Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys I was just wondering, what are the rules of engagement as in... Army/Military.

and what are the rules of self defense. from what I hear it has to be equal??

So, for example. if one guys got a bat or somthing, you cant pull out a gun or somthing like that?

Im not exactly sure I heard somthing about that, but please. clear things up.

·
Registered
639 Posts
well there are things like the white flag rule (you shouldnt really shoot someone if they have it out)
there is the dont shoot unless you are shot upon first.
pow's are sappose to be released after the war
can't kill non-military personel.
THere are more, just google it when you get a chance.
as for self defense you can't really up from a bat to a gun. it shoudl be equal. its defense, not offense. So that would also mean they make the first move. hope that helped you out a little - I watch way too much tv.

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Rules of Engagement are more like the ethics of warfare and not issues of personal defense.

For example, not firing on non-combatants. This not only means civilians, but also enemy personnel who are strictly acting in a medical proficiency. CAVEAT: If those medical personnel are armed, then they are no longer under protection.

Other things that fall under this are prohibitions against glass bullets. (they are invisible on x-ray), use of landmines, treatment of POWs.

In regards to defense, there is no rule regarding "bringing a knife to a gun fight". If someone attacks your person, you have a right to self defense by whatever means available.

When two guys broke into my garage on new year's last year,(I can only guess that they thought no one was home) all they had were large screwdrivers. I was not inclined to set down my Wichester 1300 and pick up a screwdriver in the interest of "fairness."

·
Premium Member
4,325 Posts
2 corrections.

Even if a medic is armed, he is still considered a non-combatant until he fires that weapon at the enemy. Also, paratroopers are non-combatants until they hit the ground.

Secondly, the treatment of POWs is covered under the Geneva Conventions not ROE.

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chim3ra

2 corrections.

Even if a medic is armed, he is still considered a non-combatant until he fires that weapon at the enemy. Also, paratroopers are non-combatants until they hit the ground.

Secondly, the treatment of POWs is covered under the Geneva Conventions not ROE.

Yeah, what he said: [smacks noggin]. It's been so long since I've gotten those briefings...

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mjolnir

When two guys broke into my garage on new year's last year,(I can only guess that they thought no one was home) all they had were large screwdrivers. I was not inclined to set down my Wichester 1300 and pick up a screwdriver in the interest of "fairness."

(O/T) Yeah, I hear ya on that one! So what exactly happened?

·
Premium Member
2,687 Posts
I know not of the rules of engagement, but for self defense...

The laws differ from state to state and country to country. Here in Oregon there are no self defense laws. If someone hits you and you hit back both of you are charged with assult. Now in florida they recently passed a law saying you can shoot someone if you FEEL threatend.

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lando95

(O/T) Yeah, I hear ya on that one! So what exactly happened?

Like ****roaches when the lights come on.

One went E, one went W. I chased one for about a city block with a steady stream of R. Lee Ermey profanity until I got stickers in my bare feet. I just wanted to seem crazy enough that they wouldn't come back. They were high-school aged kids, just looking for something they could pawn, I guess. I think they picked my house cause it always looks like no one's home from the front, all the windows face the back yard.

Needless to say, the schh-chkk of racking the chamber was all the discussion the matter required.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts