Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Old to Overclock.net
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on my PC and I left the room for a few minutes. When I came back my PC was unresponsive. So naturally I restarted. After reboot, I got the error message that my os was corrupted. Tried repairing, didn't work. So tried a new OS install and got error message saying that my storage device was MBR but needed to be GPT. Took out my Samsung M.2 put in my other PC and changed to GPT. Installed windows and my resolution was low right off. Highest res was 1080? I have a 2560x1440 32" MSI curved screen. So I went on to install video drivers but got error message saying my hardware wasn't compatible. This should have given me a clue that my graphics card was the issue but I've never had anything like this happen. I've had cards to fail in the past but it was obvious it was the card. This time I was thinking it was a software issue. So then I thought maybe I should check for updates since I had just reinstalled windows. So I updated. When all that was done I restarted and my screen was blank. This is when I started to think that maybe my 2080 was the problem. I installed an EVGA 1070 Hybrid I had laying around and this fixed my problem. I've had a couple of graphic cards fail me in the past but not like this. Never have I experienced error messages when they failed. Weird to me.

·
I Love this Hobby!
7,786 Posts
Many reports of these cards dying even from reviewers. And I see they still are. It's even a meme now.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I've had two EVGA 2080 Ti and one Aorus 2080 Ti Extreme die on me while overclocking. A sales person told me that the earlier versions had defects that killed the card and basically black screen.

·
Old to Overclock.net
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
No, I'm not using a bracket. It doesn't sag on my board.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
sad really, the quality of a gpu is terrible these days... we consumers are getting so ****ed. Ive had many nvidia and amd gpus die just randomly with ZERO OC's ever on them, yet I have a s3 virge in an old pentium machine still cranking duke3d going on ~24years now... just sayin

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Just had my second one die on me yesterday.
Not happy with these cards at all.
On startup I get reduced graphics and error 43 and can’t reinstall drivers at all. Same thing happened with both cards

·
I <3 narcissists
6,221 Posts
I got mine second hand for a really good price and I am starting to wonder if I should get rid of it while I can still make money off of it. If it dies I won't be able to use a warranty but I will only be out $650 so it isn't that big of a deal, but I could sell it and make enough money to pay for a 3700x and go back to using the RVII or 1080ti.

·
Premium Member
1,281 Posts
My condolences Dmhnc ~! Buzzkiller, for real!

Curious, You have a bracket on it?

A tech told me to try an arm like this for top tier cards, as ones included are not usually that great.

https://i.imgur.com/bZhQTxH.jpg

https://mnpctech.com/gpu-support-bracket/

Thank you for the referral, Rocklin! We make all of our custom parts in our family owned workshop, so it's very appreciated.

If you or anyone else on OCN needs anything, use my voucher code MNFAN at check for discount.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Well how does the GPU failing make all that other stuff have to be done after just to find out it's the GPU ? How does the MBR get messed up ?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Well how does the GPU failing make all that other stuff have to be done after just to find out it's the GPU ? How does the MBR get messed up ?
Possibly the GPU failed and crashed the machine at the exact point it was writing something critical to the disk ? It is kind of hard to know what happened after the fact as a hard crash will not write log files.

·
Old to Overclock.net
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Same here, strange. Anyways, Asus sent me another card and it seems to be fine at the moment. Funny thing is my Unique Heaven scores are a little higher than with my previous card. Might have to do with with settings not sure. I haven't really had much time to test very much sadly. Hope to get some time to tweak this rig and find it's sweet spot. I've never owned a rig this cutting edge before. In the past it's always been upper mid range at best. I try not to think about the cost. :/

·
PC Evangelist
46,721 Posts
As long as you have warranty all should be fine. Problem is only for people buying brands with transferable warranty.

·
Old to Overclock.net
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I changed some unnecessary hardware out If I remember correctly. The whole time it was a graphics card issue.

It's been good ever since Asus sent me another one. Been running great. I play RDR2 all maxed out on ultra settings. I was thinking about buying another and run SLi. Then I saw the prices! WTH? I have been out if the loop. Been into 1911 collecting lately.

Looks like I'm still good with my build.

·
Invalid Media
2,149 Posts
I have 2x 2080 Ti (custom PCB, factory w-blocked) since Dec '18, so far, so good...but generally, 2080 Tis ended up having a higher RMA rate than most other GPUs...some if not a lot of it related to early 'test escapes' NVidia owned up to. Doesn't explain all of it, mind you. I think keeping temps lower helps with these GPUs, not least as some can get close to / even exceed 400W at peak.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts