Overclock.net banner

141 - 160 of 12401 Posts

·
Computer Enthusiast
2,887 Posts
Do I need to put my M.2 drive on M.2_1 to retain lane width of x16 for my gpu? I put it on the slot where the heatspreader was (M.2_2)

Does my RX580 need 16 lanes?

·
Computer Enthusiast
2,887 Posts
Thanks - both of them? Can you point me to anything about SenseMi - don't really know how these affect the board - must do some reading up!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone know if the x470 Crosshair VII Hero supports the EK monoblock meant for the X370 Crosshair VI Hero ? Looking to buy a VII but don't want to without the monoblock.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
@elmor @The Stilt

Can you guys provide a little bit more in-depth information about how exactly the new Performance Enhancer feature works? Some questions I have after reading the PDF:

- What's the difference between level 3 and level 4? (level 1 and 2 as well, for that matter)

- Balanced power plan, as in DEFAULT win 10 balanced, correct? I assume "Ryzen Balanced" is not a thing anymore?

- I assume voltage is handled automatically in this mode, and gives cores as much voltage as CPU requests?

- To continue previous question - looking at PDF the sample CPU boosted all the way to 4.5 GHz on a single core, I guess that required quite a lot of voltage? Definitely more than 1.4v which are considered "safe" among the community? Will it have any impact on the longevity of CPU, or not really, since for load of this kind current will not really be high enough, while voltage is pretty high?

If there are any specific tips you guys can give to start getting into this new kind of "overclocking" I'd really appreciate them. Thanks for another great board!
"To continue previous question - looking at PDF the sample CPU boosted all the way to 4.5 GHz on a single core, I guess that required quite a lot of voltage? Definitely more than 1.4v which are considered "safe" among the community"

U can go up to 1.425V by AMD. Personally, Im using 1.45V with AIO cooler long time at first gen Summit Ridge for all cores load. Keep in mind, the boost of XFR has by default (AMD) 1.55V at cores-you can easily check it with HWinfo sensoring. Its OK for load at 2 cores only via XFR/XFR2 boost.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
Appreciate the support on the new BIOS. I ended up getting so frustrated i tore down my whole rig, everything. Put in my X370 prime, and my old 1700. Wouldn't complete booting. USB Over Current it said. Cycle through to unplugging all my USB devices, KB/Mouse/Kraken X52/ Front panel. Still says it. I think i have a ground on my case somewhere. I've got my board just sitting on my glass desk atm not touching anything, and not using the kraken either. Testing for stability now.

Aside from the crashes i was getting stuttering in wow, and driver crashes with my 1080 Ti.

NONE of this happened last week with EVERY part i have now except the Mobo CPU. I even experienced some system halts with the 1700 in the CH VII. So it has to be something contacting it IMO. I feel that if the board was that defective it wouldn't lock up the PSU so i had to unplug it to reboot.

If you have any input on where i should start i'd appreciate it. I already replaced the PSU.
If you read my post above i think my issue was related to my Case/PSU. I was having all sorts of issues. I think my mobo was grounded in my case. Maybe not, but i'm testing now. I can update you tomorrow if you remind me.

Good idea to test everything outside the case first. Hopefully everything works well like that and you can start debugging by making a change at a time.

@elmor @The Stilt

Can you guys provide a little bit more in-depth information about how exactly the new Performance Enhancer feature works? Some questions I have after reading the PDF:

- What's the difference between level 3 and level 4? (level 1 and 2 as well, for that matter)

- Balanced power plan, as in DEFAULT win 10 balanced, correct? I assume "Ryzen Balanced" is not a thing anymore?

- I assume voltage is handled automatically in this mode, and gives cores as much voltage as CPU requests?

- To continue previous question - looking at PDF the sample CPU boosted all the way to 4.5 GHz on a single core, I guess that required quite a lot of voltage? Definitely more than 1.4v which are considered "safe" among the community? Will it have any impact on the longevity of CPU, or not really, since for load of this kind current will not really be high enough, while voltage is pretty high?

If there are any specific tips you guys can give to start getting into this new kind of "overclocking" I'd really appreciate them. Thanks for another great board!

1)

Level 1

PPT Limit = 1000W
TDC Limit = 1000A
EDC Limit = 150A
Customized Precision Overdrive (Scalar) = 10X

Level 2

PPT Limit = 1000W
TDC Limit = 1000A
EDC Limit = 1000A
Customized Precision Overdrive (Scalar) = 10X

Level 3 (OC)

Tweak from The Stilt which disables the power and current calculation, you might see the SMU calculated power/current in HWInfo showing 0 when using it.

Level 4 (OC)

The tweak from The Stilt + Level 2 XFR2 settings. I think Level 4 is way higher than most will be able to run, typically yielding something like 4.35G 1T and 4.30G nT frequency.

2) Yes, default Windows 10 balanced. The Ryzen Balanced profile has the minimum processor state set a bit too high for Level 3/4 to work properly.
3) Voltage requests are sent from the CPU just like at default, so this mode is best used with CPU Core Voltage = Offset mode
4) The settings are listed in there as well, +50mV offset to whatever the CPU requested and will depend on the specific CPU sample. IIRC on one of the chips I tested that resulted in 1.48V in 1T scenarios and 1.36V when fully loaded

Do I need to put my M.2 drive on M.2_1 to retain lane width of x16 for my gpu? I put it on the slot where the heatspreader was (M.2_2)

Does my RX580 need 16 lanes?

Yes. I believe you can move the heatspreader from M.2_2 to M.2_1.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/graphics-performance-myths-debunked,3739-3.html

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2488-pci-e-3-x8-vs-x16-performance-impact-on-gpus

·
Registered
530 Posts
I left my pc on overnight in the bios screen and no shutdown so it’s happening in windows only. Not sure if I can rule out psu yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Computer Enthusiast
2,887 Posts
My fans are not smooth on 0601 - they jump up and down - and my temp follow suit.....anyone else got this?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just had this super weird issue where my pc just shut off completely. No warning or anything just shut down. So its happening whenever i don't run default settings in bios. even running Performance Enhancer 1 caused it to shut off without warning just shuts off like if it were unplugged Mobo lights stay on. not sure what can be the cause.

The same thing started happening to me. I can reproduce it on bios 0509 by changing the fan profiles in AI Suite 3. If I switch to any of the fan profiles, my system shuts down. This is with system at stock, with the exception of RAM which is running at it's XMP profile - 3200 CL14.

Just updated to 0601 this morning. I'll give it another test later tonight to see if the problem remains.

·
Registered
530 Posts
The same thing started happening to me. I can reproduce it on bios 0509 by changing the fan profiles in AI Suite 3. If I switch to any of the fan profiles, my system shuts down. This is with system at stock, with the exception of RAM which is running at it's XMP profile - 3200 CL14.

Just updated to 0601 this morning. I'll give it another test later tonight to see if the problem remains.
Was it happening randomly and you found a way to reproduce it? or does it only happen with use of ai suite?Okay its starting to look like this may be a mobo issue. chances of it happening too 3 different ppl are really low although Stealths issue was a bit different then mine that his whole system acts up with usb and stuff. mine just shuts off. at the moment i've disconnected my SSD to see if that may be the cause i doubt my PSU is it's not even a year old. It's happened on both 0601 and 0509 Bios. Going to try to reproduce it on ai suite.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Was it happening randomly and you found a way to reproduce it? or does it only happen with use of ai suite?Okay its starting to look like this may be a mobo issue. chances of it happening too 3 different ppl are really low although Stealths issue was a bit different then mine that his whole system acts up with usb and stuff. mine just shuts off. at the moment i've disconnected my SSD to see if that may be the cause i doubt my PSU is it's not even a year old. It's happened on both 0601 and 0509 Bios. Going to try to reproduce it on ai suite.
It was happening when I would either run the fan tuner in AIS3 or when I would switch to a fan profile; turbo, standard, etc - the system would immediately halt and power off. At that point, I would also be in a situation where all of the Aura LEDs were pulsing in their default config and the chassis power button would not power on the system. To recover, I had to flip the PSU switch to off and hold the power button until all LEDs on the board went out, then I flipped the PSU back to on and powered the system on via chassis power button.

I am at work, but when I return home I'll test it out. I need to install AIS3 again too.

My PSU is a brand new Seasonic SSR-750TR, for what it's worth.

·
Registered
530 Posts
It was happening when I would either run the fan tuner in AIS3 or when I would switch to a fan profile; turbo, standard, etc - the system would immediately halt and power off. At that point, I would also be in a situation where all of the Aura LEDs were pulsing in their default config and the chassis power button would not power on the system. To recover, I had to flip the PSU switch to off and hold the power button until all LEDs on the board went out, then I flipped the PSU back to on and powered the system on via chassis power button.

I am at work, but when I return home I'll test it out. I need to install AIS3 again too.

My PSU is a brand new Seasonic SSR-750TR, for what it's worth.

Your system powers off exactly like mine with the default pulsing lights and the flipping of the psu. What is your cooling solution? I was able to get it to shut down once while running fan tuner when I hit stop on it but I’m not able to replicate it again so not sure if it was pure coincidence or not.

·
Registered
530 Posts
@elmor also it didn’t shut down in over 10+ hours while sitting in bios so it only happens in windows going to try a windows reinstall but not sure where else to look I don’t think it’s psu I’m using the same exact parts I did when I had my 1700X and ch6 it has to be either mobo or cpu

·
Computer Enthusiast
2,887 Posts
@elmor I powered off my machine, moved the NVMe to m.2_1 and it took me a cmos reset and nearly 10 minutes to boot - it just sat there at qcode 64 for ages until eventually it booted, but into some kind go slow mode!

In the bios mouse was unusable, and keystrokes were only recognised after about a second, if they were recognised. I rebooted and waited to see what would happen if it booted, which it did eventually, but again everything just stopped every few seconds. I tried cmos reset button, I tried the retry button, I tried moving the drive back, I tried taking it out - non of which worked.

I decided to reflash from UEFI - bit scary as it stopped every few seconds for 1 to 3 seconds, but it completed successfully.... eventually! This has fixed it - I have no idea what happened, unless I had made a mistake in my settings somewhere, but I thought the bios would have re detected the NVMe in its new place.

One other thing I noticed - on my old board, Prime Pro, it recognised 2 keyboards for some reason. My C7H reports that I have 3! I'm guessing this is because my keyboard is USB, and I also have an MS wireless mouse, so guess something on the dongle might be detected as keyboard, and now I have PS/2 connector which must count as 3 right? Don't think it causes a problem - just confusing when I'm only using 1..

I'm on bios 0601

·
Registered
530 Posts
@elmor I powered off my machine, moved the NVMe to m.2_1 and it took me a cmos reset and nearly 10 minutes to boot - it just sat there at qcode 64 for ages until eventually it booted, but into some kind go slow mode!

In the bios mouse was unusable, and keystrokes were only recognised after about a second, if they were recognised. I rebooted and waited to see what would happen if it booted, which it did eventually, but again everything just stopped every few seconds. I tried cmos reset button, I tried the retry button, I tried moving the drive back, I tried taking it out - non of which worked.

I decided to reflash from UEFI - bit scary as it stopped every few seconds for 1 to 3 seconds, but it completed successfully.... eventually! This has fixed it - I have no idea what happened, unless I had made a mistake in my settings somewhere, but I thought the bios would have re detected the NVMe in its new place.

One other thing I noticed - on my old board, Prime Pro, it recognised 2 keyboards for some reason. My C7H reports that I have 3! I'm guessing this is because my keyboard is USB, and I also have an MS wireless mouse, so guess something on the dongle might be detected as keyboard, and now I have PS/2 connector which must count as 3 right? Don't think it causes a problem - just confusing when I'm only using 1..

I'm on bios 0601

Sorry if I’m asking to much can you try running fan expert on AI suite? Some of us have been able to reproduce the system shutting down. I did it once and it seems like Steve up there can consistently do it.

·
Computer Enthusiast
2,887 Posts
It would be really useful guys if you could put your build components in your sig - makes it much easier to work out whats what!

·
Computer Enthusiast
2,887 Posts
Sorry if I’m asking to much can you try running fan expert on AI suite? Some of us have been able to reproduce the system shutting down. I did it once and it seems like Steve up there can consistently do it.

Funnily enough I tried it as soon as I read about it - works ok for me - do you all have 2xxx CPUs?

I do have probs with fans jumping up and down too quickly, but couldn't crash it

·
Registered
530 Posts
Funnily enough I tried it as soon as I read about it - works ok for me - do you all have 2xxx CPUs?

2700X and CH7

·
Computer Enthusiast
2,887 Posts
Really - it would help everyone, not least Elmor, to put all your components down in the sig, make for much faster problem solving! Just click on Tools>QuickLinks>Edit Signature above - took me ages to work out how to do it!

I'm happy to help whenever I can - you should never be afraid to ask, thats what this is here for!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Really - it would help everyone, not least Elmor, to put all your components down in the sig, make for much faster problem solving! Just click on Tools>QuickLinks>Edit Signature above - took me ages to work out how to do it!

I'm happy to help whenever I can - you should never be afraid to ask, thats what this is here for!
Done thank you couldn't find it before.

141 - 160 of 12401 Posts