Overclock.net banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I've tried the red mod on my R9 290X and something went wrong. Basically, after 3 days of trying to do the mod and get it correctly, I finally did. I had idle in the low 20s and I ran the GPU-Z render test (not very stressful I know) and it maxed 30c. Then I ran Valley benchmark, 5 seconds later my computer shutdown. Since then my video card doesn't display anymore. I thought I might have cracked the die because I applied more pressure to get the contact best, but I didn't. The card is perfect. I'm pretty sure the card is dead now but I want to be completely sure before I throw it in the garbage.

I've tried many things so far but none worked. Here is a list of things I've tried doing:

- Resetting bios to default
- Clearing CMOS
- Tried other 6/8 pins cables (my psu is modular)
- Another PCI-E

Anyone has any input? The weird thing is that the motherboard doesn't even beep. IGP works fine. But when I disable it, my computer gets stuck on the code 64 (debug led), which itself isn't even an error code but a procedure in the boot. 63-67 is CPU DXE initialization is started according to the motherboard manual. Unfortunately I sold all my other video cards so I don't have any to test, but I will soon. My dad is changing his motherboard/cpu/hardrive so I will try his hd4350 in my computer. If it doesn't work either than it probably isn't my gpu. I'm not even going to RMA because I don't care, plus believe it or not but DIAMOND asks for the receipt, and the thing is that I bought a 290 and got a 290x. PLUS my reference cooler is moded and stuff so buying a reference cooler just to rma is meh.

Thanks for help!
smile.gif

Edit: more infos,,, when I touch the heatpipe on the gpu they are warm. Also the monitoring software don't even detect the card, even tho it's plugged in.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the card is really dead. Tried a 4350 in there and it worked fine. I don't know if I should either sell this card as not working on ebay, or RMA. If I RMA I would have to buy a reference cooler on ebay, with shipping and all the crap it could go up to 50$. Plus shipping it for RMA, maybe another 20$. Last time I do these ghetto mods on such an expensive gpu!! Now I have these two high speed gentle typhoon and antec 920 cooler doing nothing. I don't know if I should keep spending money on this gpu honestly, it's probably going to be outdated as soon as nvidia releases the new gen anyways.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.