Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
Plextor, leading developer and manufacturer of high-performance digital media and storage equipment, will reveal its new M6 Solid State Drive Solution at the upcoming 2014 edition of CeBIT in Hannover, Germany. The M6 multi-form factor lineup features Plextor's next-generation and new 2.5" M6S, the new M6M mSATA SSD and the new ultra-fast M6e M.2 PCIe SSD.
Source

·
Registered
21 Posts
It would be cool if the pcie ssd is a good bang for the buck. I personally dont know much about plextor but i hope it will bring fresh air in the ssd, especially the pcie ssd´s field.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
With speeds like that the M6e doesn't seem like its based upon the new Marvell Altaplus controller which is a shame, I guess it really won't be ready until computex or later.

·
Intel/Nvidia
3,445 Posts
Why make mSATA? Can't we have more regular SSD drives instead?
thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Plextor makes some of the most reliable SSDs out there. I have a couple of their SSDs still running strong. Hopefully the Plextor M6e will be worth the wait.
thumb.gif

·
Premium Member
4,410 Posts
My mp5 Extreme has near identical performance as the EVO

·
PC Evangelist
47,497 Posts
Whats the point of these new SSD. For like 2-3 generations they have not done anything about speed.

·
Premium Member
5,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post

Whats the point of these new SSD. For like 2-3 generations they have not done anything about speed.
Speed is not the only important thing about SSD, $/GB have gone down significantly in the last 2-3 generation due to smaller nodes & TLC NAND and for most people that is the far more important factor to consider when buying a SSD.

Plus these SSDs include M.2 PCIe SSD with pretty nice speed boost over SATA 3 SSDs:
Quote:
The Plextor M6e is the first native PCI express SSD solution to eliminate the performance bottleneck of SATA III.The M6e is capable of delivering sequential read / write speeds up to 770/625 MB/s and random read / write speeds of 105,000 / 100,000 IOPS. The M6e is automatically recognized as an AHCI device requiring no additional drivers. When used as a boot disk on a system with UEFI startup times are cut in half. The M6e is the perfect add-on for high performance luxury desktop systems. The M6e comes in capacities up to 512 GB.

·
PC Evangelist
47,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlock View Post

Speed is not the only important thing about SSD, $/GB have gone down significantly in the last 2-3 generation due to smaller nodes & TLC NAND and for most people that is the far more important factor to consider when buying a SSD.

Plus these SSDs include M.2 PCIe SSD with pretty nice speed boost over SATA 3 SSDs:
Well they have been making cheaper SSD lately. 240-256GB SSD have not change much in price in last 3 years. They range from $150-200. Even if you can find cheaper SSD they are cheap for a reason.

·
Premium Member
5,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post

Well they have been making cheaper SSD lately. 240-256GB SSD have not change much in price in last 3 years. They range from $150-200. Even if you can find cheaper SSD they are cheap for a reason.
You mean this $137.99 840 Evo 250 gb & this $126.99 M500 240 gb plus this $129.99 Seagate 600 240gb are not worth buying because they are "cheap for a reason"?

Plus the same size drive 3 year ago would have costed you way over $250(Samsung 830 256GB costs $360 in Feb 2012).
Quote:
240-256GB SSD have not change much in price in last 3 years. They range from $150-200
How about no? The big price drop happened mid 2012 and continued to drop through 2013, but even the early 2012 SSD price is much much higher than what we have now.

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
Quote:

You mean this $137.99 840 Evo 250 gb & this $126.99 M500 240 gb(MLC) are not worth buying because they are "cheap for a reason"?

Plus the same size drive 3 year ago would have costed you way over $250(Samsung 830 256GB costs $360 in Feb 2012).
How about no? The big price drop happened mid 2012 and continued to drop through 2013, but even the early 2012 SSD price is much much higher than what we have now.

To be fair, neither of those two drives are worth buying because the Seagate 600 of the same capacity as those, costs less, and offers better performance.

·
Premium Member
5,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinaesthetic View Post

To be fair, neither of those two drives are worth buying because the Seagate 600 of the same capacity as those, costs less, and offers better performance.
Added Seagate 600 to my post, good find. What you said concurs with my argument that $/GB have fallen drastically in the last 2-3 generations.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM3S121 View Post

my mp5 was a great purchase, excited ot see what plextor has to offer again when i need another ssd
Plextor is pricey but they make the highest quality SSD's on the market, and their testing for endurance is unmatched

·
PC Evangelist
47,497 Posts
Quote:

You mean this $137.99 840 Evo 250 gb & this $126.99 M500 240 gb plus this $129.99 Seagate 600 240gb are not worth buying because they are "cheap for a reason"?

You are looking at the Wrong drivers. Driver that used to be in 150-200 range and long gone now. Drivers like Vertex 3, 4, Crucial M4. I have been wanting to buy a SSD for 3 year now but because i dont really need it I have been holding off. Speaking of Segate 600 is that any good? For that price i could get it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts