Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I installed 2x1gb Crucial Ballistix DDR500 RAM but I'm running them @ DDR400. It's rated at 2.8V with 3-4-4-8 timings. Do I need to set the voltage to 2.8 even @ DDR400? And can someone please describe what each number is in the timings are. I know the 3 in 3-4-4-8 represents CAS Latency, what about 4-4-8? I really don't know what to set my memory in BIOS at. Thanks for taking the time to help.

·
Premium Member
2,500 Posts
Since you are currently running the memory at ddr400 though rated at ddr500 you could drop the vdimm a bit but more favored would be leave the vdimm where it is and tighten the timings up since amd cpus like tight timings while intel doesnt realy care about timings. Heres a faq to hopefull answer all your questions about what all numbers mean http://www.overclock.net/faqs/26706-...s-dummies.html

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Depending on how high you push the CPU OC you may need to up the voltage.
The RAM speed increases along with the CPU bus speed, so tightening the timings will reduce the overall OCing of the RAM as will the lower voltage setting.

BTW, get CPU-Z @ www.cpuid.com to compare your RAM timings and other things!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright under SPD tab in cpuz it says timings table 250mhz 3-4-4-10

And when I go to the Memory tab it says 201mhz 3-4-3-8.

I get the "200mhz" 3-4-3-8 timings when I set to optimized default in bios. Now the strange thing is on crucial.com website, the memory's timings are 3-4-4-8. http://www.crucial.com/store/partspe...L2KIT12864Z503

Just to let you guys know, I've run memorytest86 for 1 hour 44 mins on the 3-4-4-8 timings, passed. Ran 2.753ghz OC with 3-4-4-8 timing on prime95 for 4 1/2 hours fine. So my question is, what should I set my timings at?

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Make it run at DDR500 (250FSB) and 3-3-3-8, it should say on crucial site and on the ram itself and 2.8v.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by OCZedd
Make it run at DDR500 (250FSB) and 3-3-3-8, it should say on crucial site and on the ram itself and 2.8v.
Where'd you get 3-3-3-8 from? The website says 3-4-4-8.

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lord cisor

Alright under SPD tab in cpuz it says timings table 250mhz 3-4-4-10

And when I go to the Memory tab it says 201mhz 3-4-3-8.

I get the "200mhz" 3-4-3-8 timings when I set to optimized default in bios. Now the strange thing is on crucial.com website, the memory's timings are 3-4-4-8. http://www.crucial.com/store/partspe...L2KIT12864Z503

Just to let you guys know, I've run memorytest86 for 1 hour 44 mins on the 3-4-4-8 timings, passed. Ran 2.753ghz OC with 3-4-4-8 timing on prime95 for 4 1/2 hours fine. So my question is, what should I set my timings at?

The 3-4-3-8 ... what are the posted timings at DDR400 in the SPD tab of CPU-Z? The timings will tighten up in lower speeds, that is what the SPD does, set timings at various common default speeds.

What I don't know is what speed the RAM was running @ when you had an OC of 2.735GHz. So, I can't offer much if an opinnion on what timings to use.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Regardless of what FSB I'm running the SPD tab will say 250mhz 3-4-4-10. My motherboard defaults the RAM @ 200mhz 3-4-3-8, when I manually set everything back to default.

I'm tired of messing with it. My BF2 runs @ 99.9 FPS(max set to 99.9 FPS), and 95-99FPS under load. My guess is the 3-4-4-8 timings @ 250mhz are fine.

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lord cisor

Regardless of what FSB I'm running the SPD tab will say 250mhz 3-4-4-10. My motherboard defaults the RAM @ 200mhz 3-4-3-8, when I manually set everything back to default.

I'm tired of messing with it. My BF2 runs @ 99.9 FPS(max set to 99.9 FPS), and 95-99FPS under load. My guess is the 3-4-4-8 timings @ 250mhz are fine.

SPD timings have nothing to do with how fast your memory is running. Use CPU-Z.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do use cpu-z, and have used it since forever. If you've read the previous posts, I stated that the speed timing of the memory was set to 3-4-3-8 when I set everything to default in bios. When I do that, the memory is set to DDR400 with 3-4-3-8 timings. I manually set the speed to 250mhz and 3-4-4-8. k thx.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by OCZedd
It would be worthless to OC the ram if the chip isnt OC'd. You get no gain with a higher memory clock on a stock chip.

pink

·
Premium Member
10,417 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Pink57
It would be worthless to OC the ram if the chip isnt OC'd. You get no gain with a higher memory clock on a stock chip.

pink
Hey DOS Fuegos...and yes P57 told you what is the truth...OC RAM and not the PC is a not-gonna-get-anywhere

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Pink57

pink
why is it worthless?, memory timings and clocks do make a difference on a stock CPU, it is only the memory speed thats higher, and all memory sensitive programs will benefit from it. Like a graphics card only works for games and will notice not much speed increase, (in XP). the only downside is, that your gonna have to find the best setting for the multiplier and divider, in your system....but correct me if im wrong....

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Your CPU has to try and keep up with your RAM and its getting nowhere fast my man. Tighter timings I say go for but forget trying to OC the ram without the CPU.

Prob I swear you are following me lol

pink

·
Premium Member
10,417 Posts
And a stock CPU speed with some tweaks elsewhere...is running fast?
I hope that is a hypothesis and not a conclusion...

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
On a o/ced conroe or allendale chip timmings dont matter SOO much but on a AMD 64 chip then timmings are everything for speed ..To get the best out of the ram and chip the fsb needs to be set at 250mhz then your ram will run at it,s stock settings ..TRY THIS multi lower to 10 set fsb to 250 dont alter v-core as yet ...This will allow your ram to run at it,s stock values of ddr 500

1 - 18 of 18 Posts