Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
amd-excavator.jpg

Quote:
A few months ago, AMD released a refresh of their popular Kaveri APUs and along with that, they released the Athlon X4 845 CPU. The Athlon X4 845 is the most interesting chip AMD has released thus far because this is the first desktop processor featuring the company's new 28nm Excavator architecture technology, an updated version of the Steamroller architecture featured on Kaveri processors which launched in June 2014.
Source

whats the point of buying this chip when the FM2+ socket is dead?

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
A little late, we've got the next release coming in a month or two which is another great stride in performance over this one.

·
Premium Member
4,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt View Post

whats the point of buying this chip when the FM2+ socket is dead?
Because it's a quad-core CPU that's cheaper than dirt. There is a market for CPU's for people who don't need to play GTAV at 4K, but do need a computer.

·
Debian Dude
2,184 Posts
Seems fine to me. I changed my desktop from an FX-9590 to an Athlon X4 845 to play with Excavator a few months back once the CPU became available. I've enjoyed the experience.

·
Consumerism 101
4,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themisseble View Post

60$ CPU...
$70. His statement still holds true.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slomo4shO View Post

$70. His statement still holds true.
Look. Mostly you can have 14nm vs 28nm. Lets say that you would have i5 6600K 14nm and on 28nm (28nm without iGPU). So on 14nm would cost 250$ and on 28nm would cost 130$.. which one would you buy?

·
Sunday League Jibber
4,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrillex View Post

Single x8 PCI is a bit rubbish
Not ideal, certainly, but one shouldn't expect ideal at £50.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsi38t View Post

I would think the x4 860k would just be better for just a few more bucks.
The 860k is better if you're going to overclock, but the 845 is more efficient and roughly equal or a little faster at stock, IIRC.

·
Rabies is my business
4,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenge View Post

Anyone who ends up buying this chip is most likely not in the market for a GPU that would actually need more PCIe bandwidth.
Yeah, if $60 is your CPU budget more than 1 GPU is not in the equation.

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robenger View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory121295 View Post

The Pentium g3258 made the athlon ii x4 line useless imo. Better single threaded AND overall performance for same price, on a chipset that's not old as dirt.
No.
He is actually right. The Athlon has no iGPU. G3258 has integrated graphics.

·
Politically incorrect
9,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory121295 View Post

Didn't realize the 800 series was such a generational leap over the 700 series. I take back what I said about multi-core. Still stand behind chipset and single thread comments though.
If all you play are SC and Skyrim yes, but if you do anything else with your PC that dual core will choke easily. Anything that is somewhat properly threaded will have a very hard time with dual cores, their time is up.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts