Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't sure how to word this question, so searching didn't bring much back.

I just started in the Intro to C course at my University. They basically have us using PuTTY and running the linux shell off of our school's server.

We also have a whopping two computers in the lab that have Red Hat Linux installed on them. I ended up sitting at one of these computers, and I realized how much better the native terminal is. Mouse support, bracket match highlighting, coloring, etc.

I'm wondering if there's a way to get the same style of terminal in Windows. I was hoping to find a quick and easy solution other than dual-booting Linux.

That brings up another question. Does Ubuntu have the same style terminal? I wouldn't be against dual-booting it, or any other Linux distro for that matter, down the line.

·
Premium Member
7,711 Posts
Just about every single Linux distro I can think of off hand uses Bash.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I believe there's something called Cygwin that is basically a linux shell inside windows. I'll do some research on it though.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Just install cygwin. That's what I use at work. Place the path/to/bin in your environment variable(path) and your done. You can use most all of the bash commands. Putty sucks btw.

attachment.php?attachmentid=190940&stc=1&d=1295367041

attachment.php?attachmentid=190941&stc=1&d=1295367386

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Yeah you could try cygWin, or a VM. Ubuntu's terminal is called BASH (Bourne Again Shell). Linux terminal is pure awesome. Can you run a windows server using only command line?

Yeah I didn't think so.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dham;12053821
Just install cygwin. That's what I use at work. Place the path/to/bin in your environment variable(path) and your done. You can use most all of the bash commands. Putty sucks btw.

http://www.overclock.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=190940&stc=1&d=1295367041
How so?

·
Registered
333 Posts
OT: I agree cygwin is pretty good and useful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor_Jesus;12053874
Yeah you could try cygWin, or a VM. Ubuntu's terminal is called BASH (Bourne Again Shell). Linux terminal is pure awesome. Can you run a windows server using only command line?

Yeah I didn't think so.

EDIT:

How so?
Actually you can to a certain degree. I do not know of a way to install it without the graphical interface but pretty much anything you can do on the graphical end can be done from a command prompt. I cannot think of 1 operation that cannot be done on windows server command line especially with powershell.

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Definitely cygwin or run a vm with some linux distro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dham;12053821
???

Something leads me to believe you have no idea what you are talking about.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Quote:

Yeah I didn't think so.

EDIT:

How so?
Umm. Well for what I would use it for(I did for a while) it's kind of pointless. Telnet. done. ssh. done. serial. done. All you have to do is get ssh.exe through cygwin and move hyperterminal from xp. You can install telnet from add/remove features. Done. Now you can do everything from command line. You don't have to open up a separate ugly gui to do those things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtascox;12054470
Definitely cygwin or run a vm with some linux distro.

???

Something leads me to believe you have no idea what you are talking about.
See above. Trust me guys I do this all the time at work.

·
Premium Member
4,258 Posts
Quote:
Can you run a windows server using only command line?
Yes you can. It's called a Server Core install and all you get as a UI is PowerShell. Server Core installations are designed to greatly reduce the attack surface of the Windows server.

Server2008install03.png

For those searching for a more more full-featured Windows SSH utility than PuTTy, check out SecureCRT.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Haven't heard of cygwin but using Ubuntu in a virtual machine would negate the need for dual boot, just boot the VM when needed.

virtualbox.org has a free virtual machine emulator and of course all linux distros are free, but the most popular are ubuntu or debian, both of which use bash. Ubuntu is the easiest to use.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by herkalurk;12054678
Haven't heard of cygwin but using Ubuntu in a virtual machine would negate the need for dual boot, just boot the VM when needed.

virtualbox.org has a free virtual machine emulator and of course all linux distros are free, but the most popular are ubuntu or debian, both of which use bash. Ubuntu is the easiest to use.
That's what I used to do but then it got to tedious every time I needed to add a new email account or something, I had to open virtual box just to use ssh. That's when I went to putty. Then eventually went to cygwin.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Master Chief
View Post

You dont like Putty.exe?

I do

Cool story. I like ssh.exe, telnet.exe, and hypertrm.exe.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies. I said screw it and stuck Ubuntu on with VirtualBox. I was always put off by the thought of messing with virtual machines or dual boots, for whatever reason. This was surprisingly and refreshingly simple. I'm such a happy camper right now.

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dham
View Post

Umm. Well for what I would use it for(I did for a while) it's kind of pointless. Telnet. done. ssh. done. serial. done. All you have to do is get ssh.exe through cygwin and move hyperterminal from xp. You can install telnet from add/remove features. Done. Now you can do everything from command line. You don't have to open up a separate ugly gui to do those things.

I've been using putty ssh every day for the past 4 years. I save countless connection setups and key files which means I can spend more time doing what I need to do versus trying to remember IP's and where my keys are.

I guess if you don't use putty's features then I can understand where you are coming from but that doesn't mean you can say that putty sucks just because you don't use it's features.

·
Introibo Ad Altar Dei
2,066 Posts
so thats what cygwin does
hehehe I'm still a Linux noob for the most part, but I finally started getting into CentOS for our phone server at work and I set up ArchLinux from scratch in a virtual box with Xorg and Openbox recently. It's awesome, pacman package manager rules.

I use Putty all the time at work for our database redhat servers, it aint bad. I kinda like the mind-numbing neon green.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xtascox
View Post

I've been using putty ssh every day for the past 4 years. I save countless connection setups and key files which means I can spend more time doing what I need to do versus trying to remember IP's and where my keys are.

I guess if you don't use putty's features then I can understand where you are coming from but that doesn't mean you can say that putty sucks just because you don't use it's features.

That's what batch files are for.

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Quote:

View Post

That's what batch files are for.

What if you don't have time to write batch files because you have one million other things to do? I'm glad that you have enough free time in your job to do that.

I don't understand why you hate putty so much, it makes things quick for people who have more important things to do than write batch files for connections.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Quote:

View Post

So basically you're recommending a full-blown cygwin install over a ~300K standalone executable, and enable Telnet? And the GUI is only ugly for a few seconds, until you actually connect. Then it's a good old shell again. How about when I have to ssh into a server from a station I don't normally work at? You expect me to go out and install/configure cygWin so I can ssh? I'd be better off walking into the server room and sitting down at a hard-wired terminal. I know you can set it up on USB, but what if I forget that at the office? I can keep putty on the network/redownload it in about 5 seconds. Don't see that with cygWin.

cygWin is great, but if you are promoting it over putty for remote connections, then I'm not sure what you're on. If anything deserves the title of "best ssh client", it's SecureCRT, but you have to pay. Now, I can understand if you are living in a cygwin environment 99% of the time, but otherwise it's kind of pointless to say that cygwin is better than putty for remote connections.

Let it also be known that I'm a huge command line freak. My house server is commandline, and the linux server I set up at school is command line.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts