Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I like to play runescape once in a while, but I get this weird CPU Usage/hog problem whenever I play. I'll have nothing else running except my browser, and runescape, and when I start playing my CPU usage immediately goes up to 60 -80 %. I have all my settings in game set to low, and it still does this.

I am playing on my sig rig, and I get lower CPU usages when running L4D with max settings. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Java, as that is the platform it runs on, and I've tried using different browsers. All give me no results. :S anyone having this same problem/ know of a solution?

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've seen it use less resources on my friends netbook, so I don't know, maybe my CPU is going on this thing... Sad, because I've only had it for about 4 months :\\

·
Long Time Lurker
936 Posts
Well, I can say that it's unplayable on my netbook, and is a bit choppy on my sig rig.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chandlermaki View Post
Well, I can say that it's unplayable on my netbook, and is a bit choppy on my sig rig.
haha, is that a troll attempt?

·
Premium Member
3,314 Posts
only post once...... don't double post (or triple post in your case). Read the TOS, you are only allowed to post twice in a row every 24 hrs.

I have no idea about your problem though, I don't play runescape, but I can tell you your cpu is not going, the usage wouldn't just go up like that if it was dying.

·
Long Time Lurker
936 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by FattyMcFatFatFatty View Post
haha, is that a troll attempt?
No, that's honesty.

RS is completely unplayable on my netbook, as the CPU usage ramps up to 100%.

Even on my sig rig the game doesn't run all that well. Only at about 30FPS.

I'm not sure what made you think I was trolling, but okay...

I highly doubt your CPU is dying, by the way. It's really diffucult to kill a CPU these days.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chandlermaki View Post
No, that's honesty.

RS is completely unplayable on my netbook, as the CPU usage ramps up to 100%.

Even on my sig rig the game doesn't run all that well. Only at about 30FPS.

I'm not sure what made you think I was trolling, but okay...
Oh sorry, I thought you were joking, runescape is supposed to be a game that can be played on like any computer so I figured you might be trolling... my bad

·
Premium Member
3,314 Posts
Quote:

Oh sorry, I thought you were joking, runescape is supposed to be a game that can be played on like any computer so I figured you might be trolling... my bad
Well, it used to be....

·
Long Time Lurker
936 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by muels7 View Post
Well, it used to be....
The switch to OpenGL rendering changed that.

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
its a known issue and they are working on it

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Wow, runescape changed a lot since the last time I played it, 7 years ago. Back then it was like, "you haz them 256mb RAMZ n P2 processor??" "Yezz" "You canz plai it"

·
Registered
249 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xenthos View Post
Wow, runescape changed a lot since the last time I played it, 7 years ago. Back then it was like, "you haz them 256mb RAMZ n P2 processor??" "Yezz" "You canz plai it"
Lol, How old is runescape anyways? o_O

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by epictoast View Post
lol, how old is runescape anyways? o_O
rs 1 = 1998,
rs 2 = 2001.

EDIT: holy cr*p, I just tried it, it took a while to load everything and it's using 25% of my processor just looking at the boot screen.

·
GWAMM
2,015 Posts
Quote:

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Java, as that is the platform it runs on, and I've tried using different browsers. All give me no results. :S
Tried their own browser/client?
Windows Client

Probably won't make much of a difference but it's worth a shot.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

rs 1 = 1998,
rs 2 = 2001.

EDIT: holy cr*p, I just tried it, it took a while to load everything and it's using 25% of my processor just looking at the boot screen.
Yeah, i've been playing off and on since '99, where it could be run off basically anything, so this newer version of runescape that actually requires some kind of decent CPU/GPU has me flabbergasted, haha. I wasn't even aware that they switched to OpenGL.

Quote:
Tried their own browser/client?
Windows Client

Probably won't make much of a difference but it's worth a shot.
No, I haven't tried their windows client, as I dont play that much haha, I guess i'll give it a shot though.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Quote:

Yeah, i've been playing off and on since '99, where it could be run off basically anything, so this newer version of runescape that actually requires some kind of decent CPU/GPU has me flabbergasted, haha. I wasn't even aware that they switched to OpenGL.
Yea, those were the days. Nostalgia.

They shouldn't have done that. I think browser games are either leight weight or non existent, browser gaming has it's limits and I think RS reached (read : passed) that limit.
If they'd make this game on a proper game engine and make the client downloadable the game wouldn't even use 1/3th of what it does now, this is however a bad thing for their player base, they rely on 6-12 year olds who just want to come home from school, go to the RS site and have fun, without having to cope with the 'troublesome' installing and updating of their favorite game. Well imho ofcourse

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

Yea, those were the days. Nostalgia.

They shouldn't have done that. I think browser games are either leight weight or non existent, browser gaming has it's limits and I think RS reached (read : passed) that limit.
If they'd make this game on a proper game engine and make the client downloadable the game wouldn't even use 1/3th of what it does now, this is however a bad thing for their player base, they rely on 6-12 year olds who just want to come home from school, go to the RS site and have fun, without having to cope with the 'troublesome' installing and updating of their favorite game. Well imho ofcourse

Yeah i definitely agree that rs has reached its browser limits haha. oh man, me and my friend were actually talking about that (too be off topic of the matter), and we were saying that they should make a buyable first person mmo version of RS that uses a better engine. We were thinking that that would be quite epic.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Quote:

Yeah i definitely agree that rs has reached its browser limits haha. oh man, me and my friend were actually talking about that (too be off topic of the matter), and we were saying that they should make a buyable first person mmo version of RS that uses a better engine. We were thinking that that would be quite epic.
Indeed it would.

Unfortunately, the game would enter an entirely different level of games, one that is already saturated with thousands of mmorpg's. So they'd either need to revamp the graphics, improve the game play or make it partly free. Because, at this moment, neither the graphics nor the game play are (respectively) stunning/adapted to compete with the current mmorpg's, they would however benefit from their massive player database, and many others willing to come back if this ever happened.

Creating a game engine to replicate a 12 year old java game however, would be very expensive and time consuming. Even if they'd start right now it would take ages to create a game and it's engine. Unless of course they'd buy a license to use one that is already existent. In which case they could release the game way sooner, but their entire crew of java programmers and their fleet of servers would be useless, obviously those java gurus would be able to learn a programming language like C++ very easily, since C++ is the mother of java and often used to create games, but the servers would be pretty outdated and incapable of running the amount of servers that they do now.

In the end it all comes down to how much money they'd have to invest in this and the amount of money they'd earn, which won't be a lot, certainly not at the start. Which is a common truth for every mmorpg these days.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts