Overclock.net banner
13161 - 13180 of 13273 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Mine says the same on BIOS 4402, but I also only have a 1070ti and my NVMe drive is only PCIE 3.0.

View attachment 2518514
The CPU and board remain PCIE 4 capable, but the enabled connections outside the CPU are throttled to 3 spec.

Similar to how the SB-E CPUs and boards were all 3.0, but gimped by Intel to 2.0. In this case there's no easy defeat of it since it's an AGESA limitation.

Check GPU-Z and look at PCIE interconnect speed.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
The CPU and board remain PCIE 4 capable, but the enabled connections outside the CPU are throttled to 3 spec.

Similar to how the SB-E CPUs and boards were all 3.0, but gimped by Intel to 2.0. In this case there's no easy defeat of it since it's an AGESA limitation.

Check GPU-Z and look at PCIE interconnect speed.
Ye AMD ****ed us over and took pcie4 out to lure upgrade im like ****.

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
GPUZ Shows
PCIe x16 4.0 @ x16 1.1
PCIe x16 4.0 = Device is a 4.0 capable device (3090)
@x16 = coupling mode
1.1 = current PCIe speed (it's at 1.1 because of power saving features, click the question mark next to it and let the little window run the render and you'll see it pick up to its' full speed)

Having been in PCs so long, I've learned long ago, latest and greatest is not necessary for 99% of users, wanted, yes, needed absolutely not. Hell, the C6E is the perfect example, had AMD not screwed us over and given zen 3 support, I'd still be using my C6E, C7 has never been able to match the results I can get on the C6E, it's flat out a better board and a damn shame because I know if I could throw a 5950 in it, I would demolish C8DH results :(

Very few people need 7000 capable NVME drives, for that matter very few even need 4000 that PCIe 3 provides. The new streaming content from UE5 is the only good argument I've seen, but even that only needs a decent PCIe 3 drive, according to UE engine developers.

GPUs once again, are way behind bandwidth available, even more so with the multi-GPU decline. 3090 and OC 6900xt at 1080 with e-sports being the only outliers, extreme fps scenarios actually do use more than 3.0 x16 provides, otherwise, it's all for naught. A plus side is you can shove a dual nvme card into the 2nd pcie 4x16 slot and have 3 nvme drives (2 card, 1 board) at 4.0 to the cpu without touching the chipset and ignore the 8x 4.0 on the gpu if you own anything aside from a 3090/6900xt or if you game at 2kUW or 4k, at high res it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
GPUZ Shows
PCIe x16 4.0 @ x16 1.1
PCIe x16 4.0 = Device is a 4.0 capable device (3090)
@x16 = coupling mode
1.1 = current PCIe speed (it's at 1.1 because of power saving features, click the question mark next to it and let the little window run the render and you'll see it pick up to its' full speed)

Having been in PCs so long, I've learned long ago, latest and greatest is not necessary for 99% of users, wanted, yes, needed absolutely not. Hell, the C6E is the perfect example, had AMD not screwed us over and given zen 3 support, I'd still be using my C6E, C7 has never been able to match the results I can get on the C6E, it's flat out a better board and a damn shame because I know if I could throw a 5950 in it, I would demolish C8DH results :(

Very few people need 7000 capable NVME drives, for that matter very few even need 4000 that PCIe 3 provides. The new streaming content from UE5 is the only good argument I've seen, but even that only needs a decent PCIe 3 drive, according to UE engine developers.

GPUs once again, are way behind bandwidth available, even more so with the multi-GPU decline. 3090 and OC 6900xt at 1080 with e-sports being the only outliers, extreme fps scenarios actually do use more than 3.0 x16 provides, otherwise, it's all for naught. A plus side is you can shove a dual nvme card into the 2nd pcie 4x16 slot and have 3 nvme drives (2 card, 1 board) at 4.0 to the cpu without touching the chipset and ignore the 8x 4.0 on the gpu if you own anything aside from a 3090/6900xt or if you game at 2kUW or 4k, at high res it doesn't matter.

Ah thanks, makes perfect sense now. Wish they would unlock the feature for current Bios revisions, ohwell I guess im happy with performance anyway.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hey there

1. has anyone made experiments with the ASUS performance biases (CB15 gentle, Aida/geekbench etc.)

i made some testing with aida/geekbench option and run some benchmarks collecting data with capFrameX. The frametimes in RDR2 improved
what exactly does these biases do and is it wise to use them or do they interfere with manual RAM tweakings?

2. atm i run CCX OC 4.7/4.6 GHZ with CPPC prefered cores disabled. Now the cores that gets to do the most work happens to be the ones on the second CCD(the slower one with 4.6ghz). Why is that and can i change that? CPPC enabled is not an option cuz it tanks performance in most games because windows dont spread the workloads evenly across the threads (especially COD warzone runs into cpu bottleneck with CPPC)

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Hey there

1. has anyone made experiments with the ASUS performance biases (CB15 gentle, Aida/geekbench etc.)

i made some testing with aida/geekbench option and run some benchmarks collecting data with capFrameX. The frametimes in RDR2 improved
what exactly does these biases do and is it wise to use them or do they interfere with manual RAM tweakings?

2. atm i run CCX OC 4.7/4.6 GHZ with CPPC prefered cores disabled. Now the cores that gets to do the most work happens to be the ones on the second CCD(the slower one with 4.6ghz). Why is that and can i change that? CPPC enabled is not an option cuz it tanks performance in most games because windows dont spread the workloads evenly across the threads (especially COD warzone runs into cpu bottleneck with CPPC)
Those Performance Bias settings are tweaks to the CPU cache.

I use CPPC without turning on CPPC Preferred cores. Though I haven't actually checked if it provides me any performance benefit.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Those Performance Bias settings are tweaks to the CPU cache.

I use CPPC without turning on CPPC Preferred cores. Though I haven't actually checked if it provides me any performance benefit.
ok i turn on CPPC and see if it makes a difference(leaving prefered cores off)

so the CPU cache thing...do i have to test it for stability in a specific way? i ran memtest and karhu, my ram tweaks are still stable with the bias.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
ok i turn on CPPC and see if it makes a difference(leaving prefered cores off)

so the CPU cache thing...do i have to test it for stability in a specific way? i ran memtest and karhu, my ram tweaks are still stable with the bias.
I don't know of any instance where Performance Bias impacted RAM stability. The only thing I can think of is a change ASUS made to Performance Bias that impacted Ryzen 2000 series CPUs a while back, but only CPU performance.

·
Overclocker
7,058 Posts
Im tried again but when i read the BIOS in the BIOS it keeps saying that its not an proper BIOS... I flashed many times with this USB stick so its not that, its just the board being an.....

Now im scared to brick my board when i flash it via flashback on the back of the board.. Should i do it or wait for newer BIOS instead?

·
Overclocker
7,058 Posts
Finally i managed to flash back to BIOS 3103! Its much much better than 4402 BIOS.

Lets hope for some better stability.

·
Overclocker
7,058 Posts
Nope, no stabilisatie at all... what the freck is going on...?!

CPU is dying, RAM or BIOS is faulty? Idk anymore.. plz help as im out of options.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Nope, no stabilisatie at all... what the freck is going on...?!

CPU is dying, RAM or BIOS is faulty? Idk anymore.. plz help as im out of options.
BIOS 3103 isn't stable anymore?

What are you seeing? BSOD? Restarts?

• Rep+
Reactions: hurricane28

·
Overclocker
7,058 Posts
BIOS 3103 isn't stable anymore?

What are you seeing? BSOD? Restarts?
I flashed back to 3103 and 3800 ram and 4.4 GHz CPU which was stable before but not anymore on any BIOS i tried so far..

I get WHEA errors after a short period of time and the system becomes unstable which begins with the cursor being erratic and laggy and than the whole system becomes unstable etc.

I mean, this RAM set is rated for 3600 MHz so you would think it wouldnt even break sweat of doing 3800 MHz as this is b-die..

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I flashed back to 3103 and 3800 ram and 4.4 GHz CPU which was stable before but not anymore on any BIOS i tried so far..

I get WHEA errors after a short period of time and the system becomes unstable which begins with the cursor being erratic and laggy and than the whole system becomes unstable etc.

I mean, this RAM set is rated for 3600 MHz so you would think it wouldnt even break sweat of doing 3800 MHz as this is b-die..
What is your SOC voltage?

• Rep+

·
Registered
2,366 Posts

And are you manually setting FCLK?

• Rep+

·
Overclocker
7,058 Posts
And are you manually setting FCLK?
Yes ofcos to 1900. Its stuck at 1800 so when i want to run ram at 3800 i need to manually set it.

Here are all my BIOS settings:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Yes ofcos to 1900. Its stuck at 1800 so when i want to run ram at 3800 i need to manually set it.

Here are all my BIOS settings:
What die type is your RAM?

• Rep+

·
Overclocker
7,058 Posts

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Samsung B-die. I dont buy anything else except the best i can get.

3600CL16 kit
I've never tried timings as loose as yours so I don't know if your RAM voltage is sufficient, but my initial impression is that it's low. Have your tried more DRAM voltage? Also, I'd set Proc ODT to Auto as well as the other Rtt settings. My Proc ODT on Auto is 36.9 so yours seems high at 60. My settings are for a 3900X though. What CPU are you running?

• Rep+
13161 - 13180 of 13273 Posts