Overclock.net banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Running With Scissors
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, i'm planning to sell my RTX2070 since i'm not gaming on pc a lot anymore, but i don't like to be stuck on the integrated intel hd530 (i have a 6700k).
so i thought it would be great to switch to an APU, but the new generations (4xxx-5xxx) are impossible to find, at least in the regular market ad a decent price...
So the option is to buy a 3400g and a b450/b550 motherboard, but i don't really want to "dismember" my pc and sell every single component...

Looking for little vga for casual gaming i saw this nice rx550 (512sp) and it seems to have a little more power than the vega 11 built in the 3400g.
The could easily found for 130-140€ new and i think it would be a good option to play some JRPG. And i could use the Freesync feature of my monitor.

Another thing to consider is i'm planning also to completely get rid of windows for Linux. And nvidia has only proprietary drivers while amd are built into the kernel.

What do you think guys?

P.S. i saw yesterday a video showing a "prebuilt" system with a Intel DG1 iris XE dedicated and passive vga. May intel plan to release it to the "public"?

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
22,043 Posts
you asked a super open ended question on a dead forum, lol. not really sure what kind of answers you're after in the first place.

unless you're unhappy with the 6700Ks performance I dunno why you're considering the APU route, and if that was the case then the 3400G isn't the move. a 6700K + RX 550 is gonna dunk on a 3400G. my 4650G doesn't stack up against the RX 550, either. it beats out a 1030 but not a 550.

switch to Linux if you want but it's not going to improve gaming performance across the board.

·
Running With Scissors
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm sorry i asked a stupid question: i know isn't as exciting as asking "how to put a 2000$ waterblock on my 3000$ 3090ti FTW etc etc"; but it's what i need to do now.
I sold my rtx, so now i don't know which is the best way to go: i'm not a hardcore pc gamer anymore, but i still love tech. I only asked if it wolud be better to opt for a (little) new build (APU+motherboard) or to put a modest VGA in my actual system...
I'm thinking to buy a Powercolor Red Dragon since has a half-passive behaviour: it keeps fan stopped below 60degrees.
If i'm right, the 4650G has "only" a vega 8 instead of a the vega 11 in the 3400G.

I'm using linux by a while on my notebook, i kept a windows system only to ensure 100% compatibility for games but now i don't need it anymore.
I love the "open source" philosophy and i couldn't take that way with an nvidia vga with is proprietary driver (open source drivers exists, but they are poorly functional)

In any case: thanks for the answer, i wrote what i'm doing, maybe it will useful for someone.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts