Overclock.net banner

121 - 140 of 12691 Posts

·
Totally Tubular
1,508 Posts
Did anyone check if the C7H's VRM section emits less audible noise than the one on the C6H?
Had two C6H boards at launch; neither one made any noise at all. Wouldn't expect C7H to either.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Right, I'm up and running on my C7H - lots to learn! Running nice and smooth at stock...... Love all the new bios options!

I'm I right that SenseMi/Skew needs disabling? Is there anything else I need to know or do (other than update bios) before I go OCing my new board?

I did have a quick go at getting my 1700x to run at 4.2 GHz like it did on Prime x370 Pro, but seems to be a no-go....using the same settings anyway.

Too tired right now so going to do my OC from beginning tomorrow.... there's bound to be differences I need to take into account....
If you are able to manually overclock and get the cpu to downvolt pls inform me on how you did so. also you have the 1700x so i'm not sure it still applies but what are your temps spiking at if you were to use XFR. i attached a file of whats happening to my Vcore while its manually overclocked it won't downvolt.

Attachments

·
Registered
533 Posts
This a screenshot of me using Performance Enhancer 1. Spiking up to 1.494. More or less the same thing on auto.

Attachments

·
Registered
915 Posts
If you are able to manually overclock and get the cpu to downvolt pls inform me on how you did so. also you have the 1700x so i'm not sure it still applies but what are your temps spiking at if you were to use XFR. i attached a file of whats happening to my Vcore while its manually overclocked it won't downvolt.
Looks like your CPU is downvolting. See CPU Core VID, this should show if the CPU is downvolting or not. You should not expect correct reading of all sensor's data on earlier versions of motherboards and CPU, maybe on later and more refined BIOS versions.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Looks like your CPU is downvolting. See CPU Core VID, this should show if the CPU is downvolting or not. You should not expect correct reading of all sensor's data on earlier versions of motherboards and CPU, maybe on later and more refined BIOS versions.
Thanks for this reassurance thing is only the VID of those 2 cores drop all others stay the same guess i have to wait for further bios versions.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Just had this super weird issue where my pc just shut off completely. No warning or anything just shut down. So its happening whenever i don't run default settings in bios. even running Performance Enhancer 1 caused it to shut off without warning just shuts off like if it were unplugged Mobo lights stay on. not sure what can be the cause.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Network Enthusiast
4,793 Posts
Just had this super weird issue where my pc just shut off completely. No warning or anything just shut down. So its happening whenever i don't run default settings in bios. even running Performance Enhancer 1 caused it to shut off without warning just shuts off like if it were unplugged Mobo lights stay on. not sure what can be the cause.

Did you have to remove the power plug for the power button to work? That was what my issue was. Which MOBO do you have?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Did you have to remove the power plug for the power button to work? That was what my issue was. Which MOBO do you have?
i had to turn off the PSU for it to work not remove it. CH7 MOBO how did you fix it?

·
Network Enthusiast
4,793 Posts
i had to turn off the PSU for it to work not remove it. CH7 MOBO how did you fix it?
Turning off the PSU for some time worked as well(Had to wait about 10s for power to drain etc). I bought a new PSU, and i've been stable for 14 hours, but my issue was so sporadic i'm not sure that its fixed yet. Somtimes it would take 1 hour to pop up sometimes it took 17 hours. Happened stock, and OC'd. You were OCing right? What settings were you using?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Turning off the PSU for some time worked as well(Had to wait about 10s for power to drain etc). I bought a new PSU, and i've been stable for 14 hours, but my issue was so sporadic i'm not sure that its fixed yet. Somtimes it would take 1 hour to pop up sometimes it took 17 hours. Happened stock, and OC'd. You were OCing right? What settings were you using?

I was over locking when it happens it’s also sporadic I have an evga 850 fully modular but it’s not even a year old. It happens with a manual overclock to 4.12 and Under performance enhancer 1 which I don’t think should have caused it not quite sure what’s happened hopefully it’s not the psu if it happens again I’ll try to reseat cables if not rma time

·
Network Enthusiast
4,793 Posts
I was over locking when it happens it’s also sporadic I have an evga 850 fully modular but it’s not even a year old. It happens with a manual overclock to 4.12 and Under performance enhancer 1 which I don’t think should have caused it not quite sure what’s happened hopefully it’s not the psu if it happens again I’ll try to reseat cables if not rma time

Yeah, if my new PSU doesn't resolve this its RMA time.

·
Registered
533 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
So my pc powered off again with everything on Auto don't think its a bios issue. I have reseated PSU Cables VGA Sata i've reseated the ram and reseated the Psu connection to the mobo. if it happens again i imagin it's rma time. I have an evga 850 Gold fully modula to the mobo i have 1 whole cable connected for the 8pin and half of 1 cable connected for the 4 pin i assume this is okay?

·
Registered
533 Posts
After reseating the cable my pc **** off again no warning. Next step I’ll be doing is leaving it on with the bios screen if it doesn’t shut off I think I can rule out power supply and start looking at ram or sata connection

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
I added the latest BIOS 0601 for C7H/WIFI to the OP.

Thanks - I'm thinking of getting one of these as my Prime Pro really isn't great, never really been happy with it - others with my ram get much better OCing than me and the sound died on it about a month after I got it :(

Are you able to adjust the boost/XFR settings in bios?

@elmor are the different memory implementations between P x370 Pro and CH7 significant?

I'm not working with the Prime so wouldn't know. I believe it would be a similar change as from C6H, better optimized for using 2 DIMMs but worse for 4 DIMMs.

Seems only the WiFi model is available here at the moment, is BIOS development going to be the same with X470 as it was previously where the C6H was the main development board while the C6H WiFi and C6E got BIOS updates much less frequently?

Our primary development board is the C7H WIFI.

Not sure if anyone can help me out but I can’t seem to downvolt my cpu if I manually overclock it. I’ve tried just changing Pstate with auto voltage still doesn’t downvolt same story with offset voltage. And I’ve also tried 42 core ratio with offset no downvolting according to svi2

Make sure Advanced\AMD CBS\Zen Common Options\Global C-States Control is Enabled and that your OS power profile has a low enough value set for the minimum processor state.

Does anyone know if the PE level 3 is safe at those voltages? Getting 1.5+ spikes the temps are completely fine Tdie won’t go past 55C while gaming and stress test are around 70C but those spikes honestly trip me out on single cores it’s hovering at 1.45-1.55 @elmor insight would be great here

Check the SVI2 TFN Core Voltage reading in HWInfo. Up to at least 1.5V in low load scenarios (few threads used) should be ok.

That's disappointing if so, I'm pretty sure voltages get reported wrongly on the C6H and I'd hoped they would have fixed that on the C7H.

We've implemented several things to fix this. BIOS and AiSuite is already very accurate if you're on BIOS 0505 or later. Third party software does not have all the fixes yet.

Is anyone aware of the CH VII shutting down, and the power button won't turn it back on, you have to remove the power plug for a few seconds to allow it to turn back on. Wonder what could be causing that. Happened both with my 1700, and 2700X on different BIOS's

Any red LEDs lighting up on the board? Can you test it on BIOS 0601 I just uploaded?

·
Network Enthusiast
4,793 Posts
I added the latest BIOS 0601 for C7H/WIFI to the OP.

I'm not working with the Prime so wouldn't know. I believe it would be a similar change as from C6H, better optimized for using 2 DIMMs but worse for 4 DIMMs.

Our primary development board is the C7H WIFI.

Make sure Advanced\AMD CBS\Zen Common Options\Global C-States Control is Enabled and that your OS power profile has a low enough value set for the minimum processor state.

Check the SVI2 TFN Core Voltage reading in HWInfo. Up to at least 1.5V in low load scenarios (few threads used) should be ok.

We've implemented several things to fix this. BIOS and AiSuite is already very accurate if you're on BIOS 0505 or later. Third party software does not have all the fixes yet.

Any red LEDs lighting up on the board? Can you test it on BIOS 0601 I just uploaded?

Appreciate the support on the new BIOS. I ended up getting so frustrated i tore down my whole rig, everything. Put in my X370 prime, and my old 1700. Wouldn't complete booting. USB Over Current it said. Cycle through to unplugging all my USB devices, KB/Mouse/Kraken X52/ Front panel. Still says it. I think i have a ground on my case somewhere. I've got my board just sitting on my glass desk atm not touching anything, and not using the kraken either. Testing for stability now.

Aside from the crashes i was getting stuttering in wow, and driver crashes with my 1080 Ti.

NONE of this happened last week with EVERY part i have now except the Mobo CPU. I even experienced some system halts with the 1700 in the CH VII. So it has to be something contacting it IMO. I feel that if the board was that defective it wouldn't lock up the PSU so i had to unplug it to reboot.

If you have any input on where i should start i'd appreciate it. I already replaced the PSU.

·
Registered
10 Posts
@elmor @The Stilt

Can you guys provide a little bit more in-depth information about how exactly the new Performance Enhancer feature works? Some questions I have after reading the PDF:

- What's the difference between level 3 and level 4? (level 1 and 2 as well, for that matter)

- Balanced power plan, as in DEFAULT win 10 balanced, correct? I assume "Ryzen Balanced" is not a thing anymore?

- I assume voltage is handled automatically in this mode, and gives cores as much voltage as CPU requests?

- To continue previous question - looking at PDF the sample CPU boosted all the way to 4.5 GHz on a single core, I guess that required quite a lot of voltage? Definitely more than 1.4v which are considered "safe" among the community? Will it have any impact on the longevity of CPU, or not really, since for load of this kind current will not really be high enough, while voltage is pretty high?

If there are any specific tips you guys can give to start getting into this new kind of "overclocking" I'd really appreciate them. Thanks for another great board!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wow, the next one with this weird "sudden shutdown" issue.
I really hope ASUS will investigate.

·
Network Enthusiast
4,793 Posts
Wow, the next one with this weird "sudden shutdown" issue.
I really hope ASUS will investigate.
If you read my post above i think my issue was related to my Case/PSU. I was having all sorts of issues. I think my mobo was grounded in my case. Maybe not, but i'm testing now. I can update you tomorrow if you remind me.

·
Computer Enthusiast
2,898 Posts
So, anybody know what best settings are for SenseMi/Skew?

121 - 140 of 12691 Posts