Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Retired
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I was pretty ill so I let my computer fold all day. This was my first day letting her fold at some preliminary underclocked and undervolted settings, I still need to dial in the voltage-frequency curve but as it is I have dropped the at load wattage from ~380 down to ~280 which has seen the clock speeds drop from ~1950 to ~1860. There's still much more to tune, I expect I'll be able to drop another 20 or so watts while maintaining or boosting the average clock a little bit more when I have the energy to fiddle w/ the voltage-frequency curve. Anyways, here are the first uninterrupted 24 hours I let the 3090 fold at. Total PPD @ underclocked settings: 6,425,463

·
Registered
180 Posts
~6.5 milly a day... that's alot!

·
Premium Member
2,416 Posts
think i brought a butter knife to a gun fight.

my whole system avg is 400~500k a day
With what hardware? Do you have a passkey set up with bonus points active?

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
What were the temperatures?

·
Retired
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What were the temperatures?
Temps are pretty damn low, ~57c max at the undervolted/underclocked settings. The cooler on the 3090 TUF is pretty beefy and having two 120s right below the GPU certainly doesn't hurt.

• Rep+
Reactions: chris89

·
I <3 narcissists
6,336 Posts
That's pretty darn good.

For perspective, my 2080ti and 1080ti (both stock settings) will do about 6.4 mil ppd if I let them run uninterrupted. It takes a good bit more wattage for me to get that 6.4 mil though (500-ish watts).

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Temps are pretty damn low, ~57c max at the undervolted/underclocked settings. The cooler on the 3090 TUF is pretty beefy and having two 120s right below the GPU certainly doesn't hurt.
Thats ridiculously low temps & even the FE card hit 72*C under load but maybe 3d load is different than folding?

·
Retired
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats ridiculously low temps & even the FE card hit 72*C under load but maybe 3d load is different than folding?
Folding load is pretty variable depending on the WU and how much of the GPU it can use. Some WU's only peg my GPU at 80% load with temps around 53c, while the ones that show ~95% utilization hit 57c at underclock/undervolt and 60c w/ an overclock and 107% power limit. Keep in mind the Asus TUF 3090 has a power limit of ~375 watts whereas the FE cards I believe go up to 410 watts, that's another 35 watts of heat the FE cooler has to dissipate w/ one fewer fan than the TUF. I also run the Lian Li 011D w/ 3 120 side (back) intakes, 2 120 bottom intakes, and 6 120 exhausts on the push/pull 360 rad up top, so there is a bunch of air flowing through the case. Recently I attempted (and failed, infuriating) to hit 20k on time spy and during my attempts, I took the front/side panel off the case and pointed a Vornado desk fan under the GPU in an attempt to bring the temps down as much as I could and only saw a 6c drop at load for the temps, the airflow in the case is just that good.

• Rep+
Reactions: chris89

·
I <3 narcissists
6,336 Posts
I tried the same thing with my O11D. I was glad it's didn't make a big difference in temps because taking off the side panel surely made a difference in noise.

I have noticed the variability in loads depending on the work unit. There are some work units that give me some coil noise as well, I hate those work units. Those coil whine work units are causing me to second guess my open bench idea for a folding rig.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Folding load is pretty variable depending on the WU and how much of the GPU it can use. Some WU's only peg my GPU at 80% load with temps around 53c, while the ones that show ~95% utilization hit 57c at underclock/undervolt and 60c w/ an overclock and 107% power limit. Keep in mind the Asus TUF 3090 has a power limit of ~375 watts whereas the FE cards I believe go up to 410 watts, that's another 35 watts of heat the FE cooler has to dissipate w/ one fewer fan than the TUF. I also run the Lian Li 011D w/ 3 120 side (back) intakes, 2 120 bottom intakes, and 6 120 exhausts on the push/pull 360 rad up top, so there is a bunch of air flowing through the case. Recently I attempted (and failed, infuriating) to hit 20k on time spy and during my attempts, I took the front/side panel off the case and pointed a Vornado desk fan under the GPU in an attempt to bring the temps down as much as I could and only saw a 6c drop at load for the temps, the airflow in the case is just that good.
-6*C is quite a big reduction though from a desk fan helping but yeah sounds like u have some amazing airflow.

·
I <3 narcissists
6,336 Posts
Do you have the passkey or whatever it's called?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts