Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Programmer
28,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Quote:
Researchers are set to start analyzing mysterious cosmic particles that they discovered in the Egyptian Bent Pyramid. And they say the particles could be the answer to how the pyramids were created some 4,600 years ago.

An international team of scientists has said that they had installed plates inside the 105-meter-tall Bent Pyramid, built by the Pharaoh Snefru, and last month collected the results.
Inside the ancient structure, the researchers found radiographic particles known as muons that fall from the Earth's atmosphere.

The particles easily go through empty spaces, but they tend to be absorbed or re-routed by hard surfaces. Scientists are now going to study the patterns of the particles, and they believe that this may lead to a groundbreaking finding.
SOURCE

·
New to OCN? Yeah, nah
4,231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjj226 Angel View Post

Aliens

Honestly I do not get how muons can change the theory on how the pyramids were built. It might ad to the reason of why they were built, but last time I checked, muons could not move 20 ton blocks.
They're examining the structure via muon interactions, not implying muons were used to move the blocks. Not sure where you pulled that from...

·
Premium Member
4,166 Posts
Quote:

Aliens

Honestly I do not get how muons can change the theory on how the pyramids were built. It might ad to the reason of why they were built, but last time I checked, muons could not move 20 ton blocks.
No, but inventing concrete and casting the 20-ton blocks in place would work just fine, without any weird theories or the need for space aliens.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Title is a click bait.

·
Premium Member
7,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aroc91 View Post

They're examining the structure via muon interactions, not implying muons were used to move the blocks. Not sure where you pulled that from...
I see.

The only theories I see for how the pyramids were made either include a bunch of people moving rocks or some sort of conspiracy theory about aliens.

This sounded like such bull crap originally that I thought some idiot invited the history channel to the pyramid to conduct experiments.

I did not think they were using the muons as sort of a ghetto xray machine.

·
New to OCN? Yeah, nah
4,231 Posts
Quote:

I see.

The only theories I see for how the pyramids were made either include a bunch of people moving rocks or some sort of conspiracy theory about aliens.

This sounded like such bull crap originally that I thought some idiot invited the history channel to the pyramid to conduct experiments.

I did not think they were using the muons as sort of a ghetto xray machine.
Reading the article usually helps.

·
Premium Member
7,159 Posts
Meh. I doubt that is the case. They still have quarries with unfinished blocks and plenty of tools that pretty much paint a fairly clear picture that they carved the rock.

And its not like the rock they used held some special meaning that they would use natural stone to cover concrete. In other words, if they wanted to use concrete, they probably would have just made the whole thing out of concrete.

However I feel like there are about a billion different ways of figuring out if they used concrete. Find the absolute thickest part of the pyramid and take a core sample.

·
Premium Member
7,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aroc91 View Post

Reading the article usually helps.
Eh. The whole thing is poorly written. The title makes it sound like the particles are the key to how the pyramids were built.

Its says they put up plates. And then it says they found particles.

The way its written makes it sound like the discovery of the particles will directly lead to a new theory.

They could have easily said in the beginning that they are using a new technology using muons as a means to scan the pyramids. Or something along those lines.

·
Premium Member
4,166 Posts
Quote:

Meh. I doubt that is the case. They still have quarries with unfinished blocks and plenty of tools that pretty much paint a fairly clear picture that they carved the rock.

And its not like the rock they used held some special meaning that they would use natural stone to cover concrete. In other words, if they wanted to use concrete, they probably would have just made the whole thing out of concrete.

However I feel like there are about a billion different ways of figuring out if they used concrete. Find the absolute thickest part of the pyramid and take a core sample.
They carved the outside stones, which were made of polished granite. And why wouldn't they cover cast concrete blocks with polished granite stones? Don't we cover bricks with vinyl siding and other materials when we build stuff today? Well, the ancient Egyptians didn't have vinyl yet, so they used what they had for the casing stones.

This explains it all pretty well: http://www.bonisteelml.org/ConcretePyramid1.htm.

It's not been proven, but it's the only answer that makes any sense.

·
Premium Member
7,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1973 View Post

They carved the outside stones, which were made of polished granite. And why wouldn't they cover cast concrete blocks with polished granite stones? Don't we cover bricks with vinyl siding and other materials when we build stuff today? Well, the ancient Egyptians didn't have vinyl yet, so they used what they had for the casing stones.

This explains it all pretty well: http://www.bonisteelml.org/ConcretePyramid1.htm.

It's not been proven, but it's the only answer that makes any sense.
Yeah but see thats just it. We found giant carved blocks.

It would be one thing if we found polished slabs. Then it would make sense. But why on earth would you cover concrete with giant blocks? Seems kinda pointless.

And yeah, its granite. But its not exactly pretty granite. It is literally a different shade of the dirt around them. If it were black granite, or something drastically different, then it would make sense that they would use it aesthetically.

Lastly, I do not mind if the pyramids are primarily made up of concrete. But then do a simple core sample.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Muons, like aliens from x-com? Oh no wait... mutons :)

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Anything we can't explain, must have been aliens.

Even still in 2016. Seriously people......

·
Premium Member
6,737 Posts
Quote:

It would be one thing if we found polished slabs. Then it would make sense. But why on earth would you cover concrete with giant blocks? Seems kinda pointless.

And yeah, its granite. But its not exactly pretty granite. It is literally a different shade of the dirt around them. If it were black granite, or something drastically different, then it would make sense that they would use it aesthetically.

Lastly, I do not mind if the pyramids are primarily made up of concrete. But then do a simple core sample.
I think you are overestimating the ability of ancient cultures to move such massive objects around the world as they see fit. They didnt have trucks and planes and freight ships and such, they have carts with various animals or slave labor to pull them. People of the time couldnt just go to a design center look at various granite samples and say "oh I like this one, how much will it cost to install it?"

Also, why not case something in gigantic stones? It would give other countries the impression the whole thing was made out of them and make the Egyptians seem even more powerful and prestigious. Or maybe if common houses are built with concrete then a godlike pharaoh would want his crowning achievement to give the appearance that it is made of something else, instead of a common material.

·
pass the lortabs
5,004 Posts
Grain repository.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlindDeafMute View Post

Anything we can't explain, must have been aliens.

Even still in 2016. Seriously people......
Quote:
Originally Posted by EniGma1987 View Post

I think you are overestimating the ability of ancient cultures to move such massive objects around the world as they see fit. They didnt have trucks and planes and freight ships and such, they have carts with various animals or slave labor to pull them. People of the time couldnt just go to a design center look at various granite samples and say "oh I like this one, how much will it cost to install it?"

Also, why not case something in gigantic stones? It would give other countries the impression the whole thing was made out of them and make the Egyptians seem even more powerful and prestigious. Or maybe if common houses are built with concrete then a godlike pharaoh would want his crowning achievement to give the appearance that it is made of something else, instead of a common material.
This applies to anyone else discussing aliens building the pyramid, and to educate anyone on the forum.

The slabs which everyone debates on "how can they move 20 ton stone" "even with our machines it is difficult to do!".
A study was recently published last year about the actual methods the pyramid was built. (movement of blocks specifically).

The evidence supporting is is quite vast, and a little bit "funny" since the answer was in front of all the researchers faces. You will see very soon.

Please stare at the picture...now stare at the circle of the picture..

What do you make of it? Someone pouring liquids..

This was done by the ancient civilization because they discovered frictional force (yes physics people, they applied physics) they learned that by applying water to sand, the surface tension decreased, and in turn it allowed the stones to SLIDE on sand.

By using properties of water combined with sand the slaves were able to move around the blocks.

http://phys.org/news/2014-04-ancient-egyptians-pyramid-stones-sand.html

Anyways I this post contributed to your daily food for thought!
thumb.gif

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EniGma1987 View Post

They have unfinished stones in the quarry, they were transported by boat down the Nile. They even have a ton of beaurocratic paperwork lying around with payrolls and such of the workers at the quarry, docks, and the pyramids. It's very, very well established how it works.

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by istudy92 View Post

This applies to anyone else discussing aliens building the pyramid, and to educate anyone on the forum.

The slabs which everyone debates on "how can they move 20 ton stone" "even with our machines it is difficult to do!".
A study was recently published last year about the actual methods the pyramid was built. (movement of blocks specifically).

The evidence supporting is is quite vast, and a little bit "funny" since the answer was in front of all the researchers faces. You will see very soon.

Please stare at the picture...now stare at the circle of the picture..

What do you make of it? Someone pouring liquids..

This was done by the ancient civilization because they discovered frictional force (yes physics people, they applied physics) they learned that by applying water to sand, the surface tension decreased, and in turn it allowed the stones to SLIDE on sand.

By using properties of water combined with sand the slaves were able to move around the blocks.

http://phys.org/news/2014-04-ancient-egyptians-pyramid-stones-sand.html

Anyways I this post contributed to your daily food for thought!
thumb.gif
weren't slaves, just joe blow employees of the govt just like we have today.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts