Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, some friend is talking about flashing a mars 760 into GTX690 and geting all the cuda cores unlocked.
i hate this kind of Rumors .. i spent about 7 hours trying to find a trace for this news ... nothing out there .
here what he did say :
Quote:
asus used the same PCB of 690 and the same Gk 104 with full 1536 cores
the 2 cores on the mars 760 was not laser cut or hardware locked
the bios is the same as a 690 it's only modified to work with 1152 CUDA cores
put bios files into a hex editor , and you will find the same hex values and only the device ID is changed along with clocks and other stuff ...
this take us back to the GTX 465 flashed to 470 thru bios .
take a closer look to both PCB

if the mars 760 was fully locked you will never find the same compounds as GTX 690
to disable a part of the core in Gk 104 you have to cut up the power for that disabled part
you will find both card have the same power watts ...
flashing the mars 760 have the same process as the GTX465 to GTX 470
you will have all full 3072 cores but with more oc capacity thnx to asus power chokes
guys is this real
please check the card they are 100 % the same

mars 760

GTX 690

if anyone can confirme this or try to give me a mars 760 bios
i will buy a mars 760 and test this !!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Pretty good deal if it is true and confirmed.

·
Registered
330 Posts
3Ml73rQ.jpg

Power delivery is a lot different.

PSEeLbW.jpg

Different circuitry, should be obvious changes.

yaiS3k4.jpg

Chips aren't the same? Not sure if that is an nVidia serial number or not though.

M1nDeI1.jpg

Different circuitry.

Cool idea, but unlikely. (IMO)

·
Registered
808 Posts
i wouldnt think all the power delivery would need to be the same to unlock the cores. GTX690 were all nvidia reference boards where as the mars is a custom asus board so theres no reason they would be the same.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboMach1 View Post

i wouldnt think all the power delivery would need to be the same to unlock the cores. GTX690 were all nvidia reference boards where as the mars is a custom asus board so theres no reason they would be the same.
Good catch, that part of my post was directed at where the OP quoted that the PCB's are 100% the same.
thumb.gif

·
Never Finished
2,321 Posts
Well, if this is anything like the 69xx and 29x unlocks, then the pcb design doesn't matter. Only the GPU die itself will determine if the cores can be unlocked. Then again, I think I remember reading somewhere that someone was able to change the ssid/vid of the gtx 690 into a k5000 by messing around with the leads on the pcb (not actual cores or anything, just in name only), and then you have the GTX 465 -> 470 epidemic, so there is a chance that this is true. So if this is true, and it's only a bios limitation, this could be very good news for current mars 760 owners.

This also tells you how much NV marked up the GTX 690. The mars 760 has a better cooler and better pcb components, yet it's $250 cheaper than the reference 690. Why am I not surprised
rolleyes.gif

Anyone want to give it a try? Maybe someone could flash a mars 760 bios on their 690 and see what happens
biggrin.gif

·
8.2 liters
5,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airisom2 View Post

Only the GPU die itself will determine if the cores can be unlocked.
Did you look at the picture? The dies on the 760 MARS are GK104-225, which means they only have 1152 shader / 96 texture map units. The rumour in the OP is nonsense. If Asus would have had GK104-355 chips going spare, they wouldn't call it the MARS 760, it would have been closer to 2 x 770.
Quote:
Originally Posted by airisom2 View Post

This also tells you how much NV marked up the GTX 690. The mars 760 has a better cooler and better pcb components, yet it's $250 cheaper than the reference 690. Why am I not surprised
rolleyes.gif
GTX 690 has two chips with 1536 shaders and 128 texture map units, that's what you pay $250 extra for.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
it's driving me nuts , that he refuse to give me any more info about this !!
he owns a mars 760 ... yet
i hate to call him lier or a big troller

the gpu codes are the same as GTX 760 single core
GK104-225 A2

this is the 3000 cores Features a 20 Phase VRM and full GK104 cores unlocked

mars 760 Features only 10 Phase VRM

1 - 20 of 43 Posts