Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a quick question:

As funny and ironic as it is, my computer is in the basement where there are pretty dang high amounts of humidity, and I noticed that after about 15 minutes of stress testing, my CPU temp climbs ridiculously fast and high.

Could the humidity be the cause? I have a room dehumidifier upstairs that I could bring down, would that make a difference? (it's really heavy haha, I don't want to lug it down three flights of stairs just to test this), the problem is, I think that the dehumidifier actually makes the room hotter, or at least it makes it feel hotter from what I remember last year, so I don't know what the outcome of this might be

·
Expand Always in Always
4,596 Posts
That could definitely be the cause,I've the same problem in the summer and run the dehumidifier 24/7 and it did bring down my temps.If possible place it as far away as possible.Just try it and see.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Dehumidifier will not help. Although it "feels" hotter to you when its humid, the temperature remains the same and your computer will not "feel" the same effect.
The only reason it feels hotter when humid is because it prevents your sweat from evaporating and cooling you. So unless your CPU cooler relies on open-air evaporation... yeah no difference.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrienspawn View Post
Humidity actually helps lol

The air has a higher volumic mass and therefore can stock more heat. You won't notice a difference though.

You noticed this all of a sudden? As in before your temps climbed up more slowly?
Well I only got this computer about a week ago and before that I had an old AMD system so I can't compare the two. But at 1.41V my temps get 75C+ after about 15 min of priming and I've tried everything, just running out of ideas.

So I will have the same temp if the air is 100 percent humid or 0 percent humid, there will be no difference?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Yep, your climb in temperature is from your overclocking. I couldn't get past 3.2 ghz without overheating until I got water cooling. We might just be unlucky enough to both belong to the overly-hot q6600 club!

·
Expand Always in Always
4,596 Posts
You guys may be right(I'm not and expert),but I my temps did drop.I just fine it hard to believe,humidity = no difference in temp.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here are a few graphs, it just doesn't seem right. Pay attention to the last one, no clue what the freak happened:

As far as ambient temp, it's normal, maybe 25C?
I've reseated this Tuniq 16 times in the past two weeks, no joke, yes I counted. This last time (couple of days back), I made sure I FULLY tightened it to the point the screw threads had no where to go.

Fans, I have 2 exhaust in the back, one intake in side, and two intake in front, should be enough. My idle temp is 26-28C, but as I've said load is the problem, and a major one.

And I don't have the know how for WC, looks extremely complicated and I don't think I can manage the responsibility of cleaning it regularly and whatnot, not to mention it will cost me 150+ which I don't have.

I've also lapped my CPU and HSF a couple of days ago with zero change to temps /cry I'm just so clueless about this and it's driving me nuts. 1.41V should NOT go over 65C for the most part on air. I'm getting 75-80C, and on supposedly pretty good air cooling

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Suggestions were made to you in another thread regarding your temp problems. Other have suggested you buy better fan for your Tuniq heatsink and better fans to cool your case. You had mentioned in your other thread that you're using rosewill and apevia fans which aren't the best. IMHO buying better quality fans will help your situation. Just my

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrienspawn
View Post

Humidity actually helps lol

The air has a higher volumic mass and therefore can stock more heat. You won't notice a difference though.

You noticed this all of a sudden? As in before your temps climbed up more slowly?

*** is "volumic mass"
there's volume, and there's mass, and there is no "volumic mass". based on that i wouldn't take your science advice.

As for the Q. Humidity probably isn't affecting the situation as much as the OC itself, as has been said.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by hawaiian_geek
View Post

Suggestions were made to you in another thread regarding your temp problems. Other have suggested you buy better fan for your Tuniq heatsink and better fans to cool your case. You had mentioned in your other thread that you're using rosewill and apevia fans which aren't the best. IMHO buying better quality fans will help your situation. Just my

I read many times how case fans do very little to affect CPU temp. I doubt a couple more CFM will lower my temp by 10-15C, it's something else. Also, I read about users switching their Tuniq tower fan's and gaining little to no change as well. Switching fans will not reduce my temps by 15C, I don't think that's possible. It's either something about the temp in my room or fan configuration, or something really messed up with my HSF

1 - 14 of 14 Posts