Overclock.net banner

681 - 700 of 12857 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
@DrumAndBass
As @MacG32 said the code does not affect stability or anything (i did uninstall ryzen master tho because i couldn't stand it :p), as the board goes i'm really happy i went from Rog to Rog.
Some people had memory issues (but those are likely to be processor related as swapping fixed it for some), there are still some improvement that could be made bios wise , and i do get cold boot bug but it s not really an issue (like 10 sec on first boot). Overall i would recommend it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I made a small app to make it easier to standardize the voltage test method among the users.

There are several different conditions, of which some are enforced and some are not.

- Admin rights
- R7 2700X only *
- SMT needs to be enabled *
- Performance Enhancer = Default
- Stock configuration only (fixed / offset voltage and load-line adjustments disallowed) *
- No other monitoring app running simultaneously (e.g. AiTweaker, CPU-Z, HWInfo, AIDA, etc)
- System needs to be at IDLE
- Windows "Balanced" Power Plan (NOT "Ryzen Balanced")

* Enforced

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ag6oE4SOsCmDhS85TinQjsyIbOlG

I suggest that you restart your system and close all unnecessary applications after the system has restarted.
You should wait at least two minutes until you launch the app.

- Extract the archive
- Right click CPO_Test.exe and select "Run as Admin"
- Do not close the windows or perform any other actions while it executes (takes ~80 seconds in total).
- Once completed take a screenshot of the window which remains open.

Keep in mind that whatever the reported delta between the best and the worst core is, at stock there is a frequency delta as well.
The worst core will always run at lower speeds than the best one. Since in PE3 / PE4 mode there is no frequency delta between the cores, the voltage on the worst core will raise significantly compared to stock.
The voltage on the best core will raise as well, but usually not as much as the voltage on the worst core does.
@lordzed83 if you find time can you check that out? i really would like to see how binned performs.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I think people are interested to know what kind of memory kits can achieve such results.
Do share I guess?
It's Gskill TridentZ F4 4000C18D 16GB. Its not a stable overclock.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I think I will try higher frequencies tonight but I want to skip 3600mhz entirely. It seems there is some type of memory hole there that no matter what settings I choose I cannot post so hopefully I can hit 3800mhz and hop over the hole and be stable around C17-18. 4000mhz stable would also be amazing if there is headroom to adjust sub-timings. That’s my rule, if there is no room for adjustment to subs then I don’t bother. A step lower with tight timings will beat it everytime.
I dont think that we with first gen ryzen can go above 3600 stable but you can try ,to achive 3800 with fast timings it needed 1.5v dram and 1.2vsoc ,voltages that is not for 24/7 use.
I bougth the mobo yesterday so i have alot to lern on how i can tweak it ,there are so many settings we can play with

·
Registered
316 Posts
I just LOVE you. I'm so dumb...
I tested so much stuff that I forgot the basics. I am now 100% stable in 3600 cas 16 !!!

Now i will try to push the cpu. I would put screens when evrithing will be good.

Thank you all for your quick answers guys.
What's your SoC voltage?

·
Computer Enthusiast
2,904 Posts
I dont think that we with first gen ryzen can go above 3600 stable but you can try ,to achive 3800 with fast timings it needed 1.5v dram and 1.2vsoc ,voltages that is not for 24/7 use.
I bougth the mobo yesterday so i have alot to lern on how i can tweak it ,there are so many settings we can play with
You never know! My machine booted at 3800 and I got to my desktop - before it rebooted, but I did have to turn on geardown mode to boot >3200.

Still lots more playing around to do. My CPU aint gonna do 4.2 without some LLC - will experiment to see what I can do there, but it also takes more voltage on this board than my previous one.

·
Computer Enthusiast
2,904 Posts
does anyone know what the bios setting SoC Overclock VID is and how you might use it? why might you use it?

also, what is mode 0 bios setting?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I got question related to CPU. So currently I am testing everything on default. On stock setting room temp is ~27C but CPU at idle constantly is between 27 and 35 even if its at 0% and Vcore is const 0.8V. At load for AIDA64 and stock settings temps are 62-65C at Vcore of 1.275V-1.285V with multiplier 39.8x, 40.5x. Do you guys experience the same?

I am asking this because I have krakenx62 and I made little hole there by screw. It's not a big hole but not micro hole too, that's why am i concerned. Maybe this hole cant make CPU at idle to stay at 27C as it was with 1700x where it stayed to min temp not fluctuating. And is it 62-65C too high for 1.275V at full load for 40.0x multiplier for all cores, again that hole? Because I had 1700x at 39.5x Vcore at 1.35V and it was at 80C

Update:
For prime95 8K test temp is at 72C 39.5x multiplier Vcore 1.262-1.269. What are your temps? This is krakenx62

I tested kill ryzen script with ubuntu 18.04 for ~44h no shutdowns, but when i tested AIDA64 on win10 over the night I think it turn off after ~5h not sure why. What I was seeing at the start it would go up and down with temp like 70-75 with aida64 something was wrong there not sure what. Any issues with that, anyone?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I do not change much in the bios besides certain voltages and memory interleaving settings. Once I get home from work I will lay out how I go through timings and some rules that I picked up that do seem to hold true most of the time, at least for BDie anyways. I think arriving at lower timings has a lot to do with the tightening process and tweaking certain voltages and settings that increase stability. I will say that rfc is one of the things I adjust right after the primaries since it seems to be a key player in performance from what I have noticed from this set of BDie and the former 3200mhz set I have in my Asus Prime board which had nearly the same timings as you see from my above post. I’m hoping to hit mid 50ns latencies once I get my 2700x and bios revisions progress further. I want every bit of the advertised 4133 kit and I will get it no matter what, even if this ram isn’t on QVL (who pays attn to QVL anyways?) 😆
Thanks, i don't know what voltages those could be outside RAM and VSOC, even then i had trouble running some overclocks and the cause was actually the voltage being higher rather than lower than it should, i use vsoc of 1.05 atm at 3333MHz with CL4 and using this RAM 1.35V.

·
Meddling user
7,423 Posts
does anyone know what the bios setting SoC Overclock VID is and how you might use it? why might you use it?
SOC overclock VID is a hexadecimal value representing the SOC voltage in microvolts, like PState VID found in AMD CBS menus.

Personally I'd avoid using SOC overclock VID and just adjust SOC as needed on Extreme Tweaker page.

I got question related to CPU. So currently I am testing everything on default. On stock setting room temp is ~27C but CPU at idle constantly is between 27 and 35 even if its at 0% and Vcore is const 0.8V. At load for AIDA64 and stock settings temps are 62-65C at Vcore of 1.275V-1.285V with multiplier 39.8x, 40.5x. Do you guys experience the same?

I am asking this because I have krakenx62 and I made little hole there by screw. It's not a big hole but not micro hole too, that's why am i concerned. Maybe this hole cant make CPU at idle to stay at 27C as it was with 1700x where it stayed to min temp not fluctuating. And is it 62-65C too high for 1.275V at full load for 40.0x multiplier for all cores, again that hole? Because I had 1700x at 39.5x Vcore at 1.35V and it was at 80C

Update:
For prime95 8K test temp is at 72C 39.5x multiplier Vcore 1.262-1.269. What are your temps? This is krakenx62

I tested kill ryzen script with ubuntu 18.04 for ~44h no shutdowns, but when i tested AIDA64 on win10 over the night I think it turn off after ~5h not sure why. What I was seeing at the start it would go up and down with temp like 70-75 with aida64 something was wrong there not sure what. Any issues with that, anyone?
So far not had a Ryzen CPU which does not "bounce" temperature at idle or load. Even the TR1950X I have, at stock, 2x 360mm slim rads as cooling, has temp bounce.

Ryzen has ~20 on die temperature sensors, some rotating occurs and highest value is shown. So it is inevitable IMO that we'll see bounce.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts

Update:

Fluctuating temps are normal behavior on ryzen system with stock settings. On my 1800x I saw +/-10c fluctuations. Playing with some sensor like SensMi and the offsets you can change that behavior.

Those temp differences with Aida could be normal. When you are stress testing, the used SW is applying differend loads and actions.

Don't know why it stopped but maybe it was of instability or maybe a power management kicked in?

·
Computer Enthusiast
2,904 Posts
Thanks Gupsterg - I figured it might be that..... no ideas about mode 0?

I'm trying to work on my Ram today. I'm trying to work out why I need to engage geardown for =>3200MTs. I'm happy geardown has made it so easy to OC my memory, currently at 3533CL14, but of course I'd like to get the max out of it. Perhaps my IMC needs geardown? Or could it be something to do with my particular b-die and how it's been binned? I did used to run it at 3200 extreme 14,13,13,13,26 on old board before AGESA 1000a came along on my Prime x370 Pro.

I'll do a few more tests with geardown disabled to see if I can get it working, but I have a feeling I just need to accept it's only going to go higher with it enabled.

I've also had a problem with Windows, most often when testing settings - I reboot, change settings, save and reboot. Just before Windows finishes booting it hangs and I have to reboot and it works. I forgot to have a look at qcode but will update later if this problem persists

·
Registered
21 Posts
Has anyone else had issues with the chip set pcie slots/lanes?
Randomly(after a restart, cold boot, complete reboot) I will lose all connectivity to anything that is using the chipset pcie(1x slots) which also included the onboard network cards both wired and wireless? Overclocked or defaults it just happens.
The only way I can get them working is power down, press retry rinse repeat until qcode 3E.

I have this feeling I need to RMA this board....

·
Meddling user
7,423 Posts
@crakej

NP :) .

No idea why you need GDM for >3200MHz, couldn't say if it's IMC/RAM "thing". Ryzen was my first experience of DDR4, still learning/"swotting up".

Any chance of screenie of this "Mode 0" option? Sorry still not built my 2700X+C7H, still tinkering with 1800X+C6H, but I got further with the build. I have managed to install CPU :p .

·
Computer Enthusiast
2,904 Posts
It's below the SoC OC VID...

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Fluctuating temps are normal behavior on ryzen system with stock settings. On my 1800x I saw +/-10c fluctuations. Playing with some sensor like SensMi and the offsets you can change that behavior.

Those temp differences with Aida could be normal. When you are stress testing, the used SW is applying differend loads and actions.

Don't know why it stopped but maybe it was of instability or maybe a power management kicked in?
Ok guys so I got one more shutdown during OCCT large, so it is something related to random shutdowns that people have. I dont have any nzxt or crossair software but I installed aura set it and unsintalled. What to do?

UPDATE: So i change only motherboard to C7H and cpu to 2700x, so problem is with C7H. Whether its bios or software.. with linux ubutnu 18.10 it lasted 44h before I turned off. So bios is not a problem. I think it's new windows10 update or some software installed on it. What you guys think?

681 - 700 of 12857 Posts