Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A few people wanted to know how to run GSAT on Windows 10 so I thought it might be easier to make a thread rather than explaining every time.

GSAT (Google stress app test) is what Google use to test their server stability from what I understand so it is certainly worth adding to the toolbox.
This is not just for testing overclocks but is an excellent way to test system stability, especially if your PC does something odd occasionally.

I really have very little in depth knowledge on the subject but I will post up what has worked for me and if anyone would like me to add anything just post it below.

1)First thing to do is get Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) installed and enabled on your PC. https://www.windowscentral.com/install-windows-subsystem-linux-windows-10
The Microsoft store method is popular but I had to download and install the distro (I chose ubuntu) manually due to not having the store installed.

When making the password for the first time you won't see the cursor moving but make sure to remember which keys you are pressing. It IS working although you can't see it. This caught me out.

2)After installing the linux version of your choice execute the following code to get GSAT installed and ready to run.
Code:
sudo apt update
sudo apt install stressapptest
Note: If the install code doesn't work try replacing "apt" with "apt-get" for older versions and also use "sudo apt upgrade" to upgrade all installed packages.

3)Commands to run GSAT for 2 or 1 hours for 16GB ram
Code:
stressapptest -W -M 13312 -s 7200 --pause_delay 14400
stressapptest -W -M 13312 -s 3600 --pause_delay 14400
One little trick I found is after you have run it once you only need open your version of linux with the shortcut you created and hit the "up arrow" and "enter" to start it running again. Makes it very convenient if you are tuning your ram and voltages.

Make the --pause_delay any number larger than the runtime since it is not needed in a home desktop eg: -s 7200 --pause_delay 14400

If you want me to add lines for 32GB and 64GB tests etc please post in the comments :)

This is a work in progress so please help me correct any mistakes I have made. Thank you.

Suggestions from @Paradigm Shifter https://www.overclock.net/forum/18051-memory/1747674-running-gsat-windows-10-windows-subsystem-linux-wsl.html#post28449876

Below is an image of what it looks like running. I know some people expect a fantastic GUI but this is what it is :p

Here is a link to running GSAT from a USB if preferred https://www.overclock.net/forum/18051-memory/1718166-gsat-google-stressful-application-test-tiny-bootable-linux-iso.html

Attachments

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
"sudo apt update stressapptest"
You don't need this command and it should result in an error message from apt. :)

• Rep+
Reactions: munternet

·
Registered
242 Posts
A few people wanted to know how to run GSAT on Windows 10 so I thought it might be easier to make a thread to link to rather than explaining every time.

GSAT (Google stress app test) is what Google use to test their server stability from what I understand so it is certainly worth adding to the toolbox.

I really have very little in depth knowledge on the subject but I will post up what has worked for me and if anyone would like me to add anything just post it below.

First thing to do is get Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) installed and enabled on your PC. https://www.windowscentral.com/install-windows-subsystem-linux-windows-10
The Microsoft store method is popular but I had to download and install the distro I chose (ubuntu) manually due to not having the store installed.

When making the password for the first time you won't see the cursor moving but make sure to remember which keys you are pressing. It IS working although you can't see it. This caught me out.

After installing the linux version of your choice these are the lines I executed to get get GSAT installed and ready to run. I will no doubt get some advice on what I have done wrong and do some fine tuning on the instructions later, but for now this is a start :)
If someone would like to give an explanation of each line I will add it in brackets after and give rep :)

"sudo apt-get update"
"sudo apt-get upgrade" (try without this one first)
"sudo apt-get install stressapptest"
"sudo apt update stressapptest"

Commands to run GSAT for 2 or 1 hours for 16GB ram

stressapptest -W -M 13312 -s 7200 --pause_delay 14400
stressapptest -W -M 13312 -s 3600 --pause_delay 14400

One little trick I found is after you have run it once you only need open your version of linux with the shortcut you created and hit the "up arrow" and "enter" to start it running again. Makes it very convenient if you are tuning your ram and voltages.

If you want me to add lines for 32GB and 64GB tests etc please post in the comments :)

This is a work in progress so please help me correct any mistakes I have made. Thank you.

Below is an image of what it looks like running. I know some people expect a fantastic GUI but this is what it is :p

Here is a link to running GSAT from a USB if preferred https://www.overclock.net/forum/18051-memory/1718166-gsat-google-stressful-application-test-tiny-bootable-linux-iso.html
Any reason you don't use -W -s 3600 like the original poster in the intel DDR4 OC thread suggested? Looks like you -M flag for specifying the amount of RAM to test, and I am not sure what the -pause_delay flag does. Just wondering. I am currently just using -W -s 3600. *EDIT* Think I may have figured out why. After the first power spike, it seemed to have hung... forever? I am not really sure, it just never started going again. I googled a bit and found someone earlier on in the DDR4 OC Thread that said to try: stressapptest -W -M 28672 -s 3600 --pause_delay 3700 so I am giving that a go...

• Rep+
Reactions: munternet

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You don't need this command and it should result in an error message from apt. :)
Thanks for that :)
If I get a confirmation from someone trying to follow these instructions I will alter it. It's good that they can read your comment :thumb:

Any reason you don't use -W -s 3600 like the original poster in the intel DDR4 OC thread suggested? Looks like you -M flag for specifying the amount of RAM to test, and I am not sure what the -pause_delay flag does. Just wondering. I am currently just using -W -s 3600. *EDIT* Think I may have figured out why. After the first power spike, it seemed to have hung... forever? I am not really sure, it just never started going again. I googled a bit and found someone earlier on in the DDR4 OC Thread that said to try: stressapptest -W -M 28672 -s 3600 --pause_delay 3700 so I am giving that a go...
Post your final line once you get it sorted and I'll add it to the list :thumb:

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Thanks for that :)
If I get a confirmation from someone trying to follow these instructions I will alter it. It's good that they can read your comment :thumb:
To be more precise, the error should be:
Code:
E: The update command takes no arguments
I tried it in my WSL install and got that error, but third-party confirmation is a good thing. :)

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To be more precise, the error should be:
Code:
E: The update command takes no arguments
I tried it in my WSL install and got that error, but third-party confirmation is a good thing. :)
If you could post a list of all the required commands and I will do a test install on another machine to confirm then amend the list, that would be great :)

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
If you could post a list of all the required commands and I will do a test install on another machine to confirm then amend the list, that would be great :)
:)

There's a little debate around using apt or apt-get; I've tended to use apt since 18.04, although both are present.

With WSL set up (a la the link you provided) I just changed my hostname (prefer seeing it in lowercase) which actually has to be done in Windows Settings... (not needed, just an aesthetic thing)

Then standard protocol to check for updates, download and install updates and install stressapptest.

Code:
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
sudo apt install stressapptest
Then run with whatever parameters you want. :)

A oneliner would be:

Code:
sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y && sudo apt install stressapptest -y
The -y's just autoconfirm that you want to proceed. Not generally advised, just in case it does something you don't expect.

Edit: because my brain was moving faster than my fingers. Doh!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Posted in wrong thread... if a mod comes along, delete this please :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts