Overclock.net banner

12721 - 12726 of 12726 Posts

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Just some heads up... Using 4202 with a 3800X, latest Windows version with all updates available applied (v. 19042.746 - 20H2). Last night I ran MemTestPro and left it running til this morning (it reached around 500% on all 16 threads). However, when I came back to the PC, there was a USB Device error. It's probably related to the Corsair Commander Pro I'm using, since the RGB lights were turned off at night but in the morning they were all lit up again without any interference. Basically the Commander Pro reset. There were no RAM errors (0 found) but there was this USB bug. No WHEA errors tho'. After I restarted Windows, everything was back to normal with no USB errors. I'm not sure why, but it seems that stressing the RAM does throw some errors around other areas in the system, particularly if they are (probably) poorly programmed software (which if you didn't know, Corsair's definitely is). PB Overdrive is OFF (only using the Precision Boost stock functionality - Core Performance Boost). Everything is basically on Auto except the timings below and FCLK (which is coupled, 1800MHz)

View attachment 2475281
I've found USB devices disconnecting to be a symptom of too low SOC voltage.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I've found USB devices disconnecting to be a symptom of too low SOC voltage.
Could be, I have set SOC manual on all my AM4 boards. No USB issues. And I use USB gear on all, mice, keyboards, wireless, pro audio interfaces, musical keyboards, storage, USB switch etc

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just some heads up... Using 4202 with a 3800X, latest Windows version with all updates available applied (v. 19042.746 - 20H2). Last night I ran MemTestPro and left it running til this morning (it reached around 500% on all 16 threads). However, when I came back to the PC, there was a USB Device error. It's probably related to the Corsair Commander Pro I'm using, since the RGB lights were turned off at night but in the morning they were all lit up again without any interference. Basically the Commander Pro reset. There were no RAM errors (0 found) but there was this USB bug. No WHEA errors tho'. After I restarted Windows, everything was back to normal with no USB errors. I'm not sure why, but it seems that stressing the RAM does throw some errors around other areas in the system, particularly if they are (probably) poorly programmed software (which if you didn't know, Corsair's definitely is). PB Overdrive is OFF (only using the Precision Boost stock functionality - Core Performance Boost). Everything is basically on Auto except the timings below and FCLK (which is coupled, 1800MHz)

View attachment 2475281
Not much reason to run anything beyond 3103 for Zen 2 chips. Even 4007 which I'm running on my 5900x introduced some weird behavior and errors with my 3900x which had been completely stable on 3103 and some older versions. Save yourself the trouble until another non-beta bios is out and/or it's been tested to even be stable for Zen 3.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Worth mentioning again, that for Zen2 there seem to have been no USB errors before the Zen3 beta bioses started to appear and people started to use them. Those who have issues have it with both Zen2 and Zen3. AGESA is still wonky for sure, even if creative settings may improve/remove the problem.

AND I hope AMD is working day and night to patch the AGESA for implementing a safeguard against sudden blackscreen/sudden reboot. It's super annoying for a lot of users. This one only affects Zen3 though, Zen2 seems unaffected.

BTW, if AMD doesn't fix this WHEA/sudden reboot problem, in effect they will loose all professional/semi professional users who simply can't have it. Very bad play in that case.

It's almost like it's an Intel employee writing the AGESA:s ....

·
Registered
26 Posts
i have no experience with zen 2 as i jumped from a zen 1+ to zen 3. my 2600 had no issues with usb or not, but the 4007 did make my ram a bit unstable ...

on 5950x i got no issues for now

·
Registered
664 Posts
i have no experience with zen 2 as i jumped from a zen 1+ to zen 3. my 2600 had no issues with usb or not, but the 4007 did make my ram a bit unstable ...

on 5950x i got no issues for now
AFAIK there was NO USB issues before the V2 bioses, neither on Zen+ nor Zen2. As I said, my USB works fine with the latest 1.2.0.0 bioses on Zen+, Zen2 and Zen3. But I too had them briefly on my B550-F with the first V2 bioses. USB audio interface was impossible to use.

But WHEA and sudden reboot is still a reality for Zen3 and requires extensive tweaking to minimize/remove. NO such issues on Zen+ and Zen2.

12721 - 12726 of 12726 Posts