Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a wireless router with a stable, highly reliable connection in a place heavily saturated with other Wi-Fi networks and Bluetooth connections. One client will be connected through 2,4 GHz 802.11g connection and another one through LAN, while the data rate will be low (max 200 KB/s). There has to be no packet loss and uptime has to be 100 %. I have already tested Linksys WRT54GL in such environment and it crashed within few minutes with occasional packet loss beforehand. On the other hand, Cisco Meraki MX64W worked without a single problem.

Cisco is out of my budget, I am looking more towards ~200 $. Currently I aim for Asus RT-AC68U, Asus RT-AC87U, Linksys WRT3200ACM and Netgear AC1900 (R7000), but I don't really know what is the crucial thing to look for. Which router would you recommend? Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Iconoclast
30,429 Posts
If at all possible use 5GHz and make sure you use the least congested channel for whatever bands you're using. Narrower channel width settings may also be beneficial.

Beyond that, any quality wireless router with good antennas, good power, and multiple radios--essentially anything that does well in competent reviews--should suffice.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
well, as far as thinking about this question you have. There are a good amount of options.

but the primary question is, could you provide a detail on how many devices total will be used?

are you better off going non-wireless with the desktops and trying to limit the factor to having say, cell phones on the wireless only?

how critical is the data that requires it to be up 100% of the time?

·
Newb to Overclock.net
4,168 Posts
Consider powerline adapters? They have more reliable consistent performance than wifi, which can drop or throttle.

·
Registered
59 Posts
There has to be no packet loss and uptime has to be 100 %.
Due to the nature of wifi, this is not an attainable goal. If someone is on the same band/channel as you they can cause dropped packets. The most reliable way is to be connected with a cable. Even then dropped packets can happen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts