Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
specs:

i7 3770K
2x reference MSi R9 290's
EVGA SuperNOVA G2 1000w
Asus Sabertooth z77

Ok, so I've had more than 99 issues with crossfire, and up until a 2nd windows reload, this DEFINITELY wasn't one...

Got a second r9 290 for christmas.
Everything went bad pretty fast, and because I thought it was a driver conflict, and me only partially deleting drivers beforehand I reinstalled windows.

During my 1st reload, everything went bad for a while as well. Eventually I learned it was most likely ULPS, so I disabled it and pow! My system was running amazingly, Was getting 150fps in bf4 at max, 70 at max in crysis, 180 in bl tps, etc....... Aaaaaaand then I started experiencing crashes, hangs, etc. when I rebooted my pc. It started off as games crashing, and then it turned into my whole computer hanging until I forced shut down via power button. I couldn't find a fix and relied on reloading. I reinstalled my windows for the 2nd time, last night. after I got everything installed, I reinstalled GPU-Z to see this....

(Main card - New card)

(2nd card - Old card)

my older card running like it's a 290x.
I bought that card brand new back in august, and haven't attempted to flash it's bios AT ALL.
The only thing I've actually done is overclocked it via MSi ab, and that doesn't even RELATE to flashing the card's bios. My new card I bought (used - like new) from a trusted vendor. Nothing sketchy at all.

So why & how exactly did this happen? As far as I know the reference MSi r9 290's didn't even have capability of being flashed to r90x's. I'm confused and I don't know what to do at this point. I can't run any games without them hanging, and my computer isn't stable anymore.

`I want to confirm that both of these cards work fine on their own, in the top slot, and the 2nd slot.
`Heat is not the issue at all, they both run with a maximum of 80c (which is perfectly safe for the r9 290(x) series.
`when I was running them overclocked in my 1st reload of windows I was running with a Power limit of 20+, core clock of 1050, mem clock of 1350, and fan speed at 75% (it never reached 85c) Although I'm not running them overclocked now.
`ULPS is disabled (through registry)
`I have the latest drivers
`When I installed windows, I installed with only one r9 290 in the system, and once I had all of the drivers installed, I then installed the 2nd.

·
New to OCN?
26,919 Posts
Try every card in the first and 2nd slot and check if you can play with each fine then try each bios and every power connector in case one of the cables isnt good

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacGTX View Post

Try every card in the first and 2nd slot and check if you can play with each fine then try each bios and every power connector in case one of the cables isnt good
Alright, will do, I'll be back in a bit with my results. Thank you
smile.gif

·
I took this profile pic
3,964 Posts
Well if you have 2 cards then just run them at stock speeds. There's no real benefit to overclocking a crossfire setup especially high performing cards like 290s. That might not be the issue but I think that's a good thing to do anyways.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
GPU-Z shows one of my 290's as a 290X as well. Every now and again, it'll fix up and show 2 x 290's so I'm pretty sure it's just a bug
smile.gif

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Each card ran fine by themselves, in different slots, with different cables, etc. My r9 290 is now appearing as it should be again. I'm about to try crossfire again, and see how it performs. I'll be back with my results.

·
New to OCN?
26,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vobruh View Post

Each card ran fine by themselves, in different slots, with different cables, etc. My r9 290 is now appearing as it should be again. I'm about to try crossfire again, and see how it performs. I'll be back with my results.
it could be your psu. or maybe some windows update

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post

Gpuz is not always accurate but its generally close enough.
Quote:

it could be your psu. or maybe some windows update
not a windows update, running a fresh installation of windows, and I installed all updates from windows update before I even installed ccc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede View Post

Many of the ref cards were originally 290x's when supply was low. Its known that some 290's came with a 290x bios
The issue fixed itself. idk. After I finished benchmarking my new card, and I installed my old card to benchmark it. I opened gpu-z and it appeared as it should.

My issue now is that when I go into games both gpu's will rise with a similar load, but then after a few seconds the gpu usages will become mismatched i.e. One card will sit at 100% while the other will sit at 0-10%, and then they'll switch so that the opposite gpu is sitting at 100%, and the one that was at 100% is now sitting at 0-10%. Any ideas?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

I knew something was up, because it just didn't add up. Everything should be working fine, so I did some digging, and it turns out I was wrong. My bios ISN'T up to date like I thought it was. I'm about to flash it to the most updated bios, let's pray to the OCN admins that I don't brick my system.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vobruh View Post

I knew something was up, because it just didn't add up. Everything should be working fine, so I did some digging, and it turns out I was wrong. My bios ISN'T up to date like I thought it was. I'm about to flash it to the most updated bios, let's pray to the OCN admins that I don't brick my system.
Successfully flashed my bios, I'm going to manually uninstall EVERYTHING amd/ati, then reinstall with only one card, once again. This should fix the issue... hopefully. I'm thinking it was just the bios not playing nice with the cards when they're together.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trojan92 View Post

GPU-Z shows one of my 290's as a 290X as well. Every now and again, it'll fix up and show 2 x 290's so I'm pretty sure it's just a bug
smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post

Gpuz is not always accurate but its generally close enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede View Post

I had ur same problem which is why I sold my 290x. I had a 290 and a 290x tho and they ended support for same series crossfire. U gotta be same type now. So it can't be x version with non x

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/Crossfire-Chart.aspx&sa=U&ei=iqapVJPeCMqANtSbgrAO&ved=0CAsQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNEr0cl5IJmOxYDlQ8N7zExAVe1PNA
hahahahahah! I fixed it! Wish I knew the issue last week... I would've had this fixed in less than an hour... Literally, all I needed to do was update my bios!!! It was just the PCIe lanes not communicating correctly! Rip all that is luv, rip all that is lyf. Thank you guys so much for your recommendations!
biggrin.gif
And thank you for trying to help me diagnose the cause and fix this massive issue.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts