Overclock.net banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

Anyone have any ideas for me? I have a Roku 2 XS (I think, WiFi only model) and it seems like every time someone is watching a movie on it (via Plex running on my desktop) it kicks my Xbox off of the network.

A bit about my setup:

Roku and Router (WNR-3500L) are in the same room, less than 6 feet from each other, Xbox in question is in the next room, less than 20 ft away, same floor. Xbox is connected via WiFi as well.

Happens whether I am playing a game (offline only, though I know it's happened because it kicks me off of XBL) or watching a movie (suddenly says unplayable content). Every time it happens, I have to restart my Xbox to reconnect to the network.

I do not watch movies via media center or Plex on the Xbox, only through the System Video Player watching movies shared on my desktop.

I'm hoping someone else has heard of this (Google didn't turn up anything) or has an idea. I've thought about getting a dual band router, but if that's not going to solve it I won't bother.

Hard wiring the Xbox would very likely solve the issue, and it's something I've considered (every time my father in law visits). I have my Xbox in my living room hard wired, just not the one in the bedroom. I just can't run the cables by myself.

·
In a van...DOWNBYTHERIVER
3,590 Posts
Check to see whether your Xbox is using a manual IP address. It sounds like the IP addresses are conflicting; IE both are possibly trying to use the same one. If it is, and you need it to be on manual for things like port-forwarding, DMZ, etc then just set it pretty high in the IP range instead of where it could be assigned to something else automatically.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pretty sure that both are set to auto (and the Roku is on all the time by default, so it should be holding its IP address so nothing else can use it).

I only have 1 thing on my network on a static IP and that's my NAS, though I can certainly set the Roku or the Xbox to static to see if that clears up the issue.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I set the Xbox to .99 when nothing on my network, other than my NAS is higher than .10

My wife will be using the Roku tonight when she is sewing, so I will know within 3 hours (after the kids are in bed and she starts) if it works.

·
3,590 Posts
Damn. I'm not great at figuring out these networking things, but maybe you can enable logging for the router, and that could shed some light on the issue?

·
I miss my OCN!!
2,196 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgtnubb View Post

I've always wondered if kits like this work, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156389&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-Powerline+Networking-_-N82E16833156389&gclid=CP-4vNjT87UCFQnNnAodE2UAvA might want to consider something like that.

Food for thought.
I'm skeptical to try power line networking. I'm eventually going to run an ethernet line into my bedroom that will take care of this issue, but I'm hoping that there is another fix as well. Dual band wifi may fix it, but I don't know that for sure.

·
3,590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidzoo View Post

I'm skeptical to try power line networking. I'm eventually going to run an ethernet line into my bedroom that will take care of this issue, but I'm hoping that there is another fix as well. Dual band wifi may fix it, but I don't know that for sure.
I've wanted to run lines through my home, but half of it is vaulted (no room in attic, literally) so it would be too hard to try and do the entire house, and I'm not even in the other half, so no point. I know when I get a home, I will be running that **** with the best wires, have a sweet NAS and a theater room.
biggrin.gif

I would try a dual-band router first, you could always return it (make sure about returns first) because obviously running lines would be much more difficult. Honestly though, I don't think it's an issue that isn't fixable without changing your hardware. I just don't know what else it would be. I'm sure once one of the more network-savvy people sees this thread they will be able to just know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts