Overclock.net banner

6461 - 6480 of 12121 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Just an update, moving all the same hardware over to the Aorus Gaming 7 has solved the pops/crackles and what wasn't apparent to me, stutter in games.

I didn't even format and he issues were gone immediately so definitely something up with the CH7.

The sad part is the Gigabyte's bios is absolute garbage and IMO Asus functioned like a Rolls Royce in comparison (especially in terms of fan control).
Yeah i knew it had to be ASUS, the C7H Wifi has the problem, the C6H also had this problem.

Gigabyte BIOS was revamped but i think is only for new boards (not sure).

I'm seriously disappointed in ASUS, i mean when i look at BIOS: https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/f12/ultimative-am4-uefi-bios-ubersicht-14-06-19-a-1228903.html

ASUS is only one that literally just doesn't have more than 3 boards on 1.0.0.1 (and its been at least a week since)

I also still didn't forget the mess it was with Fans randomly going full speed out of nowhere either and took them over a year to get it fixed.

Either way all these new boards are very expensive, the only upgrade i see for me is the 3950X, then the Gigabyte X570 Aorus Extreme is very appealing but also very expensive.

Guess i'll just buy the CPU at one point depending on how it performs in games.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Have you guys experienced the same behavior after Windows 1903 Update? Where after the update, The CPU doesn't go to the lower stepping (power limit) even when setting the Windows profile to "balanced" with the minimum set to 5%. After the update, my CPU doesn't really stays at low power and starts to draw 1.5+ almost constantly. any minor request by a program will make the CPU to kick in at almost full frequency while pushing the voltage over 1.5volt And yes i'm using PE4 But before the update i was getting a 1.530max volt for just a second and the back to 1.450volt max with 1.475 averages on Gaming. way less if i was only browsing and stuff like that. I did went back to 1803 and everything went back to normal. although something tells me that something might be wrong there. I did noticed that while on the 1903 Update if went on killing all programs running in the background the CPU would end up stepping back to the lower voltage and cpu frequency.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Have you guys experienced the same behavior after Windows 1903 Update? Where after the update, The CPU doesn't go to the lower stepping (power limit) even when setting the Windows profile to "balanced" with the minimum set to 5%. After the update, my CPU doesn't really stays at low power and starts to draw 1.5+ almost constantly. any minor request by a program will make the CPU to kick in at almost full frequency while pushing the voltage over 1.5volt And yes i'm using PE4 But before the update i was getting a 1.530max volt for just a second and the back to 1.450volt max with 1.475 averages on Gaming. way less if i was only browsing and stuff like that. I did went back to 1803 and everything went back to normal. although something tells me that something might be wrong there. I did noticed that while on the 1903 Update if went on killing all programs running in the background the CPU would end up stepping back to the lower voltage and cpu frequency.
Are you on the latest chipset drivers?

·
Registered
288 Posts
You're not alone in this boat. I saw the same behavior when I installed 1903 (fresh install - no update). The only workaround I've found so far is to create a power plan where I limit the max CPU speed to 50%, so that when I'm just browsing the web, the system is not pulling up absurd voltages and clocks.

I'm using the latest chipset drivers and my installation is up to date as well.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
You're not alone in this boat. I saw the same behavior when I installed 1903 (fresh install - no update). The only workaround I've found so far is to create a power plan where I limit the max CPU speed to 50%, so that when I'm just browsing the web, the system is not pulling up absurd voltages and clocks.

I'm using the latest chipset drivers and my installation is up to date as well.
I've been hearing about new optimizations within Windows with 1903, but they all say that you need a new chipset driver which they speak about as if it hasn't been released yet. However, I do wonder if it's the latest one that motherboard manufacturers are telling users to update with the new AGESA roll outs.

I'm still on on 1809 so I haven't seen the behavior myself.

·
Meddling user
7,423 Posts
Gonna look at all this today I hope. Been busy this week. Do you mind sending me your bios that worked. Would save me some time.
This one is 2304 with mCode D.

My current sticks (2) seem to prefer BGS and BGSA to be disabled.
Shouldn't make a difference in stability IMO. Again it's a technique for organising RAM access from what I gathered.

The Stilt recomended BGS: Off BGSA: On if running 1 dimm per channel of single sided/rank RAM, any other setup BGS: On BGSA: Off.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I've updated to 1903 and I think I'm seeing the same thing. If the reporting on the 1903 optimizations are accurate and the latest chipset drivers are the ones we need for it to work then it seems like what we are seeing is the optimization to speed responses. Namely the slide pictured.

Attachments

·
Meddling user
7,423 Posts
Plan on using 1903 on 2700X+C7H this weekend, TR1950X+ZEA seems normal to me...

1903.jpg

Install was fresh ISO not update...

·
Registered
501 Posts
I've been hearing about new optimizations within Windows with 1903, but they all say that you need a new chipset driver which they speak about as if it hasn't been released yet. However, I do wonder if it's the latest one that motherboard manufacturers are telling users to update with the new AGESA roll outs.

I'm still on on 1809 so I haven't seen the behavior myself.
I've updated to 1903 and I think I'm seeing the same thing. If the reporting on the 1903 optimizations are accurate and the latest chipset drivers are the ones we need for it to work then it seems like what we are seeing is the optimization to speed responses. Namely the slide pictured.
You don't need a new chipset driver except for Ryzen 3xxx series. Should've been obvious from HWUB's testing even though they came to a different conclusion. https://twitter.com/Thracks/status/1139578937531666434

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
You don't need a new chipset driver except for Ryzen 3xxx series. Should've been obvious from HWUB's testing even thought they came to a different conclusion. https://twitter.com/Thracks/status/1139578937531666434
Lol, I'm an idiot. The thing I thought it was states clearly it's for 3rd gen Ryzen.

Maybe I am only seeing what I want then, but I think I am seeing more frequent voltage spikes. I should have paid more attention before I upgraded though. My assessment is the furthest from scientific.

·
Stuck in the past
1,143 Posts
This one is 2304 with mCode D.

Shouldn't make a difference in stability IMO. Again it's a technique for organising RAM access from what I gathered.

The Stilt recomended BGS: Off BGSA: On if running 1 dimm per channel of single sided/rank RAM, any other setup BGS: On BGSA: Off.
Thank for the bios. Will check it out in a bit.

Exactly what you said....and people need to know they need to check is they have single sided or double sided ram. I forgot about that detail.

·
Meddling user
7,423 Posts
@mtrai

NP. I can't say I found mCode injection has destabilised UEFI in minor tests done so far, so look forward to knowing how you find it.

RT PBOE 1.075 1.385 0.687 34 Off 48 room 22C PASS 2600%.jpg

If you have, can you share SiSoft Sandra > Processor MultiCore Efficiency benchmark results?

·
Stuck in the past
1,143 Posts
@gupsterg will do testing and all over the weekend.

·
Computer Enthusiast
2,849 Posts
Lol, I'm an idiot. The thing I thought it was states clearly it's for 3rd gen Ryzen.

Maybe I am only seeing what I want then, but I think I am seeing more frequent voltage spikes. I should have paid more attention before I upgraded though. My assessment is the furthest from scientific.
There is some performance increase with this version of Windows - it's widely reported on youtube that the May update has brought some better games benchmarks.... So just the left half of the image :)

I'm only just installing it myself - it still hadn't come up in Windows update!

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
There is some performance increase with this version of Windows - it's widely reported on youtube that the May update has brought some better games benchmarks.... So just the left half of the image :)

I'm only just installing it myself - it still hadn't come up in Windows update!
Yeah, I had to force it with Update Assistant.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Has everyone seen the Geekbench 4 scores run on a Gigabyte X570 with 4400MHz RAM and 4266Mhz RAM? The CPU is a Ryzen 3600.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Are you on the latest chipset drivers?
Yes i tried with the both the ones on the asus website and the ones on AMD website both had the same behaviour. It seems that when you have few process running on the background like Chrome, Corsair iCue, Logitech hub and Steam. Those things alone are enough to make the cpu to kick in lots of volt without idling. And like i said, going back to 1803 solved it so it might be something here. It is a similar behaviour as activating Ryzen Balanced profile on Windows.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Yes i tried with the both the ones on the asus website and the ones on AMD website both had the same behaviour. It seems that when you have few process running on the background like Chrome, Corsair iCue, Logitech hub and Steam. Those things alone are enough to make the cpu to kick in lots of volt without idling. And like i said, going back to 1803 solved it so it might be something here. It is a similar behaviour as activating Ryzen Balanced profile on Windows.
Ummmm, wut?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ummmm, wut?
Some how all of his s's turned into s here you go though.....

Yes i tried with the both the ones on the asus website and the ones on AMD website both had the same behaviour. It seems that when you have few process running on the background like Chrome, Corsair iCue, Logitech hub and steam. Those things alone are enough to make the cpu to kick in lots of volt without idling. And like i said, going back to 1803 solved it so it might be something here. It is a similar behaviour as activating Ryzen Balanced profile on Windows.

·
Registered
186 Posts
6461 - 6480 of 12121 Posts