Overclock.net banner

Run GPU on selected days and times.

6033 11
Hey everyone,

Been a long time and I am slowly starting back into Boinc! I am trying to figure out if it is possible to set my GPU to run on certain days and times while leaving the CPU crunching 24/7? I have looked through different settings in the app_config but I have not seen what I was looking for and was hoping that someone here would have a suggestion. The only thing I thought would work would be to use the exclusive applications option and then use something like windows task scheduler to start and stop a program at my specified time and days, but if there is something simpler that would be great.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Premium Member
You can suspend a project via terminal/CMD with boinccmd

That can be setup to run as a Scheduled task at certain times of the day. One to start, another to stop.

Or setup a 2nd client just for the GPU and use BOINC Manager/BOINCTasks Daily Manager to stop all processing on the 2nd GPU only client.

Premium Member
Moved the thread into the main forum, and I agree with @mmonnin that using boinccmd along with the Windows Task Scheduler should be a pretty simple way to auto start and stop GPU projects. The only caveat would be if you wanted to run CPU and GPU apps from the same project. I use boinccmd to do most everything.

Here's a quick example for Einstein:
Code:
boinccmd --host localhost --project http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/ suspend
boinccmd --host localhost --project http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/ resume
You can grab the main project URL from the client_state.xml file in your BOINC data directory.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got the GPU installed and crunching tonight and I will try the --set_gpu_mode option in the morning. Thank you @tictoc for testing it out for me! I am only running a 280x for now, but I am going to be building a new computer soon once I get some parts :).

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will have to try out Milkway after these collatz tasks finish and see how it does. I got the task scheduler set up and it worked perfectly!! I have some custom schedules set up for during the week now for my GPU.

I am happy to be back! :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.