Overclock.net banner

12681 - 12700 of 12851 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
For what it's worth I've had a similar issue with my 3700x that only started recently. I tried rolling back to 4007 and I'm waiting to see if that fixed it. Already ruled out Fmax, resizable bar, and RAM.
For what it's worth, I run my Ryzen 3000:s using positive offset for vcore on these new AGESA 1.2.0.0 bioses. They seem to starve the CPU a little, which is a recipe for sudden reboot.

·
Registered
65 Posts
From my experience, too much Curve Optimizer as good as always is a guarantee for sudden reboots. As a lot of CO seems popular here, I suppose a lot of sudden reboots are also common.
Mind you, the benchmarks run, no crashes. It's just the sudden reboots. Only way AFAIK to get rid of it is to be very conservative with CO and say no to benchmark records.

Also Fmax enabled is VERY unstable. Do not use it.

Ryzen 3000 is much more robust, only trigger for sudden reboots I've encountered is above Fmax enabled. Do not use it.
You will laugh but i use neither of that, i use my rockstable 1.268v settings, with bios 4007 everything was fine, i even upped VDDG CCD and VDDG IOD from previously stable 0.95v to 1v and SOC from 1.05v to 1.1v, subjectively it helped a bit but could be placebo. I don't even know where CO is located cause i never checked tbh, and i disabled PBO and Fmax, even Performance Enhancer is on default, but like you say it's pretty random and more in low load/idle situations, hell i even stress tested AVX2 for about 1hr without any problems with OCCT so i hope this bios remedies the issue.

For what it's worth I've had a similar issue with my 3700x that only started recently. I tried rolling back to 4007 and I'm waiting to see if that fixed it. Already ruled out Fmax, resizable bar, and RAM.
Yep gonna see, but gonna get my 5900x this week so i'm gonna see what happens or 4007 it is.

·
Registered
746 Posts
You will laugh but i use neither of that, i use my rockstable 1.268v settings, with bios 4007 everything was fine, i even upped VDDG CCD and VDDG IOD from previously stable 0.95v to 1v and SOC from 1.05v to 1.1v, subjectively it helped a bit but could be placebo. I don't even know where CO is located cause i never checked tbh, and i disabled PBO and Fmax, even Performance Enhancer is on default, but like you say it's pretty random and more in low load/idle situations, hell i even stress tested AVX2 for about 1hr without any problems with OCCT so i hope this bios remedies the issue.

Yep gonna see, but gonna get my 5900x this week so i'm gonna see what happens or 4007 it is.
Then I would say you use too low vcore, nearly same things happens as with too much CO. I see you use 1.268V, I used 1.33V on my 3900X when I was using per CCD OC 4425/4425/4200/4200. It never crashed and never had a reboot for several months, I even folded on it for 11 weeks 24/7. I use it in my B550-F now and it doesn't seem to have degraded at all, performs as good as always but I use PBO with Auto and positive offset on it now.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The only difference i noticed according to HWinfo64 is that the c-states seem to go lower now or voltage is getting lower in general, beforehand aka bios 4007 lowest voltage was about 0.9v now it's 0.2-0.3v at times but even some stock ryzen 5xxx suffers from that issue what i gathered from hwluxx.de so i still hope it's gone with the newest bios (AGESA 1.2.0.0) and gonna try stock voltage with stock boost behaviour for at least this week.

·
Registered
746 Posts
The only difference i noticed according to HWinfo64 is that the c-states seem to go lower now or voltage is getting lower in general, beforehand aka bios 4007 lowest voltage was about 0.9v now it's 0.2-0.3v at times but even some stock ryzen 5xxx suffers from that issue what i gathered from hwluxx.de so i still hope it's gone with the newest bios (AGESA 1.2.0.0) and gonna try stock voltage with stock boost behaviour for at least this week.
Interesting, I saw this 200mV thing for the first time today on my X470-Prime Pro. Hasn't happened before on any of my boards. The Prime Pro has the newest bios though, 5833 is of today and with the latest 1.2.0.0. My X570 and B550 also runs 1.2.0.0 but a few days older versions, no 200mV on them. No WHEA or reboot yet on the Prime Pro, but boost is improved for the 3700X I use on it. These are some nice numbers for a 3700X below.

edit. I double checked with my X570, it has been on for 10 hours straight and the lowest VID is 950mV and lowest actual vcore is 1.019V. So not the same behavior. Bios is 3202 from four days ago. And it is stable.

3700X boost:

·
Registered
746 Posts
ok i haven't tried curve optimizer or any other offset option on this board

quick question can you run it along with pbo??
Curve Optimizer is a part of PBO2, so yes you run it with PBO

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dude, I really wanna help you out because I had the same problem and it took ages for me to fix..

1. don't use fmax enhancer it will just clock stretch to infinity in my experience, set it to disabled
2. go to digi plus power control and set switching frequency for cpu, soc etc. to manual and set the maximum possible value, so 500mhz or so i think.
3. set Cpu vcore LLC to level 1 you want this because you want high voltage when the load is low (singlecore or 4 core load etc.) to get high frequency and to get a high droop (lower voltage) when there is a big multi core load on the cpu.
4. set stable ram settings so 3600c18 or so don't know if you have b-die chips. we only want to test cpu at first to make sure this one thing is stable.
5. I personally have cppc and cppc cores as well as power supply low idle current and c-states enabled so I would suggest that but it's more of a preference topic, but as a german I need my things to be efficient xD
6. set Vcore to auto
7. now you have 2 or 3 different pbo's hidden in the bios which is sad because it's just confusing the *** out of people. Set the pbo in the main menu where your vcore etc. is to auto i think but maybe I have it disabled, am not at pc right now sry.
8. go to advanced/amd overclocking where the curve is and set to manual limits.
  • Set these to 200/200/200 for the first trial.
  • maximum boost clock override frequency to 0
  • scalar to auto
  • finally set curve allcore to negative 30 when it booted before if not, try it and if it doesn't boot just lower by 5 until it boots.
9. open cpuz and do a quick benchmark of multi and single (score should be around 660-710 single core now and multi core should be 13200-13900
10. if you want maximum cpuz singlecore to tell your friends how sick of an oc dude you are, go to hwinfo64 and look at what core has the number #1 out of all of your cores attached to it, set the curve for this core to negative 30, max boost clock to 200, open cpuz, set threads to 1, enable flight mode in windows, open task Manager, go to details, rightclick cpuz and set to high priority, rightclick cpuz in task manager and open core allocation menu, click all cores once so all checkmarks are gone then set the one best core you set to -30 in bios. remember core 4 in hwinfo should be core 8 if it starts at core 0 in task manager because you have hyper threading cores inbetween the normal cores. Now, dont click on ok ans close the menu just yet, run the 1 thread benchmark so just around 1 second is left in the bench and then press ok and close task manager so you have as little things runningas possible. let bench run and Score should be around 700-720 for 1 core
That's looking better! Multi is still a little under your estimate.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone has suggestions for RAM OC with different chips? I have two different kits of CMW16GX4M2C3600C18 (DOCP is 3600 MHz, C18-19-19-39). However, they're two kits of 16GB that were purchased in different times (2 years apart) and, despite all the 4 sticks being the same part number, only 2 of them are B-Die, the other 2 are Micron E-die. I've tried a mish mash of Ryzen DRAM Calc timings, trying to use Safe preset and the slowest timing between the two suggested settings, but either I get instant failure or weird stability issues (especially after some time of particular gaming loads - e.g. Forza Horizon 4). So, it's 2 kits of 16GB (2 x 8GB), which in total is 32GB (4 x 8GB) - same part number, different chip manufacturers. Basically I'd like to know if I can lower my timings without losing stability while using these two "different" kits.

Right now I'm running 3600MHz 18-19-19-19-39 @ 1.35V SET with beta BIOS 4201. Here's a screenshot:

View attachment 2474676

Thanks!
Good timings would be minimal due to different chips.
BTW Corsair ver number in sticker differs the chips.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So i have C7H running 3900x, 32GB 3600CL16 RAM, with latest BIOSes i (AGESA 1.1.9.0+ ) ASUS managed to get my CPU performance to desired level (~7500 on CB R20, with Fmax and PBO, no CO), but one thing i can't get up un running is FLCK above 1800Mhz. I have tried auto timings, loose timings, strict timings, "Actual HW overclocking" suggested voltages that always get RAM to 3800Mhz (and 1900MHz FLCK) , in short it always end up with the same best result - System is rock stable for 8 to 12h, and then my USBs start flapping (keyboard, mouse, headphones all of them run through monitor USB hub) Happens with 1833, 1866 and 1900 FLCK. But default D.O.C.P RAM 3600/ FLCK 1800 is rock stable.

I done some reading here, the latest theory was that it is some sleep state issue, that suppose to be fixed in latest beta BIOSes, but had no effect for me.
Also in some other boards people speculated that BCLK Spread spectrum need to be enabled to fix USB issues, but as we all know- there is no such option in C7H BIOSes.

Does anyone has any ideas?

·
Registered
39 Posts
That's looking better! Multi is still a little under your estimate.

View attachment 2474748
Mhh, that is actually a little strange, what cooler are you using and what was the final curve optimizer number you were able to get? Also did you dial in ram at 3600 or 3800 yet? also what windows version are you using?

Would also be good to get a screenshot of all the Things that are running in the backgroundor at least in task manager what's in the autostart tab... steam, discord, epic launcher and all that can severely influence performance

·
Registered
132 Posts
Also in some other boards people speculated that BCLK Spread spectrum need to be enabled to fix USB issues, but as we all know- there is no such option in C7H BIOSes.
As I mentioned couple of pages ago, enabling SVM (which toggles Spread Spectrum I think) helps me to get 3800/1900, while I can't even get stable 3733/1866 with it disabled :D
So you should try

·
Registered
93 Posts
Started experiencing cache hierarchy WHEA errors on 4007 after tweaking CO/PBO settings. It seemed to run fine with CO at -20 and then after a couple days I got the WHEA reboot about once a day at idle. Turned off PBO completely and also got a couple but PBO off also gave me better CB20 benchmarks scores. I have gone back to completely stock CPU settings (PBO set to auto) to see if that stops them. Memory settings are tuned for my kit(s) of bdie, but not sure why CO was causing WHEA errors, and more so confused why PBO off also caused them. Chalking it up to bios issues that still need to be ironed out but I may try 4202 in the next couple days.

·
Registered
8 Posts
As I mentioned couple of pages ago, enabling SVM (which toggles Spread Spectrum I think) helps me to get 3800/1900, while I can't even get stable 3733/1866 with it disabled :D
So you should try
Thanks, i will test, but BCLK is still rock solid 100.0 even after i enabled SVM, so i'm skeptical.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Started experiencing cache hierarchy WHEA errors on 4007 after tweaking CO/PBO settings. It seemed to run fine with CO at -20 and then after a couple days I got the WHEA reboot about once a day at idle. Turned off PBO completely and also got a couple but PBO off also gave me better CB20 benchmarks scores. I have gone back to completely stock CPU settings (PBO set to auto) to see if that stops them. Memory settings are tuned for my kit(s) of bdie, but not sure why CO was causing WHEA errors, and more so confused why PBO off also caused them. Chalking it up to bios issues that still need to be ironed out but I may try 4202 in the next couple days.
I've found I have two bad cores, they have what it takes to kill CO while they work at stock. I isolated them with a much lower offset(-1) in CO than all the other cores, and now it looks stable. My bad cores are core 0 and core 1, which is a pity as CPUZ always runs core 0 for it's single benchmark. But, you better check if you have a couple of bad cores.

·
Overclocker
6,975 Posts
So you should try
How is that possible? SVM is for virtualization only so how can it help overclocking? That is very weird.

·
Registered
132 Posts
How is that possible? SVM is for virtualization only so how can it help overclocking? That is very weird.
Yeah, that is weird.
I was using Hyper-V (so had SVM enabled), and running 3800/1900 just fine.
Then I wanted to do some benchmarks, and disabled SVM (that was the only change I made in the bios) - the system didn't even POST. I was only able to boot at 3666/1833 with it disabled, leaving other settings as before.
The most obvious reason for me is spread spectrum - SVM=on makes spread spectrum=on, so MEM/IF are a bit lower.
Thats it, I guess

·
Overclocker
6,975 Posts
Yeah, that is weird.
I was using Hyper-V (so had SVM enabled), and running 3800/1900 just fine.
Then I wanted to do some benchmarks, and disabled SVM (that was the only change I made in the bios) - the system didn't even POST. I was only able to boot at 3666/1833 with it disabled, leaving other settings as before.
The most obvious reason for me is spread spectrum - SVM=on makes spread spectrum=on, so MEM/IF are a bit lower.
Thats it, I guess
Ye, i call bs on the SVM part in order to get higher clocks. It just has nothing to do with each other whatsoever.

I tried yesterday to get 3800/1900 stable but anything above 1900 is not stable... Its hardcoded to not allow them to run higher than 1800 it seems because anything higher results in weird issues and instabilities. Im gonna try again to day with different settings but i have no high hopes.

Im running 4.450 GHz CPU and 3600 CL16 RAM so i can't complain but more is more :p

·
Registered
746 Posts
Its hardcoded to not allow them to run higher than 1800 it seems because anything higher results in weird issues and instabilities. :p
No, I run FCLK 1900 on 5900X, 3900X and 3700X on three different motherboards. It works well, just takes some tinkering. However, one has to be lucky, some CPUs doesn't have the I/O die for it. It's not hardcoded, it's luck of the draw.

12681 - 12700 of 12851 Posts