Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago I finally got my hands on a decently priced RX Vega 64 LC to replace my R9 Fury X and wrote a review recently. I already knew that another "FineWine" review article was coming the moment I started playing a few games. It took a while to finish everything, but I have benched the Radeon RX Vega 64 LC against 18 different games at multiple resolutions.

This article includes roughly 64 individual benchmarks. Although it was time consuming I believe it was worth it. My review is somewhat unique due to me running my 12 year old Intel X58 platform which only has a PCIe 2.0 x16 slot for the Vega 64. This review will give people more insight into how well both of them perform together. As usual feel free to leave your comments at the end of the article.

The full review includes more in-depth testing and charts such as the RX Vega 64 Comparison Against the RX 5700 XT vs RTX 2060S & 2070S vs GTX 1080 & 1080Ti (+ price per performance) and more specific information such as Real Time Benchmarks, Power Consumption and 3DMark Firestrike GPU scores etc. It's too much to post it ALL here in one thread.

Gaming Rig Specs:
CPU: Xeon X5660 @ 4Ghz
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X58
RAM: 24GB RDIMM DDR3-1600Mhz [6x4GB] - ECC Buffered
SSD NVMe: 3TB - 2.7GB\s Read - 2.1GB\s Write
SSD NVMe: 256GB - 1.4GB\s Read - 600MB\s Write
SSD(x2): 256GB - 550MB\s Read - 500MB\s Write - RAID 0
HDD(x2): 2TB - 330MB Read - 320MB\s Write - RAID 0
HDD(x2): 2TB - 330MB Read - 320MB\s Write - RAID 0
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 1300W 80+ GOLD

GPU: AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 Liquid Cooled - Push
GPU Speed: (Stock) – Core: 1406Mhz (1677Mhz Boost)
GPU Drivers: Radeon "Adrenalin " 20.4.2 [May 15th, 2020]

Superposition Benchmark v1.1
1920x1080p - High Score: 10,685
3840x2160p - 4K Optimized Score: 6,577

Unigine Heaven Benchmark 4.0

3DMark - Time Spy & FireStrike

Crytek's Neon Noir - Ray-Tracing

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus 4K Gameplay Footage

Shadow of the Tomb Raider
TR: Real Time Benchmarks

TR: Internal Benchmark Tool

Resident Evil 2

Red Dead Redemption 2

The Witcher 3

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild @ 4K (Cemu - v1.19.3)

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 4K Gameplay Footage

RX Vega 64 Power Consumption

RX Vega 64 Compared Against RX 5700 XT vs RTX 2060S & 2070S vs GTX 1080 & 1080Ti

There are many more benchmarks in the links above to the full article: "Vega 64 2020 + X58 Review - Kana's FineWine Edition". It took a long time to write everything up, but I think it was worth.

LONG LIVE VEGA 64!!!!

Let me know what you guys think or if you have any suggestions.

·
LTSC for life crew
2,861 Posts
Excellent review! I am surprised the Vega 64 did so well at the 4k res. Looks like quite a trooper as far as video cards go.

For whatever it's worth I am super satisfied with my R9 390's performance these days as well, aside from issues caused by drivers. It exceeds my gaming expectations and just keeps trucking along.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent review! I am surprised the Vega 64 did so well at the 4k res. Looks like quite a trooper as far as video cards go.

For whatever it's worth I am super satisfied with my R9 390's performance these days as well, aside from issues caused by drivers. It exceeds my gaming expectations and just keeps trucking along.
Thanks. I think it's a fine replacement for my Fury X. The 390 performance is great depending on what you need it for. I didn't have many problems with my Fury X @ 1080p\1440p either, but the price for the Vega was a steal. Having more HBM vRAM is also a nice bonus that was much needed for high end 4K gaming.

Compared to the latest and greatest from both AMD and Nvidia, the Vega 64 holds it's own, especially @ 4K MAX settings. I wrote a decent amount about the RX Vega 64 Power Consumption and showed how to alleviate some of the issues for those who might be wondering about electricity bills as well.

·
Registered
525 Posts
My 56 Vega is just fine for now (with my new monitor) at 1440p. At 4K (my old monitor) it was outclassed. I don't have Samsung memory, so my memory can't be OC, but I just raised the power limit and undervolted on the core. I can prolly push out some higher clocks, but it is perfectly stable. Works very well for my needs.

0 - zero - nada - ziltch driver issues. I have only had to reinstall AMD drivers 2x in 12 years.

I'd like newer tech and cooler temps, but I'm setup in the basement, so ambient is cool (but after 4-5 hours of Warzone the room temp HAS raised). In winter I welcome the temp increase in the room.

·
curmudgeon
5,930 Posts
Yes my V64 has aged also. I had a Fury that I was quite happy with until I gpt a 1440P monitor and then it struggled. For more than a year the V64 was a disappointment and was a sidegrade at best. It was obviously stronger than the Fury, but where the Fury was always giving 100% the V64 was lazy and almost never showed what it could do.

Then when the 2020 drivers came out that all changed. AMD switched from improving their drivers to plugging security holes and this Sapphire air cooled V64 exploded. What had been a Clark Kent is now a Superman! Yes that is a bit out there, but the difference is dramatic. Fine wine indeed.

It is OCed to 1660/1100 at -81 power and it has hit clocks as high as 1707 although 1690 is more common. With the fans running at 100% in a case with very good air flow temps rarely go past 60C. The only game we both have is the Witcher 3 and my fps with AA cranked up is about the same as yours. Maybe a touch lower as it sometimes gets into the 70s and sometimes gets into the 90s. Same 20.4.2 drivers.

Anyway I no longer feel the need for a new GPU.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My 56 Vega is just fine for now (with my new monitor) at 1440p. At 4K (my old monitor) it was outclassed. I don't have Samsung memory, so my memory can't be OC, but I just raised the power limit and undervolted on the core. I can prolly push out some higher clocks, but it is perfectly stable. Works very well for my needs.

0 - zero - nada - ziltch driver issues. I have only had to reinstall AMD drivers 2x in 12 years.

I'd like newer tech and cooler temps, but I'm setup in the basement, so ambient is cool (but after 4-5 hours of Warzone the room temp HAS raised). In winter I welcome the temp increase in the room.
4-5 hours playing anything straight should raise the temps especially if you don't have the A\C blasting. I normally limit my FPS to help keep the temps down. I had zero problems with my Fury X for 5 years as far as drivers and daily usage goes. I think I had to re-install the drivers one time for my Fury X years ago, maybe 3 years ago due to me being lazy and not using DDU. I agree with the temp increase.

Yes my V64 has aged also. I had a Fury that I was quite happy with until I gpt a 1440P monitor and then it struggled. For more than a year the V64 was a disappointment and was a sidegrade at best. It was obviously stronger than the Fury, but where the Fury was always giving 100% the V64 was lazy and almost never showed what it could do.

Then when the 2020 drivers came out that all changed. AMD switched from improving their drivers to plugging security holes and this Sapphire air cooled V64 exploded. What had been a Clark Kent is now a Superman! Yes that is a bit out there, but the difference is dramatic. Fine wine indeed.

It is OCed to 1660/1100 at -81 power and it has hit clocks as high as 1707 although 1690 is more common. With the fans running at 100% in a case with very good air flow temps rarely go past 60C. The only game we both have is the Witcher 3 and my fps with AA cranked up is about the same as yours. Maybe a touch lower as it sometimes gets into the 70s and sometimes gets into the 90s. Same 20.4.2 drivers.

Anyway I no longer feel the need for a new GPU.
Wow if that's true than that's not a good thing as far as the initial release goes. I recently purchased the RX Vega 64 obviously and didn't have to deal with AMD latest and greatest over the past 3 years. Did it really "just" get good in 2020. I've been pre-occupied with so many different things lately that I haven't been able to keep with with AMD\Nvidia\Intel as closely as I would like.

Your power usage looks great. I haven't really messed around with underclocking that much yet. I normally just use the Power Saving feature with Radeon Chill, but even then sometimes I think I "might" be able to get a little bit lower. The GPU wattage seems pretty good though from my RE2 results and other games play at decently high FPS.

I think for the types of games I play it will hold me over until the prices settle for Ampere\Navi. Can't wait to see those prices.

·
curmudgeon
5,930 Posts
Yes the older drivers had their problems. Typically I would install them and they would be ok for maybe a week and then performance would fall off. Then the next drivers would show up. Rinse and repeat.

Then in late December AMD changed their focus to security and ever since their drivers have started strong and stay strong. This has lead me to believe that AMD was being hacked and now they aren't.

I don't have anything to show how it is doing do to the hard drives getting wiped recently, but if I can remember to turn on HWINFO64 during a session you will see how it is doing. In certain games it pulls over 300 watts. Look at Trixx as a guide and see where your LC ends up.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes the older drivers had their problems. Typically I would install them and they would be ok for maybe a week and then performance would fall off. Then the next drivers would show up. Rinse and repeat.

Then in late December AMD changed their focus to security and ever since their drivers have started strong and stay strong. This has lead me to believe that AMD was being hacked and now they aren't.

I don't have anything to show how it is doing do to the hard drives getting wiped recently, but if I can remember to turn on HWINFO64 during a session you will see how it is doing. In certain games it pulls over 300 watts. Look at Trixx as a guide and see where your LC ends up.
Bad drivers aren't good. Was this a "wide scale" type of problem. I'm guessing it must have been since AMD has recently introduced a bug report tool in their software. The last thing they need is to go backwards and have people complaining about their bad drivers. That alone can switch people to join team green even if it means paying an extra $30 to $50 in most cases.

If that's the case I think AMD might have made the wrong move over the past couple of years adding all of these "features" that aren't truly needed for the masses. They need to either remove some stuff and fix the driver issues or only add features if they have been thoroughly tested. I've had a few very minor issues with AMD drivers with the RX Vega 64 after benchmarking. Overall it performed great during my becnhmarks though.

Also what do you mean when you say "is has lead me to believe that AMD was being hacked and now they aren't".

Also I can see the wattage from the GPU chip. Depending on how far it is being pushed and what Power threshold I'm using it can be as low as 75watts with Radeon Chill locked in up to 320 - 360 watts in normal scenarios. I posted way more info in the actual article:

RX Vega 64 Power Consumption
https://overclock-then-game.com/index.php/benchmarks/21-vega-64-2020-x58-review-kana-s-finewine-edition?showall=&start=12

With the correct setup most people should be able to handle the power consumption and the heat output with ease in most situations.

·
curmudgeon
5,930 Posts
What I meant is what I said. The drivers from a year ago would work fine for a day or two and then performance and stability would fall off more and more every day until the system was barely functional and gaming was a bad experience. Then the new drivers would come out and it would be the same thing again. Ask around and find all the people who returned their AMD GPUs because of bad drivers.

Then the 2020 drivers came out where they concentrated on security issues. All their drivers this year have started strong and stayed strong. Connect the dots.

I did remember to get my system performance logged a few days ago. We are in a heat wave with high temps and humidity so the peak clocks are on the low side.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
?? I asked about the "hacked" part of your post. I got what you said about the driver situation. I was more interested about why you thought AMD was hacked and now they aren't.

·
curmudgeon
5,930 Posts
I thought I explained that. The reviewers all said the drivers were fine. For me right after installing them the drivers were fine, then performance and reliability degraded badly. 20-30 fps worse along with crashes and black screens getting more and more common.

Then installing new drivers gets performance and reliability up, for a few days. In 2-3 weeks even hanging out on forums like this was a problem, much less gaming. Then the next drivers would fix that for a few days. This went on for a year.

Then AMD announced that they are plugging security holes. Ok........ And suddenly the drivers deliver great performance that does not degrade over time! Their security fixes made a huge difference in performance. What does security fixes fix? Hacks. Take your performance numbers and subtract 20-30 fps while adding black screens and you have what I had a year ago. People were returning their AMD GPUs specifically because of these issues. So many have that there is a big gap in RMA rates between Nvidia and AMD.

·
curmudgeon
5,930 Posts

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I actually did read that topic awhile ago. Looks like not much as changed with PowerColor. Thanks for the background info. Looks like AMD still needs to focus more on the GPU side, but I do understand that they have a lot going on in the battle against Intel + Nvidia. Still that is no excuse, I gave them praise for their Fury X drivers and support over the years for the older GPU.

RX Vega has been decent so far with a few minor driver issues. AMD will continue to lose customers if they don't get their driver situation under control. Also OUCH....subtract 20 - 30 fps....what!? Dang that's bad. I hope AMD isn't setting themselves up for destruction again. They will need to win on both fronts and if Intel manages to drop another bomb like they did for roughly 10 years this could mean trouble for AMD especially since Intel is getting ready to drop a GPU for gamers.

That sucks that the drivers would work then decrease performance slowly. That's really weird indeed.

·
curmudgeon
5,930 Posts
That is in the past tense. I too had a Fury that I really liked. It was a good honest GPU that always gave 100% of what it had. Not so the Vega64. It always just puttered around on low power settings and generally delivered worse overall performance. Constantly updating drivers every 2-3 weeks was the only way to keep it going.

That all changed with the 20 series drivers and now I am pretty happy with it and am not interested in a new GPU. It's a solid 1440P GPU.

·
Mentally Insane User
424 Posts
I had a Fury X and then a Vega 56 and currently a 5700XT and never had any driver issues. I didn't know Vega was having driver issues I know a lot of people with the 5700 series were having driver issues and on another forum I frequent a fair few people returned their 5700 cards because of driver issues but there are some like me with 5700's that had zero issues. I even booted up games someone was having issues with GTA V and The Witcher 3 and they played perfect for me. So who knows.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That is in the past tense. I too had a Fury that I really liked. It was a good honest GPU that always gave 100% of what it had. Not so the Vega64. It always just puttered around on low power settings and generally delivered worse overall performance. Constantly updating drivers every 2-3 weeks was the only way to keep it going.

That all changed with the 20 series drivers and now I am pretty happy with it and am not interested in a new GPU. It's a solid 1440P GPU.
I'm glad you are going much better now, but I agree that it shouldn't take that long to get it "right". I thought it was a solid 1440p and 4K GPU as well since it performed very well @ 4K, even with my 12 year old platform (Intel X58) and PCIe 2.0.

I had a Fury X and then a Vega 56 and currently a 5700XT and never had any driver issues. I didn't know Vega was having driver issues I know a lot of people with the 5700 series were having driver issues and on another forum I frequent a fair few people returned their 5700 cards because of driver issues but there are some like me with 5700's that had zero issues. I even booted up games someone was having issues with GTA V and The Witcher 3 and they played perfect for me. So who knows.
I see. I have read people say that they have had zero issues with their AMD GPUs (5000 series), but others return them for that very reason. GTA V and TW3 should have zero issues since those games are old as dirt.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts