Overclock.net banner
13141 - 13160 of 13284 Posts

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Nope,

I tried to flash back from 4402 mto 2606 BIOS but its not possible for me.

I tried several USB sticks but the BIOS keeps saying that the 2606 BIOS is not an proper BIOS and won't let me flash it.

What can i do in order to flash the 2606 BIOS again?
I'd try another AGESA between those two versions. You may have to step down several times.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Found new and probably final daily settings, absolutely satisfied with my 5950x "bronze" sample (lol CTR lol) :p

Once I figured out that EDC is inversely proportional to how opportunistic boosting is, balanced the EDC value (182) vs +clock override speed (+75), CO values (mostly -29, a few -18, two -11 on prime cores), and added 101 Bclk in with Bclk override feature in Tweakers Paradise enabled, it all came together :p Minimizing the SOC power picked up a good chunk of points, reducing it from 20w at idle down to 13w or so by starting with VDDG (both), and VDDP at 0.9v, SOC at 1.0v with LLC1, then slowly raised VDDP and SOC until they are where they are now, and eliminated all WHEA errors.

16000% Karhu stable
24 hours core cycler stable both SSE and AVX
Many blender, Lychee Slicer, Mesh Mixer and other nT heavy tasks without issue
multiple (8+ hr) days playing various games with not a single crash
sits idle doing windows spy telemetry at low power overnight, daily without any random reboots

Photograph Font Screenshot Science Event
Font Screenshot Software Electronic device Multimedia

I truly don't see the point in static overclocks on the 5950x beyond very limited edge cases and along with that, I don't see the point in DCO on the C8DH, wouldn't get me anything more than well tuned CO does.

·
Registered
40 Posts
guys...pls HELP
the board just dont want to boot anymore. yesterday i had a hole day gaming bukake without any issues

today i felt like tweaking RAM a bit more. so the ONLY thing i changed was one timing (tRFC from 252 to 232). ok after Q-code limbo it stuck at A2...no biggie happened thousend of times before...clear cmos and back to last working setting.

well no boot...ok loading defaults...no boot. Tried loading defaults a few times and eventually got tsee the qcode 8 (NOT 08). so i couldnt even get into the bios after cmos reset. ***. unplugged power cable for a while

turned pc on again...ok i can get into the bios again. loading deafults (or one of my working profiles) wont fkn work

POST screen also says "your system may not be fully stable" Press F1 to run setup. ALso when im in the UEFI, the mouse cursor is laggy as hell...never encountered that behaviour before.

have i bricked my board somehow? im kinda lost atm

update: post screens says "CPU Over Voltage Error"
update: ok after this i tried defaults again and somehow got into windows again...*** is going on here?

·
Registered
1,264 Posts

·
Overclocker
7,058 Posts
guys...pls HELP
the board just dont want to boot anymore. yesterday i had a hole day gaming bukake without any issues

today i felt like tweaking RAM a bit more. so the ONLY thing i changed was one timing (tRFC from 252 to 232). ok after Q-code limbo it stuck at A2...no biggie happened thousend of times before...clear cmos and back to last working setting.

well no boot...ok loading defaults...no boot. Tried loading defaults a few times and eventually got tsee the qcode 8 (NOT 08). so i couldnt even get into the bios after cmos reset. ***. unplugged power cable for a while

turned pc on again...ok i can get into the bios again. loading deafults (or one of my working profiles) wont fkn work

POST screen also says "your system may not be fully stable" Press F1 to run setup. ALso when im in the UEFI, the mouse cursor is laggy as hell...never encountered that behaviour before.

have i bricked my board somehow? im kinda lost atm

update: post screens says "CPU Over Voltage Error"
update: ok after this i tried defaults again and somehow got into windows again...*** is going on here?
You are on the latest BIOS i assume? 4402?

·
Registered
40 Posts
You are on the latest BIOS i assume? 4402?
no still the prior (4301 i guess). like i said. i didnt change anything other then tried the tRFC 232 and the trouble begun.

is it possible to damage RAM? i never went beyond 1,55v(b-dies) thus only for a quick bench. mostly i stayed between 1,45-1,5v

·
Registered
40 Posts
OK...runs again. Had to remove the battery for a while.

any idea how and why everything happened and how to prevent it?

·
Overclocker
7,058 Posts
sounds like a common Ryzen issue to be honest. I can run setups stable for months and out of the blue without changing anything it becomes unstable or erratic behavior..

I think its in the poor BIOS coding like other people also said, especially in the newer BIOS. Im struggling again too coming from months of stable issue less pleasure to erratic behavior and endless trouble shooting..

I might do the battery trick too as im stuck on the new BIOS and cannot change to anything else...

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
OK...runs again. Had to remove the battery for a while.

any idea how and why everything happened and how to prevent it?
I've seen this a couple times when going extreme on RAM timings. For whatever reason some weird settings stick after a reset and is easily fixed with a BIOS re-flash.

Don't forget that you have a safe-boot button on the bottom of the mobo. Unless it's hard to get to in your case -- I'd recommend using it before resorting to clearing CMOS. It boots safe settings without changing your settings in the BIOS screens. So you can adjust only the problematic settings without losing the stable settings.

·
Registered
470 Posts
even with the new bios?
Newest bios is trash, rolled back to 4301. 4402 has major issues with FCLK and WHEA errors, anything over 1800/3200 on it throws a river of errors, no setting fixes it, but the same PC on 4301 or earlier.. no issues.

4402 is a non-update, 4301 will probably be the last update I do, aside from the inexplicable WHEA errors, AMD also neutered boosting, cutting 50-100mhz max effective clocks off single core boosts.

I remember this exact scenario occurring over time with the 3000 series too, AMD slowly and gradually neutered the chips via AGESA updates which "improved stability", not really explaining, they did so by cutting how aggressive the boosting behavior is.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Newest bios is trash, rolled back to 4301. 4402 has major issues with FCLK and WHEA errors, anything over 1800/3200 on it throws a river of errors, no setting fixes it, but the same PC on 4301 or earlier.. no issues.

4402 is a non-update, 4301 will probably be the last update I do, aside from the inexplicable WHEA errors, AMD also neutered boosting, cutting 50-100mhz max effective clocks off single core boosts.

I remember this exact scenario occurring over time with the 3000 series too, AMD slowly and gradually neutered the chips via AGESA updates which "improved stability", not really explaining, they did so by cutting how aggressive the boosting behavior is.
And thats why we rolled back to 2602 with @crakej i was not complainin g about that bios as much as the latest bioses that in my opinion suck for 3000 series cpu. MAybe full stock auto is better than ever but i dont use full auto never did..

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
sounds like a common Ryzen issue to be honest. I can run setups stable for months and out of the blue without changing anything it becomes unstable or erratic behavior..

I think its in the poor BIOS coding like other people also said, especially in the newer BIOS. Im struggling again too coming from months of stable issue less pleasure to erratic behavior and endless trouble shooting..

I might do the battery trick too as im stuck on the new BIOS and cannot change to anything else...
Nope Only Flashback from working mem stick will do that. Guess you dont hafe one working with this motherboard. Crosshair6 was more forgiving i had to buy 5 different ones before gotten ione working lol.

·
Computer Enthusiast
2,930 Posts
Only flashback and u need to go all manual all core overclocking ect. And get all voltages in to stable range Manually.
@crakej how long did it take You to stabilise system??
You mean on 2606? It took me ages to get it just right - months! I don't have time to re-tune right from the start, which is what newer bioses seem to want...

I seem to have good CPU performance here that I don't want to lose, as well as retaining PCIE4 for when I eventually get a decent GPU, and/or PCIE4 NVMe.

·
Overclocker
7,058 Posts
Nope Only Flashback from working mem stick will do that. Guess you dont hafe one working with this motherboard. Crosshair6 was more forgiving i had to buy 5 different ones before gotten ione working lol.
Damn man.. so i put it on my USB stick and flash via USB port on the back of the board? When im in BIOS and want to read from it it says that its not proper BIOS so im scared to brick my board.

As of now its an totally potato with this BIOS anyway.. I could run 4.4 GHz all core ez and now i get WHEA error at 4.350 GHz at the same voltages..

I might flash this BIOS again as there is clearly something wrong or try to get to 2801 as i play Destiny 2 and it has a patch in it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a 3700x and in the process overclocking I decided to bring up ROG cpu-z and seen something that I have a question about. I'm on 4402 but it says I have PCIE 4.0. From reading this thread I believe the last one to support 4.0 was 2606.

Now it says my graphics interface is 3.0 because I have a GTX 1070ti so i can't test it.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Yep, need 2206 to get PCIe 4.0

·
Registered
38 Posts
Found new and probably final daily settings, absolutely satisfied with my 5950x "bronze" sample (lol CTR lol) :p

Once I figured out that EDC is inversely proportional to how opportunistic boosting is, balanced the EDC value (182) vs +clock override speed (+75), CO values (mostly -29, a few -18, two -11 on prime cores), and added 101 Bclk in with Bclk override feature in Tweakers Paradise enabled, it all came together :p Minimizing the SOC power picked up a good chunk of points, reducing it from 20w at idle down to 13w or so by starting with VDDG (both), and VDDP at 0.9v, SOC at 1.0v with LLC1, then slowly raised VDDP and SOC until they are where they are now, and eliminated all WHEA errors.

16000% Karhu stable
24 hours core cycler stable both SSE and AVX
Many blender, Lychee Slicer, Mesh Mixer and other nT heavy tasks without issue
multiple (8+ hr) days playing various games with not a single crash
sits idle doing windows spy telemetry at low power overnight, daily without any random reboots

View attachment 2518172
View attachment 2518173

I truly don't see the point in static overclocks on the 5950x beyond very limited edge cases and along with that, I don't see the point in DCO on the C8DH, wouldn't get me anything more than well tuned CO does.
Good Job! 👏
What CPU Cooler do you use?

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I just bought a 3700x and in the process overclocking I decided to bring up ROG cpu-z and seen something that I have a question about. I'm on 4402 but it says I have PCIE 4.0. From reading this thread I believe the last one to support 4.0 was 2606.

Now it says my graphics interface is 3.0 because I have a GTX 1070ti so i can't test it.
View attachment 2518471
Mine says the same on BIOS 4402, but I also only have a 1070ti and my NVMe drive is only PCIE 3.0.

Rectangle Azure Font Screenshot Parallel

·
Registered
470 Posts
Good Job! 👏
What CPU Cooler do you use?
Optimus Foundation block
Conductonaut TIM
15c water temps usually, it's refrigerated, no radiators.

Can go much lower but I've still not bothered to build my chill box to defeat condensation, so yolo sub zero runs are limited in duration by water buildup.

I did play a little today, tested speed scaling from 20c water down to 1c, every single degree shows multicore score improvement, single core is basically binary, if it hits the limit and holds it there, temp is irrelevant, for me single core max is achieved by 19c water temps.

13141 - 13160 of 13284 Posts