Overclock.net banner

Which motherboard should I get?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody.

Update 09SEP2010: I'm updating the thread's title. I'm getting a lot of valuable input and it's not just for the two options I've given.

For my next build, the Royal XI, I decided to go with the MSi Big Bang Trinergy. Unfortunately, when I went to order the parts, the Trinergy had sold out on newegg. So, rather than find the board on another site, I decided to peek around at other mobos.

I found the GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD4P and it meets my requirements. It also had USB 3.0 for a little additional futureproofing.

My question is this: MSi, Gigabyte, or other? If you pick other, please give me an example of a mobo I should get.

---
Basic Specs
---
HAF-X
i5-750
Dual-SLI EVGA GTX 470
8 GB RAM

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
Gigabyte fan here.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by GIPrice View Post
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130292

its much cheaper and you don't really need physx
I actually checked out that board, but I didn't see anything on SLI support on the details. I Googled it and I find responses that state it does not support SLI.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crimson0 View Post
I actually checked out that board, but I didn't see anything on SLI support on the details. I Googled it and I find responses that state it does not support SLI.
http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=pr...=&prod_no=2078

near the bottom it says sli = Y so I guess that means yes

·
Premium Member
6,630 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crimson0 View Post
That one seems a little out-dated...

yea, but its a proven good OC'ing board

just my

·
lAptOp jUnKie
4,632 Posts
I had just purchased the Gigabyte P55A UD4P but I have not opened it because I am still buying hardware for my new build. Personally, I have decided to take the Giga mobo back and exchange it for a MSI P55 GD65 ($109 after rebate) and when I feel the need to start using USB 3.0/SATA6G I'll just buy THIS or probably THIS ONE. What I'm actually saying is, if you are not using USB3.0/SATA6G right now and know for sure that you are not going to upgrade to that anytime soon, you can save yourself some $$$ and spend less for a mobo that has you needs. If you shop wisely, you can spend less overall even after you buy the add-on card when compared to a newer P55A mobo with those features. So I vote for "other"

my
of thoughts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Pie View Post
yea, but its a proven good OC'ing board

just my

Quote:

Originally Posted by drBlahMan View Post
I had just purchased the Gigabyte P55A UD4P but I have not opened it because I am still buying hardware for my new build. Personally, I have decided to take the Giga mobo back and exchange it for a MSI P55 GD65 ($109 after rebate) and when I feel the need to start using USB 3.0/SATA6G I'll just buy THIS or probably THIS ONE. What I'm actually saying is, if you are not using USB3.0/SATA6G right now and know for sure that you are not going to upgrade to that anytime soon, you can save yourself some $$$ and spend less for a mobo that has you needs. If you shop wisely, you can spend less overall even after you buy the add-on card when compared to a newer P55A mobo with those features. So I vote for "other"

my
of thoughts

I guess I really don't need USB 3.0 or SATA 3. I just wanted to future proof it a little. Also, lower price doesn't really matter that much, but it is nice.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Striker36 View Post
you wont really need the SATA 3 and USB 3 inlets you have somehting to run at that speed on the other end. yea future proofing but the way you upgrade your stuff...
Alright, I get it. I don't need USB 3 or SATA 3 right now. I'm gonna rename the thread because now it's more about which one to get, rather than just a choice of the two.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts