Overclock.net banner

12401 - 12420 of 12865 Posts

·
Computer Enthusiast
2,904 Posts
This is my perf with FMax/PBO - no PE or anything else except memory at 3733MTs. I'm really impressed and have to experiment more, but this is how things should have worked at launch of Ryzen 3xxx.

Sadly, the memory/sleep bug has returned - I don't know how because I only use hybrid sleep which didn't used to be affected - but it is now. :(

·
Tech Enthusiast
1,544 Posts
This is my perf with FMax/PBO - no PE or anything else except memory at 3733MTs. I'm really impressed and have to experiment more, but this is how things should have worked at launch of Ryzen 3xxx.

Sadly, the memory/sleep bug has returned - I don't know how because I only use hybrid sleep which didn't used to be affected - but it is now. :(

View attachment 2467235
Nice! I should have tested my system on my 3950x after the flash. I only booted to confirm it worked and to transfer the BIOS Settings TXT File to my Phone. But now I wish I would have taken a few minutes to see if Multi Threaded PBO Actually Worked with the FMax turned on, I had not done any of that testing since we had that ability.

I was too excited to get my 5900x in. I still don't like dropping from 16 Cores with my 3950x to 12 Cores with my 5900x, but, this single core Improvement is HUGE! Right now I have a lot going on in my Windows Build. I normally run a highly optimized version of Windows 10, but because I have been working on a crap ton of projects lately I haven't had the time to clean it back up since installing a bunch of new Software, so its gone to being pretty bloated again, and just before my upgrade I did run a CB R20 & CB R15 Test to get my Single and Multi Core Scores. I am stupid and didn't get a screenshot before, but did document them.

For Single Core on my 3950x running on Auto, I got 510 in CB R20 (Which is one of the highest scores I have received personally for a SC Score, I know most people saw higher, but I never did. And then for MC in CB R20 I got 9939. (I typically run a Per CCX OC, and with that I usually average around 10,300 to 10,400, with 10,469 being my personal best, but I wanted to compare auto to auto.) Only changes in BIOS are Memory manually set to 3600 CL16, with Timings, Secondary, and Tertiary all set manually. Performance enhancer set to Default, no Bias, PBO Set to Auto and on the 5900x FMax turned on, and thats it.

Now with the 5900x, of course my Multi Core score is lower due to losing 4 cores, but I was quite pleased with the Single Core Score, especially considering I am yet to mess with anything yet. I did get screen shots of those:

What really Amazes me are Temps. On my 3950x and 3900x, even running CBR20 with a Room Temp of 25c Would Get me into the low 80s easy, even on Auto. In Fact with my Per CCX OC's My Temps were often lower because I would use much lower Voltage than Auto Would, but at best I was seeing about 79c after a 10 Minute back to back CB R20 Run. I just did the same Run, using the same exact Optimus Block, the only difference being that I now have a 5900x installed, and I switched from using Kryonaut paste to Kingpin Paste, and my Room Temp is actually 2c Higher than in my previous examples, during these tests it was sitting at between 26.6c and 27.5c. And During a 10 Minute back to back CB R20 MC Run I topped out at 68c! That is incredible to me, especially considering it appears to be using voltages close to what I was using Manually with my Per CCX Run. The Amps appear to be about 8amps less or so, which I am sure accounts for a lot of the temp difference, but a 10c Temp Difference is more than I would expect for only a few amps less power draw at about the same voltage.

Anyways, I am just barely getting starting with testing. This is just what I have noticed first.

Anyone else noticing temp reductions from their move from the 3000 series to the 5000 series?

·
Registered
84 Posts
i noticed if i activate Fmax with PBO on auto i get all cores reaching 4.55GHz whereas if i apply manual PBO numbers i see a few cores frequently hitting up to 4.65 and 2 cores are now limitted to 4.5.
i dont see any performance improvement though

·
Registered
758 Posts
4007 is not downloadable yet, let's hope it will be soon. I have 5809 already running on my Prime Pro.

Regarding bios 4001, Fmax causes instability with 5900X, sudden blackscreens etc the only thing it does is "paper-boost" three cores to 5150MHz. And PBO actually tanks performance.

Best performance in all benchmarks/games with Zen 3 is from running everything on Auto except those few settings needed to get a high memory OC. Only VDDG/VDDP/VTT/SOC and the old VBOOT DRAM is needed to be adjusted to get high speed on memory. On Auto frequencies are lower, but performance is clearly better. Still boosts to 5075MHz on two cores though, even in 3DMark and games.

Oh, and Zen 3 doesn't like Global C-states, that should be on Auto as well like most settings.

edit. forgot to mention Curve Optimizer, yes it can boost multi but tanks single, not running any offset is best performance here too

edit 2. B550/X570 have got a bunch of Betas today:
[Übersicht] - Ultimative AM4 UEFI/BIOS/AGESA Übersicht (07.12.20) | Hardwareluxx

Some of my "Auto" scores:

·
Registered
19 Posts
anyone still rocking a 1800x with this board ? does it make sense to upgrade bios to 4001 ??

·
Registered
169 Posts
Guys I got my 5600x today but my temps are kinda bad. 45-50 at idle, 70c during gaming? wut? All on auto + Arctic Liquid II 240. Are they normal for 5k?

·
Registered
758 Posts
Guys I got my 5600x today but my temps are kinda bad. 45-50 at idle, 70c during gaming? wut? All on auto + Arctic Liquid II 240. Are they normal for 5k?
Run Cinebench R23(multi) and check temps, it will never be warmer in gaming. If it is below 80C it is acceptable.

Idle temps are of no interest as they don't strain the hardware, it is only load that is interesting. Absolute max for 5000 that is harmless is 90C.

·
Registered
758 Posts
anyone still rocking a 1800x with this board ? does it make sense to upgrade bios to 4001 ??
Agesa 1.1.8.0 made my 3900X run better than ever on B550-F

·
Registered
3 Posts
So i got my 5600x and flashed new bios, all went smooth but overclocking or rather getting better scores seemed more difficult.
It is hard to beat the stock auto settings. PBO / FMAX hurt performance.
PBO2 with +200 gave 4.8ghz boost instead of 4.6ghz but scores went down.
Only curve optimizer gave better scores in some regards , I might have to tweak it more.
Any of you have more success? Any Bios settings im missing out on?
Below my benches in R20 single and multi

Stock ( all auto ) S: 581 - M: 4242
Memory tune safe S: 590 - M: 4339
PBO enabled, FMAX enabled S: 558 - M: 4128
PBO2 +200 S: 590 - M: 4298
Curve optimization ( -10 all cores ) S: 583 - M: 4400

·
Registered
758 Posts
So i got my 5600x and flashed new bios, all went smooth but overclocking or rather getting better scores seemed more difficult.
It is hard to beat the stock auto settings. PBO / FMAX hurt performance.
PBO2 with +200 gave 4.8ghz boost instead of 4.6ghz but scores went down.
Only curve optimizer gave better scores in some regards , I might have to tweak it more.
Any of you have more success? Any Bios settings im missing out on?
Below my benches in R20 single and multi

Stock ( all auto ) S: 581 - M: 4242
Memory tune safe S: 590 - M: 4339
PBO enabled, FMAX enabled S: 558 - M: 4128
PBO2 +200 S: 590 - M: 4298
Curve optimization ( -10 all cores ) S: 583 - M: 4400
You're correct, Ryzen 5000 performs the best with stock settings. Just tweak the necessary to run high speed memory. VDDP, VDDG, VTT, SOC are pretty much the only settings needed to tweak.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Thanks, downloaded, will check tonight!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Thank, downloaded and flashed. Everything works great! (besides the fan control, its still broken after so long lol).

Anyway I fixed my temps. I just put -10 offset in the curve optimizer. Now my 5600x is 40c idle and 60-62 during gaming (with pbo and fmax enabled). Boosts nice to 4875 and stays there, all cores.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Bios 4007 looks good, I bettered some scores, it doesn't boost as aggressive in HWINFO64 but performance seems the best for 5000-series so far. I run most things on Auto, but have Auto PBO on with 200MHz override and Motherboard limits active(recommended by AMD). Looks great so far.

Regarding fans, I got my fans to behave the best if I skip F6 Fan tuning and only set Q-Fan at the bottom of the monitor page. CPU fan with zero ramp and 400rpm minimum, all other fans at Silent, 2.6s delay and 200rpm minimum. Gives a very comfortable sound profile.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I just use Argus Monitor at this point. The ASUS problem with the fans being limited to 60% is terrible.

·
Registered
84 Posts
i had to go and get myself a 5600X for the fun of it, i wont even admit how much i really paid for it...
im happy with how its boosting, this is only PBO enabled+ auto OC with very little time spent on it yet but i cant seem to get 1900IF stable atm, if anyone has any advise pls let me know, i went 1.125V soc and i left the rest on auto. with 1900IF it seems to be posting on windows for about 10 secs before it crashes to black screen.

12401 - 12420 of 12865 Posts