?
I seriously can't wait to get all those sensor readouts! Beautiful.

·
BOINC Cruncher
933 Posts
BIOS 1002 incompatible with linux?? In what way? What about 1103?
I seriously can't wait to get all those sensor readouts! Beautiful.
OK, not enough detail. With the BIOS 0804 which was the first WMI implementation, I found the it87 driver would refuse to load and generated a kernel error because it stomped on an ACPI protected address. That is why I have stuck to 0702 BIOS so far.The WMI export to the kernel really confused it. I never tried any newer version than that one. Maybe the later versions didn't cause the problem with the Linux kernels I am using.

So the new asuswmisensor driver works beautifully in Ubuntu 18.10. Dropped back to my daily driver Ubuntu 18.04 and modprobed the it87 driver back in which I had removed expecting issues with the BIOS 1002 I had flashed. It is still working and other than the normal ACPI warning message about SystemIO range conflicts with the driver address, no issues. So I would say you can safely use the 1002 BIOS now with the it87 driver while waiting for the newer WMI driver. Just use the [options it87 ignore_resource_conflict=1] option in a it87.conf file in /etc/modprobe.d directory in the meantime.

·
Registered
155 Posts
OK, not enough detail. With the BIOS 0804 which was the first WMI implementation, I found the it87 driver would refuse to load and generated a kernel error because it stomped on an ACPI protected address. That is why I have stuck to 0702 BIOS so far.The WMI export to the kernel really confused it. I never tried any newer version than that one. Maybe the later versions didn't cause the problem with the Linux kernels I am using.

So the new asuswmisensor driver works beautifully in Ubuntu 18.10. Dropped back to my daily driver Ubuntu 18.04 and modprobed the it87 driver back in which I had removed expecting issues with the BIOS 1002 I had flashed. It is still working and other than the normal ACPI warning message about SystemIO range conflicts with the driver address, no issues. So I would say you can safely use the 1002 driver now with the it87 driver while waiting for the newer WMI driver. Just use the [options it87 ignore_resource_conflict=1] option in a it87.conf file in /etc/modprobe.d directory in the meantime.
Oh, ok, thanks for the clarification. So it's compatibility with the it87 driver that possibly had issues due to BIOS changes.

I'm actually on kernel 4.19, so maybe the trouble you ran into on Ubuntu 18.04 is a non-issue on Fedora.

Any reason not to try BIOS 1103 with AGESA 1.0.0.6?

·
BOINC Cruncher
933 Posts
New version available for asus-wmi-sensors driver

Oh, ok, thanks for the clarification. So it's compatibility with the it87 driver that possibly had issues due to BIOS changes.

I'm actually on kernel 4.19, so maybe the trouble you ran into on Ubuntu 18.04 is a non-issue on Fedora.

Any reason not to try BIOS 1103 with AGESA 1.0.0.6?
No it shouldn't be an issue at all with kernel 4.19. Git or clone the repository and sudo make dkms. Done deal. You do have to have lm-sensors already installed of course. Very simple installation.

Other than he said it hadn't been tested on anything newer than 1002 which was mandatory, I would say go for it. Flash 1103 with AGESA 1.0.0.6 and let us know if it works. The developer would like to know also.

[Edit]

A new version is available that builds and installs on older kernels is available now.
https://github.com/electrified/asus-wmi-sensors

·
Black Sun Empire
787 Posts
@gupsterg

Which bios is recommended for NOT frying the embbeded controller on C7H.

I also did 2x1hr gsat, sucessfully @2933...
...I hope it passed succesfully as i'm not familiar with gsat nor Linux .

Will post my 2933 template later.
Btw i have DUAL RANKED RAM (3000) crucial ballistix elite in my Main rig .
Officially Amd supports DUAL RANKED @2666 (sounds devilish),from what i've ready so far.
They chips are samsung E die .

I also ordered a asus 1070ti cerberus which is on sale right now . My fury causes these graphical texture issues i have while gaming and they were not persistent .Sometimes it runs good and sometimes i have Messer up textures even in my fresh installed OS SSD.
As i know you also gar a few furys, what dir you saw this Kind of values.
Same driver used in both ssd' s 18.11.2 .
But i get different results on hwinfo64 .

As my first issues with the system started on a fresh installed system over Night.

So where my fury showed me those results, i've never seen before .
Atm i don't have these values spotted since the issues started on 4.1.2019 .

Normally it should look like this or?

Gesendet von meinem SM-G950F mit Tapatalk

·
BOINC Cruncher
933 Posts
I found that the older it87 driver works fine with BIOS 1002. You still would need to make an it87.conf file for the /etc/modprobe.d directory with the contents of options it87 ignore_resource_conflict=1

You won't "fry" anything. You will just not load the driver or will have errors without the options it87 ignore_resource_conflict=1 contents in an it87.conf file.

However I would just forego the older it87 driver for now as the developer as just made a new release of the asus-wmi-sensors driver that works on earlier kernels

https://github.com/electrified/asus-wmi-sensors

·
BOINC Cruncher
933 Posts
@minal. Go get the new asus-wmi-sensors driver. It has been updated to install to older kernels without the need for hwmon_max definition. Currently running it on my Ubuntu 18.04 distro with kernel 4.15.0-43. All the WMI sensors are reporting.

·
Registered
155 Posts
@minal . Go get the new asus-wmi-sensors driver. It has been updated to install to older kernels without the need for hwmon_max definition. Currently running it on my Ubuntu 18.04 distro with kernel 4.15.0-43. All the WMI sensors are reporting.
Thanks for reporting! I haven't updated the BIOS yet because I don't want to reboot just now. I'll try the asus-wmi-sensors driver as soon as I do, and since I'm on kernel 4.19 there should be no problem with the hwmon_max definition. I'm thinking I'll try BIOS 1103 with AGESA 1.0.0.6 for no other reason than validating it.

·
Black Sun Empire
787 Posts
I've found out that the bios option :

Adress Hash Bank when on auto it is enabled .
So i tried to disable it and got BankGroupSwapalt deactivated, proofed via rtc .

So to me it seems Adress Hash Bank is BankGroupSwapalt .

Also on windows when i run hwinfo i get 1dpc-mr, thinking of issue when also runing rtc .

cheers

Gesendet von meinem SM-G950F mit Tapatalk

Passed another 1hr30min of gsat, so far so good.

Now testing with 1usmus tm5 cfg on win 10.

Passed, now trying the docp bios option and do tests .

docp setting passed

·
Registered
155 Posts
Success! asus-wmi-sensors is working nicely on BIOS 1103 and kernel 4.19.15. It's so great having the fan RPM, temperature, and voltage readings from linux.

I installed the driver with "sudo make dkms" and then had it start at boot by creating the file /usr/lib/modules-load.d/asus-wmi-sensors.conf containing the module's name "asus-wmi-sensors". (Noted here for my future reference :) )

=====

Btw, on BIOS 1103 compared to 0702, I'm noticing 30-50MHz more on the CPU, depending on load. The CPU seems to hit 4.35GHz more easily and frequently on single/few cores, and stay around 4.15GHz on all cores on typical full loads vs maybe 4.10GHz before. 4.06GHz on all cores with p95. Similar ambient and peak temperatures between the comparisons.

On both BIOSes, the settings are PBO+CPB enabled, no/default PE, -50mV offset on Vcore, and RAM at DOCP 3200MHz with 1.35V DRAM Voltage.

Attachments

·
Computer Enthusiast
2,887 Posts
I've been playing around with the Stilt's 3600 1.4v T2 profile today. It ended when I was unable to control my fans properly, even from the bios. Also, the profile stopped working at all until I put 60-ohm in manually for
Proc ODT - and then when it booted, I would have these same problems, using the bios OR AISuite!

When I tried to optimize them in the bios ch1 and ch3 would just get stuck on full power. I notice that even after loading default values for the bios, when I tried re-optimizing the fans strange things were still happening.

For one all my PWM fans are identified as DC, and won't work properly unless they are left like that!?!?!? These problems repeat if I try loading the T2 profile again.

I may go back to 1103 which seemed more reliable to me. Also didn't have that F9 constantly repeating problem. Is @Silent Scone aware of the problems we have with 1201? Are there any betas or releases coming up with fixes?

·
Registered
155 Posts
When I tried to optimize them in the bios ch1 and ch3 would just get stuck on full power. I notice that even after loading default values for the bios, when I tried re-optimizing the fans strange things were still happening.

For one all my PWM fans are identified as DC, and won't work properly unless they are left like that!?!?!? These problems repeat if I try loading the T2 profile again.

I may go back to 1103 which seemed more reliable to me.
Fan control is weird for me too on 1103, and even 0702. eg. fan calibration results in pwm values > 100% for my Noctua A12x25 fan. Luckily I can edit the fan curve chart (so frustrating) to bring it to the values I want, but if I enter values directly in the text fields (I think in Monitoring section of the BIOS), it refuses them as invalid values...

So, I can get the fans to behave as I want, but there are definitely weird issues with input and fan calibration, and that seems to be the case across many BIOS versions.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
-snip-

I may go back to 1103 which seemed more reliable to me. Also didn't have that F9 constantly repeating problem. Is @Silent Scone aware of the problems we have with 1201? Are there any betas or releases coming up with fixes?

My theory is that F9 is from too little SOC voltage. Care to help me test that theory by only increasing SOC when you see it next?

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Can someone tell me what PLL voltage does and why LN2 mode bumps it up to 2.1V?

·
Computer Enthusiast
2,887 Posts
Fan control is weird for me too on 1103, and even 0702. eg. fan calibration results in pwm values > 100% for my Noctua A12x25 fan. Luckily I can edit the fan curve chart (so frustrating) to bring it to the values I want, but if I enter values directly in the text fields (I think in Monitoring section of the BIOS), it refuses them as invalid values...

So, I can get the fans to behave as I want, but there are definitely weird issues with input and fan calibration, and that seems to be the case across many BIOS versions.
Glad it's not just me! I sometimes get good results but recently has just been strange - had 2 fans in the HAMP and it could never detect them. Even 2 identical fans didn't work on 1 connector. I've never had these problems with the CPU fan though - always seems to calibrate well.

·
Computer Enthusiast
2,887 Posts
How are you getting on with the G.Skill F4-4266s @majestynl ? Have you experimented more with them? What settings have you settled for? Just interested if your experience is same as mine.....

·
BOINC Cruncher
933 Posts
Look for a further asus-wmi-sensors update as an issue has been logged describing the double reporting of CPU Voltage and SoC voltage because of the polling from both the WMI interface and the EC (embedded controller) interface. Suggested change is to add a suffix to the sensor value denoting its source like SIV or HwInfo does.

There are slight differences in values from both sources because of the bit resolution differences in D-A conversion.

·
Computer Enthusiast
2,887 Posts
My theory is that F9 is from too little SOC voltage. Care to help me test that theory by only increasing SOC when you see it next?
I don't think so - if I have it higher than it is ram becomes unstable.

Not sure about PLL, but I've always left mine on auto which comes out as 1.984v (actual I think is 2v) when OCing

·
Registered
155 Posts
Look for a further asus-wmi-sensors update as an issue has been logged describing the double reporting of CPU Voltage and SoC voltage because of the polling from both the WMI interface and the EC (embedded controller) interface. Suggested change is to add a suffix to the sensor value denoting its source like SIV or HwInfo does.

There are slight differences in values from both sources because of the bit resolution differences in D-A conversion.
Which source is considered more accurate?

5241 - 5260 of 12404 Posts