Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my dad's stock Dell PSU crapped out and he wants something local and accessible (aka Best Buy) to have it replaced tomorrow. I suggested just waiting and picking up a VX450 for $60, but he doesn't want to go that route.

Long story short, will it cause any harm (other than the inefficiency associated with minimal load) to run a 700W unit for a 300W full load system. It's the cheapest option by about $40 unless we go with a $20 bargain basement model.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Nothing bad will happen, As long as all the rails are loaded with something its fine.

• Rep+
Reactions: C-bro

·
The Fabricat0r
5,933 Posts
What all is available at your BB? The Dynex 400W and Rocketfish 700W are both from Huntkey. The 400W is more like a mediocre 300W and the 700W is more like a medicore 550W. The 500W Dynex is possibly from CWT, but I have yet to see that confirmed. It could be good, but knowing BB it's probably a 350W that's been relabeled. If you can get ahold of any BFG units like the GS, that would be the best option. The 450 and 550W GS are from Huntkey as well, but they are built a tad better than the Dynex and RF. Unfortunately they are also peak rated so don't expect more than 350W or 450W out of them respectively. Some BBs even have some Antecs that are horribly overpriced.

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by shinji2k View Post
What all is available at your BB? The Dynex 400W and Rocketfish 700W are both from Huntkey. The 400W is more like a mediocre 300W and the 700W is more like a medicore 550W. The 500W Dynex is possibly from CWT, but I have yet to see that confirmed. It could be good, but knowing BB it's probably a 350W that's been relabeled. If you can get ahold of any BFG units like the GS, that would be the best option. The 450 and 550W GS are from Huntkey as well, but they are built a tad better than the Dynex and RF. Unfortunately they are also peak rated so don't expect more than 350W or 450W out of them respectively. Some BBs even have some Antecs that are horribly overpriced.
Those were my exact findings as well. The Rocketfish 550 seems to be a CWT, with the Dynex and the RF 700 being Huntkey. The Rocketfish 700 is $89.99 (horribly overpriced, but on sale from $129) where the Dynex 400W is the cheapest at $79.99. I figured this was the best of all the options he allowed me to pursue.

·
The Fabricat0r
5,933 Posts
At least the 700W is on sale. Since it's only $10 more I would have to go with that. It can at least do 550W safely so it may have some use later on. The 400W is just a piece of junk. The caps in the 700W are much better as well (Teapo), compared TL and Fcon for the 400W.

Oops got that mixed up. The 500W Dynex is still Huntkey, the 550W is CWT.

How much was the 550W? It seems to make a good 500W unit: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/748. I'd probably take that over the Rocketfish.

I swear this is the last edit. It seems the 700W model is now made by CWT, it has the model # RF-700WPS2. If it is as good as the 550W it's also probably a good buy. From pictures it looks like a PSH model which is what Corsair and a billion other companies use so it should be decent.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
order it from newegg and itll be at your house in 3 days=] oh plus the selection is huge. ive heard stories of a FEW psu's making a whining sound because theres not enough draw(300-350 load on a 1000watt lmao). this is very rare. you might suffer slight efficiency loss. but hey look at my system. it doesnt draw much and im running it off a 750watt to future proof it

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by shinji2k
View Post

At least the 700W is on sale. Since it's only $10 more I would have to go with that. It can at least do 550W safely so it may have some use later on. The 400W is just a piece of junk. The caps in the 700W are much better as well (Teapo), compared TL and Fcon for the 400W.

Oops got that mixed up. The 500W Dynex is still Huntkey, the 550W is CWT.

How much was the 550W? It seems to make a good 500W unit: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/748. I'd probably take that over the Rocketfish.

I swear this is the last edit. It seems the 700W model is now made by CWT, it has the model # RF-700WPS2. If it is as good as the 550W it's also probably a good buy. From pictures it looks like a PSH model which is what Corsair and a billion other companies use so it should be decent.

That's excellent news. The last review I found on the 700 was a Huntkey. The model on sale is in fact the RF-700WPS2, and I've had excellent results with my CWT (VX550) so we're going to pull the trigger. The reason we didn't look closer at the 550 was that it's $129.
Good work BB.

With regards to the Newegg comment, I'm only visiting to fix the computer so he wants it done tomorrow. Otherwise, I'm an online shopper for everything but groceries... even clothes and shoes.

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Total bonus. We just picked it up and the unit is modular and sleeved as well!

A modular, sleeved, 700W PSU (if it is in fact a CWT unit) is darn good for $90.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts