Overclock.net banner

721 - 740 of 12850 Posts

·
Well, hello there...
4,500 Posts
BIOS reset to defaults. Used 42 as the multiplier, added 100 BCLK, and put 1.425V in Vcore. Even with any LLC, the voltage doesn't go past 1.406V as read under Vcore in HWiNFO and CPU-Z. The Core # VIDs in HWiNFO all show 1.425V. Is there a setting or something I'm missing here to "unlock" the Vcore. This is my first overclock attempt on AMD hardware.

·
Premium Member
2,749 Posts
BIOS reset to defaults. Used 42 as the multiplier, added 100 BCLK, and put 1.425V in Vcore. Even with any LLC, the voltage doesn't go past 1.406V as read under Vcore in HWiNFO and CPU-Z. The Core # VIDs in HWiNFO all show 1.425V. Is there a setting or something I'm missing here to "unlock" the Vcore. This is my first overclock attempt on AMD hardware.
Manual voltage is broken LLC wise in 0601 bios.
Or not broken, but the control doesn't work as it should.

·
BOINC Cruncher
Serenity Numbskull
963 Posts
What does Mode 0 do?

Mode0 was somehow Linux related, but I have no additional info on that.

SoC Overclock VID allows you to override the default (static) VID the SoC domain requests from the VRM controller.

OC VID in HEX = ((1.55 - "the desired voltage") * 160).

@The Stilt. Could I impose on you to ask your ASUS BIOS colleagues what the Mode 0 does for Linux users? I have that setting in the 4008 and 4011 BIOS' for my X370 Prime Pro boards and use Linux. Been wondering what it does also and came here for the answer.

·
Meddling user
7,423 Posts
Many of you still seem to use Linpack to evaluate the stability.

Linpack is a pretty poor stability test, unless you're able use extremely large problems sizes.
The CPU basically sits idle around 20% of the total time spent for the computation of each loop (memory alloc & dealloc).

If you want to test the true stability of the CPU, use Prime95 28.10 for Ryzen: http://www.mersenne.org/ftp_root/gimps/p95v2810.win64.zip with custom 128/128 in-place settings.
Newer P95 versions are less stressful to the CPU, so use the 28.10 instead.

Linpack no doubt "tests" (stresses) the memory better (more) than Prime95 does, however to determine the memory stability you should be using a dedicated utility from the get-go (Ram Test or HCI).

Personally, I wouldn't use a system which is just Linpack stable for anything productive.
Not tried on C7H. Seeing ~10% greater load with v28.10B1 vs v29.4B8 for test as you guide. This was using wall plug readings and also comparing SVI2 Power readings.

·
Well, hello there...
4,500 Posts
Manual voltage is broken LLC wise in 0601 bios.
Or not broken, but the control doesn't work as it should.

Thank you. I switched to BIOS 0509 and it's still doing the same thing. My Vcore will not go over 1.406V. I've never experienced a problem like this before...

Ai Overclock Tuner: Manual
BCLK Frequency: 100
CPU Core Ratio: 42
CPU Core Voltage: Manual
CPU Core Voltage Override: 1.425
LLC: 5

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Found a couple of oddities today on a ryzen 1700x + crosshair vii x470 + corsair mem ram
Mind you I didn't install hdd, sdd or OS yet. Just plugged the cpu, mem ram, (vga), psu to test them out. So no stability or further tests beyond a simple successful posting.

My cpu can go into 4.1ghz @ 1.32v, bclk 100 multi 41 (soc @1.2v) with a NH-d15 (temps seemed fine... at least idle in the bios, low 40's ºC) but it doesn't give a scrap more. 4.125 @1.45v doesn't even post. I found this quite baffling. I know this doesn't mean much without even booting into windows (or another stability tests), but my only available testing methodology for now is posting or fail.
The ram, 32gb x4 (vengeance 3600 cl18; already confirmed it's a b-die), can run (it posts) at that 4.1ghz clock @ 3333mhz, 14-14-14-16-34-50, 1.35v (+other tweaked values, mainly 60ohm, 1t, gear down off) but it doesn't give in any more on tightening the timings nor increased freq, even at 1.5v it doesn't post for 3400mhz; or cl13 for that matter.
I also tried to tighten the timings under 3200mhz, but it also wouldn't (as far as 1.45v not even 13-14-14, etc).

Other things, did anyone else notice the ridiculous voltages in the optimized defaults AND safe boot in the Crosshair VII. 1.46v, 1.45+ (for 3.4ghz~ default clock for the 1700x).
Also, for some reason I couldn't find out how to maintain the manual values entries unless running TPU II option (auto OC tuning) first, and then changing to manual over it otherwise the auto tuning kicks in and override all of your values, which you had to set to manual to even enter them. Which was also a bit strange.

I can't remember the bios version, the motherboard came in today and it's the one that came out of the box. The system is already disassembled, since I need its gpu (and the psu cable, not the psu) for this one.

Yes, I'm a noob in Overcloking, and was simply trying out the cpu and ram before I finish my system later. Any ideas?

·
Well, hello there...
4,500 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
The only thing that disappoints me is apparently there is not video out for 2200G/2500G. It might be fun to see how just much one of those would do on LN.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Just adding to the data dump.

Right now just using the plain jane AMD box cooler (very sexy I might add) because my Swiftech H320 X2 is getting new coolant, so no real CPU OCing and the voltage spikes I was seeing in Ryzen Master was a little scary, spikes of 1.5 but had no issues getting 4.35 on a single core.

I will say I tested CL14 3466 settings (14-14-14-28) and ran memtest overnight with no errors but, I'll be honest Asus boards and DRAM OCing beyond XMPs is all new to me so not sure what is actually stable for DRAM (not as obvious as CPU/GPU I think) so I've been trying to sponge as much information from the vets as much as possible.

Also where did the post emoitcons disappear to?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Well I've overclocked my 2700X since I got it, at first on an Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming which unfortunately do not have the performance enhancements you get with the Asus Crosshair VII Hero, so my overclocked stayed and I was happy that I was sitting with 4.216ghz using only 1.268vcore. SOC etc I've manually set to the stock 1.05v and all seemed good. SO this morning I decided I wanted to see what the cpu can do when I load default bios settings and change the performance enhancement from Auto to 1 or 2 as 3 did not work before. But I decided to give 3 a go to see what I get. I was amazed when I ran Stilt's CPO test - see first screenshot below.

Performance enhancer 3
CPU Speed 41.75 x 100 = 4160mhz all cores
Hwbot Vcore: 1.28v
Cpuz Vcore: 1.21v which is the closest to actual reading with a multimeter

I then went on to try out performance enhancer 4. Now understand this, I have clocked my cpu up to 4.36ghz using 1.45vcore and I was able to do so with even less vcore for running benchmarks, more so when I was using the X370 board. With this board I'm able to run the cpu at 4.3ghz using only 1.4vcore set in bios with LLC set to 5. But this is what I got from performance enhancer 4.

CPU Speed 43 x 100 = 4.29ghz
Hwbot vcore: 1.369v
CPUz Vcore: 1.352v
Actual reading with multimeter in picture below: 1.32vcore

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Got my CH7 Friday and put it all together today. My CH7 came with 0207 bios, and I used my old Windows 10 SSD, with no issues after the first boot took about 15 mins or so. Everything is faster coming from a 2600k @ 4.8Ghz. Boot up is super quick, shutdowns are great. My memory which is Team Nighthawk 3200Mhz 16-18-18-38, turned out to be B.Die, its probably a case of Extreme YMMV, since most reviewers had stated that Team could change the memory IC down the road.

That said, I have been out of CPU/Memory overclocking for a while, where should I start to and try and see how far this memory could go? What are the safe voltages to use with Ryzen DRAM calculator, any other voltage setting that could be used to ensure stability of Memory OC?

Something weird I noticed, when I set BCLK to 101.5 and undervolt to cpu to -0.050 the system was IBT stable on Very High setting on 0207, when I updated bios and set the same settings it failed the Very High Stress test on 0601 as well as Bios 0509, so I reverted back to 0207 and this time tried Maximum stress setting on IBT and it passed again. Not sure what the difference is between these bios are and why one setting stable on one bios is failing on another.

I also did the stilt's test, however each run seems to be lowering the delta voltage. This was run 4.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Got my CH7 Friday and put it all together today. My CH7 came with 0207 bios, and I used my old Windows 10 SSD, with no issues after the first boot took about 15 mins or so. Everything is faster coming from a 2600k @ 4.8Ghz. Boot up is super quick, shutdowns are great. My memory which is Team Nighthawk 3200Mhz 16-18-18-38, turned out to be B.Die, its probably a case of Extreme YMMV, since most reviewers had stated that Team could change the memory IC down the road.

That said, I have been out of CPU/Memory overclocking for a while, where should I start to and try and see how far this memory could go? What are the safe voltages to use with Ryzen DRAM calculator, any other voltage setting that could be used to ensure stability of Memory OC?

Something weird I noticed, when I set BCLK to 101.5 and undervolt to cpu to -0.050 the system was IBT stable on Very High setting on 0207, when I updated bios and set the same settings it failed the Very High Stress test on 0601 as well as Bios 0509, so I reverted back to 0207 and this time tried Maximum stress setting on IBT and it passed again. Not sure what the difference is between these bios are and why one setting stable on one bios is failing on another.
Been wondering about the new 0601 bios as well, concerning to hear you are having better results with 0207.

·
Computer Enthusiast
2,904 Posts
Everyone with c7h gotit?? Its new thing on c7h bet u not even looked in option to turn it off. Hint there is one.
I know it can go on/off - had these settings on old board as well, just wanted to know exactly what they do :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Been wondering about the new 0601 bios as well, concerning to hear you are having better results with 0207.
My board also came with 0207. It was able to run my ram at higher clocks than I'm capable to do on 0601.
I have no idea what the difference is. But 0207 seems to be where Hero VI was and newer versions seems to be
more Hero VII specific. It's a new platform so a little patience is required. I have no stability issues with 0601.

·
Registered
463 Posts
My board also came with 0207. It was able to run my ram at higher clocks than I'm capable to do on 0601.
I have no idea what the difference is. But 0207 seems to be where Hero VI was and newer versions seems to be
more Hero VII specific. It's a new platform so a little patience is required. I have no stability issues with 0601.
where can i find 6001 bios ?

·
Registered
134 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
stock settings -> Ok guys so I run prime95 blend(90% ram) for 9.5 hours, after that intel burn test 5x 90% ram, after that hci memtest 200%. Then I switched to AIDA64. You can see that there are some jumps while stress testing aida64. I didn't have this experience with 1700x line was straight, not 68C to 75C. After that I switched to OCCT and just opened the program PC shut down ( needed to turn off - turn on PSU to turn on PC). So the problem is with version of aida64 for these new motherboards/cpu. It could be even OCCT problem too.

What do you guys think? But i will not run anymore ADIA64 stress test for this configuration.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well I've overclocked my 2700X since I got it, at first on an Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming which unfortunately do not have the performance enhancements you get with the Asus Crosshair VII Hero, so my overclocked stayed and I was happy that I was sitting with 4.216ghz using only 1.268vcore. SOC etc I've manually set to the stock 1.05v and all seemed good. SO this morning I decided I wanted to see what the cpu can do when I load default bios settings and change the performance enhancement from Auto to 1 or 2 as 3 did not work before. But I decided to give 3 a go to see what I get. I was amazed when I ran Stilt's CPO test - see first screenshot below.

Performance enhancer 3
CPU Speed 41.75 x 100 = 4160mhz all cores
Hwbot Vcore: 1.28v
Cpuz Vcore: 1.21v which is the closest to actual reading with a multimeter

I then went on to try out performance enhancer 4. Now understand this, I have clocked my cpu up to 4.36ghz using 1.45vcore and I was able to do so with even less vcore for running benchmarks, more so when I was using the X370 board. With this board I'm able to run the cpu at 4.3ghz using only 1.4vcore set in bios with LLC set to 5. But this is what I got from performance enhancer 4.

CPU Speed 43 x 100 = 4.29ghz
Hwbot vcore: 1.369v
CPUz Vcore: 1.352v
Actual reading with multimeter in picture below: 1.32vcore
You need to do the test this way else is kinda pointless:
- Admin rights
- R7 2700X only *
- SMT needs to be enabled *
- Performance Enhancer = Default
- Stock configuration only (fixed / offset voltage and load-line adjustments disallowed) *
- No other monitoring app running simultaneously (e.g. AiTweaker, CPU-Z, HWInfo, AIDA, etc)
- System needs to be at IDLE
- Windows "Balanced" Power Plan (NOT "Ryzen Balanced")

as Vcore reading goes, my reading with multimeter were off by 0.003V

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
You need to do the test this way else is kinda pointless:
- Admin rights
- R7 2700X only *
- SMT needs to be enabled *
- Performance Enhancer = Default
- Stock configuration only (fixed / offset voltage and load-line adjustments disallowed) *
- No other monitoring app running simultaneously (e.g. AiTweaker, CPU-Z, HWInfo, AIDA, etc)
- System needs to be at IDLE
- Windows "Balanced" Power Plan (NOT "Ryzen Balanced")

as Vcore reading goes, my reading with multimeter were off by 0.003V
My good sir.... trust me, I have done all of the above and results posted before. This was plain and simple a test to see what it can do. And 4.29ghz stable at 1.32vcore is pretty good Ill say.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

721 - 740 of 12850 Posts