Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For years I've tinkered with the idea of geothermal cooling, it was finally time to execute.

Although a small scale attempt, so far results are promising.

There are three separate loops, each containing only 50 ft of copper pipe burried over 4 feet deep. Currently two PCs are connected to loops 1 and 3 and eventually my server will connect to loop 2. Copper connections are sheilded by PVC, within the PVC is the first layer of insulation for the hose connecting to the copper. Soon additional insulation will wrap the exposed PVC, still trying to figure out exactly what I want to use for this.

Two MCP-355's are able to move water at a more than acceptable flow rate through 20ft of hose and 50 ft of copper.

At this time I do not have my water temp sensors in place but CPU temps are 20C on the AMD rig, and 28C on the Intel.

·
Premium Member
8,364 Posts
Does the temp drop when it rains?

·
Premium Member
5,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My neighbors have seen plenty of wierd crap hanging out my windows over the last few years, this is just quieter.

Who knows Scorpion, system has been up and running for only a few hours.

·
Premium Member
5,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scorpion49
View Post

Does the temp drop when it rains?

Looks like temps drop about a degree or two when it rains.

Currently stable on the [email protected] with a 28C idle and 44C load.

·
Premium Member
11,178 Posts
I've always wanted to do this...I even started to once, but my wife wouldn't let me drill holes in the wall of the house
sad-smiley-002.gif

So I did a gallon res sitting in the sump of my house instead...worked pretty well too, but in the end it was too much of a hassel for me to keep going.

·
Premium Member
5,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vagrant Storm
View Post

I've always wanted to do this...I even started to once, but my wife wouldn't let me drill holes in the wall of the house

So I did a gallon res sitting in the sump of my house instead...worked pretty well too, but in the end it was too much of a hassel for me to keep going.

She has to leave the house sometime....

·
Premium Member
4,349 Posts
A guy I work with asked me about a geothermal loop a few months back after I showed him my build. That got me thinking, and once I purchase a house in the next few months, I will be doing this as well
thumb.gif

·
Premium Member
5,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberDruid;15624899
Brilliant work. I should have imbedded lines in my shop floor...it's always frigid.
And thank you again for the wall hangers! So what's CD up to in his retirement?

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
i applaud you for doing this. not only is it super cool
cool.gif
but it is green. people who use AC in their house could save money and do their part by doing this.

·
Premium Member
5,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by joec0p View Post

Neat idea!

What about the radiators hanging outside? Seems like a nice place to start a Wasp nest.
The wasps hate UltraKaze 3000's
thumb.gif

I've got to bring those back inside and get them ready for their next adventure. I have 2 360 rads and 2 240 rads and enough fans to build an aircraft.

Probably start building water systems with my left over parts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoobs View Post

i applaud you for doing this. not only is it super cool
cool.gif
but it is green. people who use AC in their house could save money and do their part by doing this.
My outdoor cooling initiatives have saved on cooling costs of my office. Right now the last thing to go under water is my server. Hence the reason I have three underground loops but only two in use at the moment. The server has dual quads, a lot of a RAM, and some toasty power supplies in it. I'm hoping I can find a very low profile hard drive waterblock and place it on the ram and PSU's while Swiftech has low profile server blocks for socket 771.

IMG_0063.jpg

·
Registered
27 Posts
This is not currently feasible for me to do at this moment in time, but one day I wish to have a geothermal setup. You have inspired me. Amazing work.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts