Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please skim through this thread http://www.overclock.net/amd-cpus/51...u-upgrade.html

That was a rough upgrade!

After putting in the cpu the computer booted, went to the bios to check it out (detection things) and then it froze

Next it wouldn't even go to the BIOS, ok so I thought I’d reset (should have done first) and then went down to one RAM chip.

Yay it booted, saying settings had been defaulted, then I open the bios, don't change a thing, but save on exit and it fails to boot, then same story, if you save anything or nothing in the BIOS it will not post at ALL, then I fiddle and play with taking EVERYthing out.......still no luck, change ram around, no luck, use all four of the ram sticks by changing around (still clearing cmos each time) still nothing, the reseat everything, even mod power supply and still no luck, then I start going back on the bios (2207/2205/2201) and found the 2201 to work.... sort of, I had to drop my ram and cpu right down (ram to 400Mhz and cpu to 1.6GHz) â€" didn’t try to under clock with other BIOS, will but don’t have the time.
YAY….. Right?
No - Computer was EXTREMELY unstable, i.e. posting fine then freeze on raid detect, or windows boot, or while in windows all with in 15min of being in windows...

Ok so I was in CPU-z and saw the NB link was at 1800Mhz, this didn’t seem right (since HT link is at 2000? CPU to NB to SB so I thought I’d make the NB 2000) so I upped my FSB to 225 and dropped cpu multiplier to 12 (from 13.5) and put ram at stock, and BANG it worked (still going strong) but after some reading I find that 1800NB link is normal.????????

So I dropped the FSB back to 200 and multi to 13.5 and still worked fine, so I’m confused â€" currently have it at 225/12.5/HT 1100MHz/NB 2000MHz

So any help????

I know its a read but yeah,

Thanks

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
The NB can't be lower than the HT link. The whole architecture of the AMD platform does not allow it.

NB must always be greater than or equal to. That would explain your problems.

EDIT: stock frequencies of that chip is 1800MHz for both the NB and HT link. If I were you, I'd keep thr HT link as close to 1800 as possible, and play around with OCing the NB, since that actually does improve performance a little. ref clock 225 is actually a good setting because that allows you to drop the HT multi by 1, putting it back to exactly 1800 MHz, it OCs the NB to a little over 2000 MHz, and puts your RAM at 900 MHz if it can handle it.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by TEntel View Post
The NB can't be lower than the HT link. The whole architecture of the AMD platform does not allow it.

NB must always be greater than or equal to. That would explain your problems.

EDIT: stock frequencies of that chip is 1800MHz for both the NB and HT link. If I were you, I'd keep thr HT link as close to 1800 as possible, and play around with OCing the NB, since that actually does improve performance a little. ref clock 225 is actually a good setting because that allows you to drop the HT multi by 1, putting it back to exactly 1800 MHz, it OCs the NB to a little over 2000 MHz, and puts your RAM at 900 MHz if it can handle it.
Ok so i've had a look at this article http://www.barbadosblacktemplars.com...r.html?start=2 and it does agree with what you are saying.

So i've got a something to check and some things to change and try get all the same, but thank you so much.

First problem I see is.
I had it at Ht 2200 and NB at 2000, from the 2000 HT and 1800NB and it was stable, so I am confused, was it just luck???

What i currently have it at after you advice; 1800Ht and 2025 NB and CPU at low 2.8 currently, after some time with orthos and 3d mark I'll go for a higher system clock.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I think that was just luck.

On my current motherboard, and the previous one, the bios did not allow you to set a HT freq greater than the NB. If you changed the NB to lower than the HT, the HT would automatically drop a multiplier until it was equal to or lower than the NB. So I've never actually tried to boot with the HT higher than the NB.

That chip should be able to easily go over 3 GHz.

Here are some tips I can give you:
When you encounter instability, raising the cpu voltage isn't always the best choice.
Upping either the southbridge voltage, or the cpu-nb voltage a notch can stabilize the chip at high clocks.

Don't limit yourself to only one combination of ref clock and multi. The 225 ref clock was just an example. If you start running into problems, try setting it to 200 and OC the cpu, NB, and ram strictly using multipliers. That is how most people OC Phenoms. They only touch the ref clock to squeeze out the last 100 to 50 MHz.
I don't like to exactly do it that way, but it is a good starting point.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts