Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, is there a list on which models of the RTX 3090 are worth buying, considering the overall quality, cooling and in the end - OC potential? I've seen so many flawed models on this gen that I'm scared to make a choice, not really wanting to RMA'ing the card in a week or having to disassembly it out of the box to do thermal pad/BIOS modding.

I've been doing some research on forums etc. and what I found was:
FE - VRAM cooking, needs a thermal pad job
MSI - all good (Gaming X Trio), to very good (Suprim X)
EVGA - many reported problems with low power draw and sudden death (already fixed?)
ASUS TUF - very good, low-ish PL? (fixed by VBIOS flash?)
ASUS Strix - very good but problems with rattling noise (fixed already?)
Zotac - low end, low power limit
Gigabyte - issues with power connectors passthrough, low PL
GB Aorus - all very good?
Galax - ?
Aorus - ?
PNY - ?
Inno3d?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hi guys, is there a list on which models of the RTX 3090 are worth buying, considering the overall quality, cooling and in the end - OC potential? I've seen so many flawed models on this gen that I'm scared to make a choice, not really wanting to RMA'ing the card in a week or having to disassembly it out of the box to do thermal pad/BIOS modding.

EVGA - many reported problems with low power draw and sudden death (already fixed?)
Galax - ?
Aorus - ?
PNY - ?
Inno3d?
FE owner here. No issues on air for months and almost no coil whine now that it’s on water with a an alphacool block. My VRAM temps were fine on air. Don’t know where you found information saying the VRAM was too hot but that’s not the case with all of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Evga fixed the pcie socket overdraw of power but lot of ppl still power limited to max 450ish watts. Solved by going to kingpin 530watt bios. Still better than oct-nov batch with even worse numbers

·
Registered
38 Posts
The Galax/KFA2 card is fine. There is a bios with 390w PL available which is a bit meagre, but the KP XOC 1000w bios works on it if you're prepared to take the risk.
The air cooler looks a bit crap, but I've put a water-block on mine.
My card seems to be able to compete with the best of them on the 3DMark leader-boards.

·
Registered
188 Posts

Galax - ?
Aorus - ?
PNY - ?
Inno3d?
I own the MSI RTX 3090 SUPRIM X. The cooling on it is outstanding, even if the power draw is high. Some other brands get very hot, including the founder's edition, if they don't believe it, it is because they have not run the latest version of HWINFO64 and looked at the Hot Spot Temperature. I cannot recall every card with heat issues because I stopped investigating after getting mine. Gigabyte has had issues with fan failures for quite a few years. Galax is known for lower quality hardware on the PCB. If you get a 3090, don't worry about overclocking it, just get the latest version of MSI Afterburner, I'm using version 465.89 at the moment, max out core voltage, power and temperature limits. Open NVIDIA Control Panel > Manage 3D settings, set Power management mode to Prefer Maximum Performance, set Texture Filtering - Quality to High Performance. In most instances increasing the memory clock doesn't do much good because it is like ECC memory and is more touchy compared to previous versions of VRAM. My VRAM will go almost 1,000MHz higher however it is not stable in all applications or some applications actually slow down, and I don't mine with my card. Most people settle for about 95 to 105MHz higher VRAM. My core clock can go another 129MHz in all applications, however it increased power draw. I game at 1440p and have reduced the core clock by 500MHz, VRAM is what MSI is at stock [0 in Afterburner]. If you want to play all games at 4K then you might want to overclock a little, I have found little benefit overclocking.

·
Overclocked
3,944 Posts
Avoid Zotac, PNY, Inno3D and low-end MSI and Gigabyte crap, they tend to cheap out on components and generally have low power limits.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stupid question but is there actually a 'low end MSI' already? Ithought they only had the 3090 Trio and Suprim?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Stupid question but is there actually a 'low end MSI' already? Ithought they only had the 3090 Trio and Suprim?
I have not seen their low end versions for the 3090.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Avoid Zotac, PNY, Inno3D and low-end MSI and Gigabyte crap, they tend to cheap out on components and generally have low power limits.
Owning a PNY, I have to disagree. I see this misconception everywhere just because they aren't as popular a brand. The PCB is quite well made (reference), and the heatsink is more than adequate even after shunt modding the card, though the stock fans were typically mediocre. I'd talk about max OC's but all brands deal with silicon lottery. Take note PNY is one of the few AIBs ever to have made Quadros, so there is that.

They have the Ventus 3090 as well with 2x8-pin.

• Rep+
Reactions: jura11

·
Registered
47 Posts
Not a 3090 exactly on my case, but I have a 3080 TUF and there is no way to increase the power limit with VBIOS flash (It has a hard 350W limit with any VBIOS, even though the theorical max is 375W). The only way to increase it, is sadly shunt modding the card.

EDIT: Though the 3090 has the XOC 1000W VBIOS, it should give the TUF about 660-690W max.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Not a 3090 exactly on my case, but I have a 3080 TUF and there is no way to increase the power limit with VBIOS flash (It has a hard 350W limit with any VBIOS, even though the theorical max is 375W). The only way to increase it, is sadly shunt modding the card.

EDIT: Though the 3090 has the XOC 1000W VBIOS, it should give the TUF about 660-690W max.
All we need is a 1000W 3080 BIOS for the TUF.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I had more than 9 3090 (including the same ones) :

Absolute favorite : Galax HOF. Best cooler, performance and design. My current one.
Good : Strix (cooler is meh to be very fair) and FE
Avoid : FTW3 died in 4 days, also had issue with the power limit :ROFLMAO:

• Rep+

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So a big NO to EVGA then.
Galax seems unobtainium in Europe :D White Strix looks stunning though.

• Rep+

·
Registered
2,209 Posts

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@bl4ckdot
That HoF is gorgeous aswell, the price is in line with the current going prices, actually it's a bit lower. :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts