Overclock.net banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys... I was just about to setup my rig on the desk (please don't ask why) and I was wondering if there is any special grounding or shielding needed? I was planning on just setting the actual motherboard on a thin piece of foam on the counter. Will this be OK? Might the foam melt to the motherboard? Should I put it on an anti-static bag too? I've never done this before and I don't want to find out what happens the hard way

·
Registered
604 Posts
The foam should be fine... You could put the anti-static bag there if it will make you feel better about it.

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
I think you should just put some cardboard under the mobo... easiest option if you ask me

·
Registered
604 Posts
Cool... My cousin's husband runs the server for his house like that. He's never had problems running it that way except for their one cat wanting to jump on it.

·
Registered
897 Posts
What is the temp of you computer now? any advantages to running it out of the case? One thing to consider though is you'll have to clean it more often, to get the dust that would normally settle on the case, but now onto the motherboard directly.

·
Premium Member
8,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin_tsoi2000

What is the temp of you computer now? any advantages to running it out of the case? One thing to consider though is you'll have to clean it more often, to get the dust that would normally settle on the case, but now onto the motherboard directly.

So far the cpu temp is about 2C lower and the video card is 10C lower. Not a big difference but it's going back in the box as soon as my MATX mobo comes back from RMA.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts