Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
M'aiq the Liar
7,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Wonder if any of you have any input. I'm not a music producer, I just do gaming/music listening. I've been thinking about how to place my monitors. I 'm trying to get an equilateral triangle. Tweeters are ear level. I'm estimating the tweeter to be just shy of ear level... 2-3 inches? At ear level it would make the tweeter exactly half height of the room.

Oh right, here is a schematic of my room. It's a work of art!
:thumbsups

The above is my current room. I can move the bookshelf if need be. The thing is, sitting at my desk, my left speaker has a wall 3 feet away but the right has a wall like 12 feet away. Is that an issue? I can move the desk and the shelf and the 2ft tall "desk" I have which my computer is sitting on.

I was thinking about something like this:

There's a 3 feet tall counter. It's also the kitchen. So uhm... While I can move the speakers 38% of the room's length from the wall, that would make my entire setup awkwardly close to the kitchen. Plus, I'm not sure if the counter counts as a "wall".
:buttkick:
Yes, technically if I sat everywhere in the room and moved the speakers along, that would be a fine way to test the optimal location. But that would take hours with my computer setup, lol. Under the second picture there would be exactly 3.5ft to the nearest wall for each speaker. The speaker would be approximately 1-2 ft from the wall. Ears approx 23% length of the room from the end.

Sounds like a fun little project (because I have nothing better to do), but moving things around is a real hassle. Do you think all of this effort will lead to audio quality that makes a difference or not?

Thanks

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,991 Posts
With how close you are to the speakers, I don't think you'd notice any appreciable differences (that is, if you'd notice any at all). So, if you were looking at this from the standpoint of listening at a distance, or just having the optimal listening experience no matter where you are in the room, then yeah, you'd want to put some serious effort into it in order to maximize the listening experience.

·
Registered
939 Posts
If the audio is concentrated in their area of listening thats where it matters
ie: Home Theater 5ch setup, everyone is in the speaker area
it doesn't matter how big the room is
if you're out of the listening area then your just an observer
if you're in the zone your active listener

I presume you have a couch and that also counts as part of the listening area if your watching a movie or playing a gamer from a relaxing position instead of a chair

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts

Of course, as others have pointed out, with near field listening room acoustics are mostly negated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts