Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
The Rosewill is a really good product, but I would rather go for the Leopold. I never used a Rosewill so I cannot back it up. The Rosewill logo can also be of an annoyance, but that may not bother you. If you are willing to spend $40 extra, then go for the Filco. Filco's are top notch!

·
Premium Member
5,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by n47;15329514
logitech
Troll.

From everything I've heard on here, the Rosewill actually has decent construction and is very reasonably priced. Might not be a bad purchase for ya afterall
smile.gif

·
Putting the OCD in OCN
1,404 Posts
I cannot speak for the Rosewill, but I have also heard that their quality is improving.

However, I do own a Leopold Tenkeyless with cherry browns and the build quality is absolutely superb.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,989 Posts
When the Filco Majestouch was still being sold on EliteKeyboards.com, the Rosewill keyboard was discovered to be the exact same board (except for the cable, keycaps, and LEDs).

The keyboard is/was the Costar CST-104. The Costar CST-104 was also used to "house" the internals of the ABS-M1, such as those low quality switches.

I can not say whether or not the CST-104 is still being used, however it most certainly looks like it. I mean when I study the picture of the Rosewill board, it looks perfectly identical to my Filco Majestouch.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables;15330557
When the Filco Majestouch was still being sold on EliteKeyboards.com, the Rosewill keyboard was discovered to be the exact same board (except for the cable, keycaps, and LEDs).

The keyboard is/was the Costar CST-104. The Costar CST-104 was also used to "house" the internals of the ABS-M1, such as those low quality switches.

I can not say whether or not the CST-104 is still being used, however it most certainly looks like it. I mean when I study the picture of the Rosewill board, it looks perfectly identical to my Filco Majestouch.
The only thing similar between the filco and rosewill was the controller(Costar CST-104)

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,989 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyMaster;15333104
And the switches themselves.
tongue.gif
...and the body.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Costar vs cherry stabilizers (somebody correct me if I'm wrong).

I've owned both kbs and they are both great. I sold the rosewill to a fellow OCNer only because I like tenkeyless form factor more.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BababooeyHTJ;15335336
IMO you would be crazy to pick up either one over a semicustom from WASD keyboards. The lettering on their keycaps will hold up far better than the Rosewill and probably the Leo.
Leopold is laser etched from what I've read...It will last longer than you'd probably keep it for. Besides, a new keycap is only a mouseclick away. Saving some cash up front is always welcome IMO.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm actually in the same boat as the OP, trying to find a good mechanical keyboard that can be reliably shipped to Canada. In my search I aso narrowed it down to Rosewill or Leopold.

Between the two I'm leaning towards the Rosewill. The reason being that if you buy a Rosewill through Newegg they will handle all the brokerage and customs issues for you. They charge the appropriate Canadian taxes on their sales in Canada and have brokerage included in their handling charge so that the package can get acoss the border without any hassle. If buying from EliteKeyboards however, there is a chance you could still be asked to pay brokerage, customs and duty fees to get it across the border. It's just luck of the draw on whether or not you have to pay these fees, but I've heard horror stories of Canadians needing to pay $50+ in additional customs fees just to get their package across the border I and I wanted to avoid any chance of that happening to me.

In my search for information and reviews of the Rosewill unit the primary complaint I've heard is that the key printing wears off easily. It's certainly not ideal, but at least it doesn't damage the functionality of the board.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd;15335724
Leopold is laser etched from what I've read...It will last longer than you'd probably keep it for. Besides, a new keycap is only a mouseclick away. Saving some cash up front is always welcome IMO.
Yes lasered and inkfilled like the Rosewill if I'm not mistaken. The black WASD keycaps are the same but the other colored keycaps are laser etched. The lettering will never wear off unlike the Rosewill which a lot of people have had that very problem. I haven't heard any complaints about the Leo keycaps though.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I think if someone wanted some custom keycaps with different symbols or colors installed, or if you wanted engraved keys instead of laser etched the WASD keyboard is the absolute best value. If you don't care about that stuff, it's not necessarily my first recommendation based solely on price.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd;15336054
I think if someone wanted some custom keycaps with different symbols or colors installed, or if you wanted engraved keys instead of laser etched the WASD keyboard is the absolute best value. If you don't care about that stuff, it's not necessarily my first recommendation based solely on price.
Why? Once you include the free shipping its cheaper than the Leo while having higher quality stabilizers and lettering on the keycaps. Newegg usually wants to charge shipping for the Rosewill too which normally makes it cost more than the WASD.

I would get one just to support WASD. They seem to really be listening to the community.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BababooeyHTJ;15336098
Why? Once you include the free shipping its cheaper than the Leo while having higher quality stabilizers and lettering on the keycaps. Newegg usually wants to charge shipping for the Rosewill too which normally makes it cost more than the WASD.

I would get one just to support WASD. They seem to really be listening to the community.
OfT: Does the WASD come in browns or reds?

OnT: leos, unless you wanna save change, get the rosewill then.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BababooeyHTJ;15336098

It's not cheaper. It's $139 for the custom to start. The Leopold comes with a free key puller from elite keyboards as well which adds a bit of value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spykerv;15336164
OfT: Does the WASD come in browns or reds?

OnT: leos, unless you wanna save change, get the rosewill then.
The WASD can be ordered with Brown, Blue, or Black switches.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd;15336167
It's not cheaper. It's $139 for the custom to start. The Leopold comes with a free key puller from elite keyboards as well which adds a bit of value.
A semi-custom that still offers a crap ton more options than Rosewill or Leopold will is only $120 shipped. So, yes it is cheaper.

Edit: I just saw the Newegg.ca so sadly it might not be cheaper for him.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts