Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011...543-for-japan/

Quote:

Valve were selling a variety of hats and noisemakers in Team Fortress 2 with prices ranging from $0.49 to $100 (that'd be the one on the right, there) in the name of raising money forAmerican Red Cross's disaster relief fund for Japan. Those items vanished from the game's Mann Co. store on Wednesday last week, but Valve have today reported on the official Team Fortress 2 blog that fans bought a total of $430,543 and 65 cents' worth of stuff.

Hats seem to get a lot of hate in the TF2 community. However, after I saw them being used for such a noble cause, I feel no ill will towards them any longer.

Bravo Valve

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
micro transactions for weapons and items killed tf2 for me. the random drops were fine and earning guns thru achievements was cool but once they added item crafting and micro transactions and trading it became more of a money grab mmo/fps rip with stuff like that. think about it you pay $10 right now for the game (50 if you got it new like me) and you can drop over $80 on a single pack for some items??? i think its a scam so many people are falling for, but for there awesomeness of taking that cash and putting it to help japan ill forgive them for now but still think its dumb.

·
PC Gaming Master Race
10,086 Posts
This was a marvelous idea. Most gamers (sorry to generalize) are either not very wealthy, or don't care to give to a donation to a relief fund such as the one for this Japan tragedy. Giving a small incentive for those who "donate" will attract (the sales numbers don't lie) hundreds or thousands of donations. I just hope that Valve really is donating every penny minus any costs they incurred from this.

·
Premium Member
14,173 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil-Jester
View Post

micro transactions for weapons and items killed tf2 for me. the random drops were fine and earning guns thru achievements was cool but once they added item crafting and micro transactions and trading it became more of a money grab mmo/fps rip with stuff like that. think about it you pay $10 right now for the game (50 if you got it new like me) and you can drop over $80 on a single pack for some items??? i think its a scam so many people are falling for, but for there awesomeness of taking that cash and putting it to help japan ill forgive them for now but still think its dumb.

Welcome to "TF2 is still awesome, hats didn't change anything". Please give me your ticket, afterwards you can have a seat and enjoy the movie.

·
Premium Member
8,423 Posts
I will not support microtransactions in this game, even for a good cause.

I'll aid Japan in different ways

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
gj valve but i still hate what you've done to tf2.
I played since beta and up until a few weeks after the mann co. store was released. The game was great up until they started releasing stupid ****. Unlocks went downhill and made the game cheesy at best, and releasing tons of stupid hats was just salt on an open wound.

I dont think anyone who has played from the start could say that TF2 NEEDED hats or gimmicky unlocks, crafting, trading or even a store.

I love valve and most of their games, but if they try to pull the same **** with any of the new games they develop im gonna reconsider the purchase because i no longer want to play tf2 and that it was my favorite game.

/rant

·
Registered
540 Posts
I never liked TF2, hats or not.
Sadly, I think most of that people wouldn't have donated anything for Japan without that TF hats. It's about help and not about saying "Hey, I've bought this 100$ hat to help the Japanese look how awesome I am".

·
Banned
4,683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Jester;13084447
A money grab? VALVe has been supporting this game for over 4 yrs, they deserve to be able to earn money for their continued support of the game.

People are under NO obligation to buy any of this stuff and 9/10ths of it drops for free in games anyways.

And i just don't understand why some people are so negative about the hats....they're personalization hats.....seriously some people rage over anything.

·
Premium Member
8,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth Pyros;13084787
I just hope that Valve really is donating every penny minus any costs they incurred from this.
The crapstorm that would surround them if that were true and got out would drive them to the ground.

I have no reason to believe that Valve would be taking pennies from charity. They make so much money off their distribution platform, there's no need.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by staryoshi;13085654
I will not support microtransactions in this game, even for a good cause.

I'll aid Japan in different ways
smile.gif
You can buy items you don't have e.g Natasha.

I hate hats, but I'm glad that they are doing this.

·
Banned
1,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s-x;13086129
gj valve but i still hate what you've done to tf2.
I played since beta and up until a few weeks after the mann co. store was released. The game was great up until they started releasing stupid ****. Unlocks went downhill and made the game cheesy at best, and releasing tons of stupid hats was just salt on an open wound.

I dont think anyone who has played from the start could say that TF2 NEEDED hats or gimmicky unlocks, crafting, trading or even a store.

I love valve and most of their games, but if they try to pull the same **** with any of the new games they develop im gonna reconsider the purchase because i no longer want to play tf2 and that it was my favorite game.

/rant
Dude I agree with you 100 percent. I miss the vanilla days of TF2.

·
Registered
387 Posts
It's awesome the TF2 community raised that much money for Japan. Also, the Hachimaki looks pretty sweet on the sniper.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleingetier;13086225
Sadly, I think most of that people wouldn't have donated anything for Japan without that TF hats. It's about help and not about saying "Hey, I've bought this 100$ hat to help the Japanese look how awesome I am".
I agree but I still think it's awesome valve and the donators did a great job. Sure the $100 hats buyers were probably to just show off but who cares, it's their money and it ultimately went to help the relief efforts.

·
Gamer
3,602 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennobanzai
View Post

I agree but I still think it's awesome valve and the donators did a great job. Sure the $100 hats buyers were probably to just show off but who cares, it's their money and it ultimately went to help the relief efforts.

who cares how they donated, they still did. (towards the person you replied to)

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
at least 100% of the proceeds went to japan.

Unlike *cough* another company keeping 50% for themselves from selling pets.

·
Premium Member
14,339 Posts
I was rather happy to see this turn out so well for them. While I see both sides of the argument about TF2, I have to side with those who don't mind the new system. I have enough trust in Valve (and this sort of thing only enhances that) to realize that they put it in the game for a reason. They wouldn't put such drastic changes in a game if the game was thriving or had a strong future. In my eyes, they saved TF2 from becoming inevitably stagnant and gave it a facelift (many times over). I have very VERY few other games that have kept me for as long as TF2 and I don't mind letting Valve make changes that hardly affect gameplay. I've gotten my money's worth and I am glad to be able to still play a fresh game today.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts